iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid Steer shopping for small firewood operation.

Started by danbuendgen, September 23, 2016, 07:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xalexjx

the case i have is older (1996ish?) and doesnt have any aux hyd. But for the past 6-7 years that iv owned it all its done is load log length on my fw processor with forks or clean up a small header here and there. If its wet at all i use the skidder or dozer. The tires arnt great for off road. Mine has almost 9k hrs on it on the orig motor. I did put all new wheel bearings and drive chains on a few years back during mud season. other then thatna pretty low maintaince machine
Logging and Processed Firewood

OH logger

I  have a bobcat 175 wheel machine. bought it a few years ago with 1700 hours on it and now it has 3000 onit. never had 1 problem. I wish it were 2 speed though. I used it to lead logs at first but now mainly use it to unload firewood poles and lad split wood. would never be without it again ;D
john

coxy

I have a 4625sx gehl for its size its an animal with 3700h on it the only thing with it was it was an electrical night mare its all gone now push button start and pull handle to shut it down   wanted a new Holland but could not find one in my price range but my buddy has a cat 272 that thing will lift a skid of concrete mix all the way up  with no trouble driving that's going to be my next toy my backhoe never gets used any more I use the skid steer for every thing and then some

4x4American

Quote from: coxy on September 28, 2016, 08:53:22 PM
I have a 4625sx gehl for its size its an animal with 3700h on it the only thing with it was it was an electrical night mare its all gone now push button start and pull handle to shut it down   wanted a new Holland but could not find one in my price range but my buddy has a cat 272 that thing will lift a skid of concrete mix all the way up  with no trouble driving that's going to be my next toy my backhoe never gets used any more I use the skid steer for every thing and then some

I did a portable job for a guy and he let me loose with his Cat 277B, that thing was just pure brawn
Boy, back in my day..

danbuendgen

I'm going to look at the older Case and Bobcat on Sunday.Bobcat comes with tracks, bucket, forks, and snow plow. And the newer Case we want to see on Monday. I think we are leaning towards getting a loan for the newer Case. It's only got 700 hours, Cummins engine, tracks and chains, and hi-flow. I don't want another loan, but I think if I take care of that machine it would last a long long time. Plus I like the hi-flow options and heat in the cab for winter use. I just heard of a guy that had a ASV in our area, he runs it with a forestry mower and get $1500 per day. That to me seems like GOOD money for sitting in a machine with a/c/heat all day long.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

hedgerow

Make sure the case has ac also. In your post you only mention heat. I made that mistake years ago with the first skid steer I had that had a factory close in cab. It was a new holland and only had heat. It was new when I bought it off the lot. The dealer had spec it out. I knew I wanted a full cab and heat didn't think about ac and how much I used the ac in my farm tractors when it is cool out but when the sun is out you need ac . Today I run the ac almost all the time in the skid loader. In the winter it will help the heat defog the windows when pushing snow. I put ac in that new holland later on. Good luck finding the right one for you.

Carson-saws

My first one was a John Deere 260 2 speed...hearty machine...bought it used with 68 hobbs on it...liked it so much traded that in 2 years later for a new one... same type machine...
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

4x4American

Ahh he's over Vermont way, heat is more important than AC up here!   :D
Boy, back in my day..

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: 4x4American on October 01, 2016, 07:22:26 AM
Ahh he's over Vermont way, heat is more important than AC up here!   :D

AC is important even in the north. When your sitting in a enclosed cab that isn't much larger than your body that is directly over top of the motor, hydraulics, etc it gets very very toasty in the cab even when the outside air temp is rather cool. I've been known to run the ac in my bobcat when the sun is shinning and the temp is in the 50's.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Gearbox

If you plow snow with a blade that angles . Keep a hefty 4X4 handy or a chained up tractor . YOU WILL RUN IN THE DITCH . Ask me how I know .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

shamusturbo

Chiming in a little late.....CAT all the way. I bought my 287b right when the housing crash happened, late 2008. The dealer is 20 mins away and has parts really quick, usually in 24 hours or less. Fuel cap, idler wheel bearings (what a bear), hard hydraulic line underneath motor, other odds and ends. We've put 1000 hours on top of the 1700 it had when we bought it. Use hand controls one time and you'll never go back. I have picked up 7.5k# jersey barriers with it. Yes the undercarriages are costly. Take into account though how much gravel it will see too. I have run most of the brands and the best is still CAT. It connects with the ground the best. It floats on soft ground the best. Its the best for fuel economy. You can see the edges of the bucket the best. Its the most roomy.

It's a bear to move place to place though. You have comparable hills to Pittsburgh, I'm sure. Make sure your truck and trailer can take the weight too.

X2 on the "learning curve". I can keep the yard pretty clean by swinging wide and making 5 point turns when you need to. High flow attachments are extremely expensive and the pretty harsh on your machine. Most local guys run a true forestry mower for that reason. I wish I could run a mower or stump grinder but don't see myself shelling out that kind of cash for one attachment and that attachment relying on a $50k machine to run it sufficiently.

I put a cab and heat on after the fact. Wish I had AC a good amount of the time. The neighbor has a new Kubota SVL90 that has EVERYTHING and is awesome to run but is a little hard to see out of. 0% for 5 years ain't bad either.

When I upgrade, in order: 1. Steel undercarriage 2. A/C 3. Reversing rad fan 4. Backup Camera 5. High Flow, if I can afford it. 
Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

Thank You Sponsors!