Sponsors:

Virgil Leih turning trees

Started by Larry, October 26, 2011, 08:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

And a bonus of drying with a microwave.

A very interesting flick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knc0IT4PdFo
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

He would be an interesting guy to spend an evening talking with.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

T Welsh

Larry, Thanks for sharing! I love people that think outside the box and do there own thing! I am jealous that I can not play in his workshop and talk with him. Tim

metalspinner

Wow!
Thanks for sharing that, larry. 8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Marc Thornton

That is some crazy stuff.  Beautiful is an understatement.

serious microwave there too.

jueston

i've seen those works they showed in person at the mn arboretum they are stunning. when i saw them, i couldn't figure out how he turned them so large at the time....

redbeard

I have not seen anything like it. wonderful artist. Thanks for sharing Larry!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

shelbycharger400

id love to see how he core's out those huge chunks of logs

im supprised that no one has said it yet, but I WANT that lathe !

Patty

What a fascinating video! I too am wondering how he hollows out the 7' vases, it sure would be fun to watch and learn.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Mooseherder

Loved the video.  He sure is good at his craft.  I would love to spend a day or two learning from him.
The microwave he made is interesting.

mikerat

Thanks Larry this made my Friday night!

Mike
WM LT28 logrite 30,48,60 canthook, huskys and stihls, Logrite Buck Arch I have met the best people on this site!

Lud

The man knows what he is doing.  Quite an investment in equipment.  I've dreamed about turning big stuff but never like that! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

AK Newbie

Fascinating!  Thanks for posting the video.
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

SPIKER

that takes some time & dedication to get all that going by experiment...   bet it takes a lot of work and then have it crack...    the microwave idea was a great one.  wonder how long it goes until it switches to cooking faster?   what was it something like 5 seconds a min for the first day or two?

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!