iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need some old timers help

Started by wormy, June 22, 2012, 06:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wormy

hey guys here is what i got 96 woodmizer hyd and a friend just had a big white oak blow down on his farm it is too big for my mill it is about 48"
so we thought we might try to split it we dont have any dynomite but we do have gun powder does any one have any sugestions?

WH_Conley

Chainsaw. More fun to blow it up, but, kinda dangerous and you will lose a lot of wood.
Bill

Kemper

Get some one good with a saw and split it right down the middle.

clww

If it's super-huge, I would quarter it with a saw.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Clam77

:D  :D  If you INSIST the only way to get it in half is with an explosion... drill 1/2" holes as deep as you can get them about every 6" down the length of the trunk and fill them with your gunpowder and seal them with a detonator cap in each hole.  Det cord would be the best choice to use so you could get each detonator to go off at about the same time (the electric pulse travels several miles a second), but it's expensive and hard to get ahold of.  Otherwise... no detonators and fuse cut to lengths (with the holes sealed again) so they go off at the same time would work too.

Having said that....  like WH said- you'd lose alot of wood... maybe go deaf... probably get some kind of law enforcement called on you both for the noise AND for the amount of gunpodwer you'd have to buy for it   :D ... and we'd wanna see pics of EVERY step along the way.   :D

I'm thinking it'd be safer and easier to get someone with a big saw, or maybe rent/borrow one, and cut it in half. 

We love pics though whichever way you choose!!    ;)

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

CX3

John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Magicman

And I second the chainsaw idea.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MJD

Blow em when there frozen, you dont loose much wood that way ;D

g_man

blendinbiz

Chainsaw would be the way to go

LAZERDAN

You will need a chain saw!                         http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XG8y5sPOFGM       Good luck :  your gonna need it !!!!!                         Lazerdan

HiTech

Years ago before hydraulics they used powder wedges to split large trees. You drove them into the log and it used black gunpowder. Light a short wick or fuse and watch the action. When the powder went off the log would be split in two pieces. You had to use black powder, smokeless powder would blow the wedge up. There may still be some around. We had one at our hunting camp till someone tried a small quantity of smokeless powder in it and ruined it. Many of the split rail fences were made using these powder wedges.

Thank You Sponsors!