iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dealing with big logs

Started by Quartlow, November 05, 2004, 06:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

ok big in my book anyway, :D Since my poor old mill is only a 24 incher. I've got some oak coming in tomorrow that they claim is 48 inches.

I'm guessing at this point that I'm just going to have to quarter it with the chainsaw. I've been considering buying an alaska mill for this job in the future. Is it worth the expense? I was just snooping around Walker's website and they have one for like $215 bucks, I can't tell but I'm assuming that doesn't include the bar and chain.

Whats your game plan when you get a log to big for the mill?
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Tom

When I get a "too big log" I just reach for the chainsaw.  There may be better ways to accomplish the task but the task remains "getting the log to size".  I just bite the bullet start sawing away.  Sometimes I split it and sometimes I try to trim the sides to make it fit.

The important thing is that you don't burn up your chainsaw.  Keep it well oiled and sharp.  Don't crowd it and don't let it over-heat.  It would be a shame to lose a $600 or $1000 chainsaw to produce $100 worth of wood.

Above all, be safe.

raycon

48" is big for an alaskan as well. Maybe one of the granberg bar attachments with a 36" bar.
Or screw two guides (2x4's) to the top of the log a little more than the width of the bar/chain apart  and  hop on top of the log with the chainsaw cut it quarters. With the 066 I seem to run 3/4 a tank of gas doing this with a 10'.  So have a gallon or two of fuel on hand as well as bar oil.
Lot of stuff..

Brian_Bailey

Hey Quartlow,  roll that 48"er my way, I'll dice it up for ya  :D!

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

MemphisLogger

Any Alaskan I've seen would have to be modified to make a cut 24" deep.

We use a $30 "Beam Machine" guided by a 2x4 to rip big oaks into quarters.

See http://www.scottbanbury.com/oversize.html

We've done 'em up to 60" in diameter.
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

RMay

I use a Bean Machine and a 34'' bar  ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Quartlow

Well I guess a beam machine is what it will be,  after I try it with just 2 , 2x4's I can't help it I'm cheap!!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

customsawyer

Had to cut up two 40" plus red oaks today would sure like to know what this beam machine is you folks are talking about
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

T_in_SC

UrbanLogger,  How long does it take to quarter a 10 foot 40 inch oak?  I assume you use a ripping chain.

MemphisLogger

5-10 minutes per cut using either alternate no-top-plate/5 degree raker or full skip 5 degree. 372XP with 32 inch bar.  :o

If I'm by myself, I screw/stack wood blocks between the Beam Machine and the bottom of the saw to prop it up at the angle I need to get the required depth and then push it like a circular saw.  ???

If it's me and my cousin together, one of us will hold and run the throttle on the saw while the other pushes the base of the Beam Machine with another 2x4--this is the fastest.  ;D

Eventually I'm going to home-fab or buy one of those "Big Mill" guides from Logosol--fixed bar angle and boat winch--http://www.logosolusa.com/sawmill/bigmill.html  ::)

Sometimes I can't cut quite all the way thru with a 32" bar and end up with a couple inches of juvenile/pith wood still holding the log together in the center. In this case, I cut a rectanular space in the center of the end of the log and put a 20 ton bottle jack in it. It makes a loud rrrriiiippp-crackle-POP noise that's just fantastic.  ;D

I've actually used the bottle jack trick on logs that had a good frost crack already and that were small enough to saw each half. I'll quartersaw logs up to 40" or so by splitting the log in half and putting each "moon" up with the flat against the uprights and then sawing off a little 14" quarter and a bunch of  boards down to another little quarter. Sometimes a chair maker will come around about that time and take a froe to the little quarters and I'm done with it  ;)      

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

gmmills

Quartlow,

I just make sure my 394 has a sharp chain , align the stress check at 12 o'clock and start cutting. Only have a 24" bar so the log has to be turn 180 deg . With care you can keep your cuts to line up pretty close. If they don't ,we just pick it up with the Cat loader and drop it a few times. This usually does it. Put a halve on the mill, flat against the side supports and cut .

I have a second way to break down oversize logs . When I didn't have access to a big loader this was the way we did it . Only drawback was it made a big BOOM and made the neighbors really nervous .

I'm only about thirty minutes from you. Let me know if you need some help.

Gary
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

sigidi

8) 8)Go the swinger's!!! 8) 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

Quartlow

QuoteQuartlow,
      I have a second way to break down oversize logs . When I didn't have access to a big loader this was the way we did it . Only drawback was it made a big BOOM and made the neighbors really nervous .

I'm only about thirty minutes from you. Let me know if you need some help.

Gary

My brother made mention of this second way, only thing is I've never acually met anyone that's done it.  ;D I think for the time being I'll stick to sawing it in half. Be my luck I would end up with a gazillion tooth picks
 :D :D :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

rebocardo

I have been cutting up a 48-50" oak. What I did was cut it into ten foot sections and using my 28 inch bar and ripping chain I would make a straight cut down the end of the log at an angle from the outside/butt end so the top of the bar nose would not bury.

Then stand on some rounds so I could easily hold the saw in the kerf and use the kerf as a guide to rip the log one end to the other. Then I roll it and cut it the same way, one kerf into another to form a 45 degree cut. Just block the log to make sure it does not roll once you start splitting it.

Thank You Sponsors!