iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yakisoba???

Started by WV Sawmiller, February 05, 2019, 06:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

As I remember from a couple of tours in Okinawa soba is Japanese for noodles. Theirs were usually flat and I saw cooking shows where they rolled out the dough like a thin pie crust then cut it with a flat cleaver. Of course most of the restaurants and such had little machines that cut the noodles (Or they bought them already made). We had spaghetti last night and even after leftovers for lunch we had a quart or so of cooked noodles left so I grabbed my wok and a handful of additional ingredients and made a quick batch of yakisoba as close as I remembered getting it overseas.

I took a strip of bacon and cut it into 1" pieces and fried in the wok for flavor and to grease the pan. I added a cup or so of coarsely chopped cabbage and fried till tender along with a cup or so of diced chicken (Pork or beef would work too as well or better), added a tablespoon or so of cooking oil then added the noodles, fried them till hot through, added soy sauce, salt and pepper and ready to eat. Other ingredients you could add would be celery, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, shaved carrots, etc. Another quick and easy use of my wok to turn leftovers into dinner.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lxskllr

Looks good. I don't make much meat around the house aside from spam, but I bet spam would go great with that. I'll have to try it next time I have noodles.

sawguy21

Spam??? I don't care if I never eat that again. The yakisoba looks good, I like Japanese food.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

Spam needs to be sliced 1/4" thick, fried and put on toast with mayo and tomatoes. Always have a can on hand for emergencies.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lxskllr

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 05, 2019, 07:24:16 PM
Spam??? I don't care if I never eat that again. The yakisoba looks good, I like Japanese food.
I love spam. I usually just make it with eggs and taters for breakfast, but sometimes have a fried spam and cheese sandwich with extra sharp cheddar, rye bread, and some kind of spiced mustard.
I don't make any real meat around the house. If it isn't spam, hotdogs, or Italian sausage, it came out of a can, or frozen dinner. I used to be vegetarian, so I just split the difference and went to meat of uncertain provenance. I might still be vegetarian. Hard to tell  :^P

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Vegetarian - Old Indian word for poor hunter and poor fisherman.

Howard Green

lxskllr

:^D

I can hunt, but I never was good at fishing. I can drop a hook in, and pull a little sunny up or something, but I've never been able to get anything good. I just gave up. What I really like is hanging out by the water. Fishing gear is just extra stuff to carry. Now if I had a chance to nab a salmon, I might have a different outlook. I'd love to catch one of those.

Oh, I also like crabbing, but that's easy. Probably why I like it  :^D

WV Sawmiller

When I was in my late teens or early 20's I used to fish some for bass then I got some ultralight tackle for catching bluegill sand such. Pretty soon I realized bass fishing was too much like work. A 1/2 lb bluegill on ultralight tackle felt about like a 5 lb bass on a bass rod and there were a lot more 1/2 lb bluegills out there than 5 lb bass. Actually bluegills are my favorite eating fish. I now mostly catch small bream on a pole for bait then use them on limblines in my local COE lake to catch lots of big catfish. We eat lots of venison here now. It is a staple diet item for us.

Back to the Yakisoba I guess overseas they used Chinese cabbage which is probably more tender and tastier but regular cabbage is a real close substitute. I am going to stock up on water chestnuts for my next batch and I am going to fix it more often too. 
Howard Green

lxskllr

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 06, 2019, 03:16:04 PM

Back to the Yakisoba I guess overseas they used Chinese cabbage which is probably more tender and tastier but regular cabbage is a real close substitute. I am going to stock up on water chestnuts for my next batch and I am going to fix it more often too.
I wonder if savoy cabbage would get you closer to the Asian variety?

WV Sawmiller

Probably. I looked it up on line and what I saw there was listed as Chinese cabbage. i suspect any cabbage, even red, would work fine. The regular cabbage that used was actually pretty good.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!