iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many cords are in my truck? miss post, please read other post, thnx

Started by Kelvin, November 04, 2008, 06:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy all,
I thought i calculated the volume of my truck and figured it was close to a full cord 8' x4'x 4' (right?)  My truck bed is 10'x 7' x 30" tall (actually by volume larger than a full cord.  Now my problem.  I am selling one full cord or 3 face cord del for such and such amount.  I thought i had this right, as i cut these dead standing ash trees that are pretty dry and folks like the small straight diameter.  My buddy asked for a load and i dropped one off.  he cut it up and stacked it like a squirrel, and it came out less than 2 face cord.  So, i told him "hmmm... well sorry about that i guess my pile of logs aren't forest cords.  now that same guy buys 8' long firewood in the log from a large company that brings in a trailer load of green oak, for 20% more than what i'm charging.  I'm wondering, seeing as he can't 'test" their wood by cutting the whole load and seeing if it measures up, what would one expect to get when you cut a forest cord of log length firewood?  I think you could stack real careful, i certainly load the truck as tight as i can.  If this is just how it goes, how do you explain it to people, as when they buy a cut cord, i would think you could stack a cord (though i bet not w/ most people's "cords" around here)

metalspinner

Was all of the wood he cut and stacked from you in the round, or split?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

beenthere

The cord is what is stacked and measured.
A cord of pulp logs 8' long will likely not stack to a full cord when bucked to firewood length and then split and then stacked again.
Is that your question?

Gary_C posted a good explanation of the various ramifications of whole wood, split wood, stacked wood, and thrown-on-pile wood. Seems it came from the State of MN, but was a pretty good comparison.

The various methods do raise questions..as the shrinkage factor sets in. A green stacke pile of firewood will dry down to less in measurement as well.

It's a tough business... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!