iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking Delivery TWO!

Started by Jeff, May 01, 2018, 04:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Quote from: Tin Horse on May 15, 2018, 10:19:39 PM
Bought my first zero turn ( Ferris) late last summer. Made it through the season. Last week I got into some soft wet ground and thought speed would get me over it. Wrong . Stuck it good. Casually walked to the house and got the backhoe. Wife never caught on but a neighbor did. They move fast but not fast enough. :o
Did you pull it out or cover it up?  :D :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Hilltop366

You really have to watch out on slopes and humps in the lawn with a non-pivoting front axel, what I find happens is when going over the crest of a slope at an angle you get to a point where one front wheel and one back wheel are on the crest and the other two wheels have very little to no weight on them then the weight shifts forward, now you have no weight on your high side rear wheel so you can no longer steer or stop very well. Makes for an exciting ride sometimes.

Some say a pivoting front axel does not cut as smooth but in hindsight I think I would take that over not being able to steer.

Crusarius

I have dropped mine into the pond a few times. I finally got sick of the garbage tires that came on it and put a set of ATV knobby tires on it. Best thing I ever did for my muddy pudding yard. Only drawback to tires that aggressive is you no longer want to do a 180 in place. It will tear a circle of grass out. But once I learned that it has been the best thing ever. At least on my yard. I live on a hill that is filled with springs and all the runoff from the woods goes through the yard. It is not often it is dry.

Tin Horse

I bought the Ferris because it has full suspension and pivoting front axle. My lawn is pretty rough. One step above bush hog work. I tried many other machines but this one had the best ride ( for a sore back) and cuts great. Well made in the US. Even with the suspension I cut slow, love driving it. I can limit the reverse speed to avoid problems. I can't imagine wide open and cutting grass. Remarkably stable on hills but they do handle different than a lawn tractor.  8)
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Jeff on May 15, 2018, 07:49:52 PM
Had a near catastrophe today. I have a slope in the yard into the side of the driveway.  Simply reversing a heavy zero turn on a hill of slightly wet grass does not stop you or turn you until the last fraction of a second when you are pointed at your wife's newly painted blazer.
I told ya.I smacked the side of my house on wet grass ,beaned several trees .Cut the grass loose spinning around trees .It's a learning curve with these things .That said for a lawn mower hard to beat .

Peter Drouin

How are your bad shoulders holding out?  Running that thing is like sawing with the same moves, well almost  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff on May 14, 2018, 05:10:36 PM
I mowed the yard for the first time this weekend. First time to mow with a zero turn and I was awkward as all get out to start. Even then, I think I mowed the place in half the time and a big unanticipated plus noticed. Because of my multiple shoulder surgeries, my shoulders always hurt when I finish mowing. Every time. Until now. No shoulder pain operating my Wood-Mizer zero turn mower!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Our grass is looking really good and I think I have to give credit to the mower. It cuts so smooth and even. I always enjoyed mowing, just not fixing the mower every time, and the Wood-Mizer Zero turn really makes it enjoyable.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!