iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Butter

Started by Tom, February 19, 2010, 04:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I love Butter.  Salted Sweet Cream Butter

If I found the right stuff, I could eat it like an ice cream cone.

This week, Gael came home with a package of butter that is just like that.  I knew it was good as soon as I licked the spoon that I used to butter my toast.  I confiscated it and put it in the back of the refrigerator.  You can really enjoy good butter when you slather it on a piece of good bread or on a hot biscuit.  You can also get a lot of enjoyment out of it if you liberally apply it to a Saltine Cracker.   I guess the extra salt helps, but crackers don't get in the way of the taste of the butter.

I like it best when it is at room temperature, not hard from the refrigerator.  When it gets too warm it starts to melt and you get the oils puddling around the bottom of the butter in the dish.   When it is just right, it is spreadable, but holds it's shape.   Butter is good.   I like it with hot, black coffee or cold Coca-Cola.  It's smooth, tasty, satisfying, and remains on the taste buds long enough to appreciate the lingering.

I don't care how used to the "other spreads" one becomes, real butter will still bring a smile to your face.

Patty

I love butter too! Sweet (unsalted) for me though.  8)

My mom used to make it when we had our Jersey dairy cow. Lots of sweet cream.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

RynSmith

I firmly believe that bread was created as a mechanism to deliver butter to the mouth (crackers will do in a pinch)!   8) 8)

Jasperfield

Son! Son!

I'm right there with you. I'm just almost (but, not yet) ashamed of the amount of butter that I eat.

A good restaurant WILL serve cool, not cold, "real butter". No excuses. This is primary.

Next: It must "have available" Garner Food's Texas Pete "Hot Pepper Sauce". This product comes in a tall, narrow bottle, with a red cap. It contains whole green tabasco peppers and white vinegar.

fstedy

Butter is truely food of the Gods. I like mine on the cool side with a slice of fresh baked sourdough bread. Made some this afternoon and finished half the loaf already.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

John_Haylow

Quote from: Tom on February 19, 2010, 04:05:10 PM
I love Butter.  Salted Sweet Cream Butter

If I found the right stuff, I could eat it like an ice cream cone.

This week, Gael came home with a package of butter that is just like that.  I knew it was good as soon as I licked the spoon that I used to butter my toast.  I confiscated it and put it in the back of the refrigerator.  You can really enjoy good butter when you slather it on a piece of good bread or on a hot biscuit.  You can also get a lot of enjoyment out of it if you liberally apply it to a Saltine Cracker.   I guess the extra salt helps, but crackers don't get in the way of the taste of the butter.

I like it best when it is at room temperature, not hard from the refrigerator.  When it gets too warm it starts to melt and you get the oils puddling around the bottom of the butter in the dish.   When it is just right, it is spreadable, but holds it's shape.   Butter is good.   I like it with hot, black coffee or cold Coca-Cola.  It's smooth, tasty, satisfying, and remains on the taste buds long enough to appreciate the lingering.

I don't care how used to the "other spreads" one becomes, real butter will still bring a smile to your face.
Well said Tom. :)
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

CHARLIE

Leave your butter on the counter up here and it doesn't melt or puddle or get soft.  A chunk'a butter stays a chunk.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Put another log on the fire, Charlie.  :D :D

LeeB

Lindy bought some butter in a can the other day. Supposed to last indefinately. I expected it to be kinda funky tasting, but it actually was pretty good. Several cans on the shelf in the emergency pantry now.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pineywoods

Where did Lindy find butter in a can ? sounds a whole lot better than keeping a cow in the back yard  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LeeB

I'll ask her when I call home tonight.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

What'd she do, run you off?  :D :D

LeeB

Yep, she runs me off every other month to go back to work for another paycheck. I'm back on the rig right now.

Tom

Oh bother!!   That's  Poo bear talk.

They can be such slave drives.  :D

LeeB

Lindy bought the butter from ebay at a place called mre depot

SwampDonkey

Grandma made tons of butter in the summer months off grass fed jerseys. :) It was always placed in the cupboard to soften, but she kept it cold otherwise for storage. I can remember the churn, the butter tray, the press and the butter paper like it was yesterday. She sold lots and lots of butter to.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

She bought butter on ebay?

I dont know what to say. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

i don't think it was a bid type sale, just a buy it now deal.

Jeff

Is that better?   I dunno, I've never bought groceries from ebay and I'm pretty certain that I never will. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

That's your perogative. It was good butter even if it did come from ebay.

habaneroeater

hi to all the butter lovers here. i got an easy way to make your own home made butter, Enjoy! go to this url
http://heyjude.typepad.com/blog/2009/02/homemade-butter.html

LOGDOG

Good link there habaneroeater. I think we're going to like having you around the forum.  :) Always room for another foodie.

There are no telling how many variations a person could put on butter. As easy as that method is, it wouldn't be hard to experiment at all.

LOGDOG

SwampDonkey

The tragic thing in all this is it would cost me $30 in real cream to make a lb of butter that I could buy off the shelf for $4.00  ::) Even if you had a cow or two, the cream isn't really free.  :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LOGDOG

Man SwampDonkey ... it's sounds like ingredients aren't that easy to come by up your way like they are down here. You ever thought about moving further South?  ;D

Life's too short not to be well fed.  ;)

SwampDonkey

The ingredients are here, there just not giving stuff away. :D They sell a 4 litre jug of milk for $6.69 after everything has been squeezed out down to 3.25 % MF, then that stuff they took out they sell for $1.50 a cupful. :D  You can not go to a farmer and buy his milk direct, they would be fined. Everything costs even if you had your own cows, nothing is a free ride. :D

Thank You Sponsors!