iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ya'll ready for them black flies

Started by burlman, May 01, 2003, 05:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burlman

The tulips are popping and we just got that first warm spring rain. OhOh that means that the flies are not far behind. What is everybodies favorite potion that you use to ward off them pesky bugs. Living not far from the actual fly factory here in Quebec, we have tried near to everything. My favorite, discovered by accident, is Dettol disinfectant, which is pretty well pine oil and alcohol mixed together. It is cheap, local drug stores carry it here, and it is natural and safe, it is even recomended as a first aid treatment for wounds. I don't like using those high DEET content products. Cancer in a bottle as far as I'm concerned. Any product that can remove paint or melt the handles on your chain saw can't be that good for your skin. Any of you who never expierinced black flies before come on up for a fishing trip, or if you can't make it we can bottle some up and ship to you enjoy in the comfort of your own backyard. have a good week all...burlman...

Mark M

What the heck is a fly factory Burlman?

burlman

hey mark, not to worry, it is just an expression we have here about who has the worst fly population in the spring. When they are that thick, buzzing your face all day that you think you will go mad, some one else always says that they are worse at there place. More than likely they live in a swampy area where you tend to get more flies because of the cool damp conditions, which we call the black fly factory.

Mark M

Hi Burlman

Are those like a regular house fly or smaller like a gnat? In Minnesota we had these flies that looked very much like a house fly but they had a white rear end (abdomen?). They would bite like crazy and especially went for the ankles where they would bite right through your socks. We called them sand flies but I don't know what they were.

Mark

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

burlman

Gidday chet, thanks for the link on them there flies, Imagine we live with these critters every spring, yet I never knew all those facts about them. I like to Identify them only as dead. Usually the season doesn't last to long, thanks to the unusal dry springs we been having. Once you see the dragonflies come out it is a good sign that the black fly season is coming to the end. Then there is just mosquitos, deer flies, and horse flies left to contend with. Got to love this country living. have a good one...burlman...

MrMoo

I got to feed some of them this past weekend. No question then went away full.  :-[
I figure its probably time to load the shotgun with that bugshot  ;D

Jeff

We are not bothered with them in this chunk of Michigan, although you don't have to go far to find them. The past couple years has even been pretty mild for mosquitoes since its been so dry. But again, you don't need to go dar to find em.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Noticed the first ones yesterday, dem dirty b*$(#*$ can drive a sane man nuts.   :'(   I'll take skeeters and all da rest of dem bugs anyday.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!