iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rock ID

Started by Bibbyman, May 29, 2002, 01:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

The daughter of a friend found this unusual "rock" in among the gravel in a local stream.  He took it to an Indian artifact expert(?) and was told it was only a common rock.

What you can't see is that the hole goes almost to the bottom and it is perfectly concentric and symmetrical in all details.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Corley5

Very interesting.  Just a common rock?  More likely it's a rare Indian Sex Stone ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

It looks similar to the rock I posted on here last year for a "what is it". Our local indian experts (MMCC) told me mine was a fire starter rock. Put tinder in the hole, then grind a stick in there till the heat catches the tinder to glow.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

It could also be a medicine rock.  We've got one that is different than that but the principle is the same.  The cavity was used to hold herbs, roots, berries etc to be ground and mixed for medicine.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

Methinks you need another expert. :P

Jeff

My humble opinion is that Barney Rubble lost a lugnut. Ouch!

CHARLIE

Your Rock Exspurt don't know squat. I'd say it was an Indian artifact of some sort. Now I've done some studying and I think it is what the ancient Indians used to chalk their Cue Sticks when playing pool. ???
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Is it an exploding wedge?

Bibbyman

I asked my friend if the "expert" offered him .25 for it after he said it was common rock.  The friend said no,  he didn't offer to buy it but he did ask where it was found.  Another guy with some experience said it was used as a paint bowl.  smiley_indianchief

It's a little hard to see the little groove around the outside – forming a thick rim.  I wondered about that.  Surely it was not for decoration but then I thought a string or thong could be tied around that groove so it could be hung or tied to something.  
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Will you look at that. A smiley for every occasion

Ron Scott

Looks like an indian paint bowl. Let one of the local archaeologists looks at it.
~Ron

Sawyerfortyish

I think corley5 was right with the first guess a rare indian sex stone used as the first form of birth controll :o ;D

Bibbyman

Our farm has no shortage of rocks.  The hill parts being covered with what's call glacier deposits.  It's not unusual to find about any kind of rock on our farm.  But son Gabe came in with one that's a bit unusual. It's very heavy and hard.  I thought it may be some kind of iron but a magnet does not stick to it.  It looks about like fresh raw liver in color and texture.  It must be some kind of sedimentation rock as there looks to be a fern leaf imprint on one side.

Any ideas? 
Sawing since '94

wudhed

Bibby,

I sent the pictures to a friend of mine who is a indian artifact expert. He said that is called a discoidal it is a smudge. It was used for the paints that they would put on their faces for ceremonies. He also said to hang on to it because it is worth some big bucks! HE said he had never seen one hat small or in that good of shape before so hang onto it!

Derek
Proudly building quality timberframes since 1981!

Bibbyman

Quote from: wudhed on July 24, 2008, 02:36:02 PM
Bibby,

I sent the pictures to a friend of mine who is a indian artifact expert. He said that is called a discoidal it is a smudge. It was used for the paints that they would put on their faces for ceremonies. He also said to hang on to it because it is worth some big bucks! HE said he had never seen one hat small or in that good of shape before so hang onto it!

Derek

I only hung on to it long enough to take the picture.  In fact,  I didn't even hold it then.  It belonged to another man that brought it into work.
Sawing since '94

arojay

A few years ago I found a square chunk of dark basalt rock, about an inch and a half square(ish) and about an inch thick with a similar round hole or pocket in it that still had a little round white quartz rock in it.  I found it on a stream bank and the round rock had obviously rolled around on the square one for quite some time and wore itself a home.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Bibbyman

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 24, 2008, 10:54:19 AM

Our farm has no shortage of rocks.  The hill parts being covered with what's call glacier deposits.  It's not unusual to find about any kind of rock on our farm.  But son Gabe came in with one that's a bit unusual. It's very heavy and hard.  I thought it may be some kind of iron but a magnet does not stick to it.  It looks about like fresh raw liver in color and texture.  It must be some kind of sedimentation rock as there looks to be a fern leaf imprint on one side.

Any ideas? 

Anyone got any ideas as to what this rock is?
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Bib, give this a try and see what you come up with. My guess would be its volcanic in nature. Maybe RHYOLITE (rye'-o-lite)

http://www.rockhounds.com/rockshop/rockkey/index.html#Using%20Key

Roxie

Google liver colored feldspar (mentioned in Jeff's rhyolite link).  The sunstone looks close to me.  From what I've been able to understand, the coloration comes from copper.   

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!