iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I even worked my firewood lifestyle into my wedding......

Started by shamusturbo, September 28, 2017, 01:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shamusturbo

I waited 8 years to propose to a girl that doesn't complain about months of working on the road, driving hundreds of miles to sprint car races, and me forcing her to run a skidsteer moving firewood, at night, on frozen ground so I could run the processor. I think I almost waited too long.

Anyway, like most country girls, she wanted an outside, rustic, barn style wedding. So of course my wheels were turning....fast. "Let's build the pole barn I want, get married in it, and then I can fill it with my junk" I got my wish. I had an extremely hard time getting a permit though. It took an extra 2 months and $4k to get what I wanted. I did all the dirt work last weekend. The amish crew has been at my house everyday this week. We are pouring the concrete pad tomorrow. And we are having 260 people to the reception this Saturday. It's 60 x 80 x 20 high (I want to build a loft, possibly an apartment too). They will come back to finish the front.

I wired 100 amps from the house last night and moved the remaining slag and limestone around to make room for more. It's been an interesting week to say the least. The amish crew I was recommended and used (pictured below--I asked before I took pictures) is second to none. They complimented my work ethic this past weekend which made my head even bigger.

I wasn't sure what section to brag in  :) So I posted it in the only section I comment in. Ill post more pictures as it gets finished later this week and maybe some more as I fill it with my "firewood lifestyle".

Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

gww

I can't believe all the poeple that live in places where you have to have a permit to build an out building on your own place.  I live two miles from such a county.  I am so glad that I do not live two miles in the wrong way.  It amazes me that americans think such things are good.

It should be a great wedding and she must like you for her to wait eight years for you. 

I like pictures and so keep them up.
Cheers
gww

dave_dj1

Congratulations on two points, one for gettin' hitched and one for the nice pole barn.

OH logger

congrats on EVERYTHING!! does this mean no Bunyan show this year?? if not just tell her; if you love me you'll go  :D ;D
john

Bert

Saw you tomorrow!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

E Yoder

HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

lopet

Sounds like you gonna have a full barn.  Congrats  8)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

jmur1

Congratulations on the great girl.  That barn looks awesome.  Who said firewood doesn't pay!  Enjoy your party - sounds like a good time.
Easy does it

labradorguy

GRANITEstateMP

shamusturbo,

How did the hitch-in' go?  Hope it was a great day!  Did you convince the wedding party to help with construction? 
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Grizzly

Congratulations Shamus. On the hitchin mostly.

Some impressions from that very first picture you posted.
I'm thinkin the gal must be most as crazy as you and it should be a good time together.
Most of us go by the song "I'm on top of the world lookin down on creation...." but you obviously take a different road!  :D
Looks like beautiful country you live in.

You done good.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

shamusturbo

Sorry for the delay fellas! It has been the craziest two or three weeks of my life. I am finally back to work today (Saturday the 7th) noon to midnight at the power plant, weld inspecting. Anyways, here are some more pictures. I still need to gather up some wedding pictures just so you can see that almost 300 people will fit in the barn  :o

The Amish finished 3 sides of the building late Thursday night (28th), my brother and I stayed up late and got up early to spread, level, and tamp 78 tons of limestone and set grade stakes, and we poured and finished 80 yards of concrete Friday around 7P. Woke up early the day of the wedding, finished the limestone drive up to the front, pull 100 amp wire, wired 6 outlets and 5 industrial light fixtures up for the wedding. Barely got the tables and chairs set up, got showered, and sped down the road to the church by 3P. Had a brunch the next morning, cleaned up from the wedding Sunday, and left for our "honeymoon" to Topsail Island early Monday morning. I planned to come home Thursday so we could hit the last sprint car races of the season last night and she didn't complain.  ;D

I get out of work here in 3 hours and may still try to make it to the Bunyon Show (2 hours each way) before I have to be at work at noon or 1 tomorrow. 

Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

nativewolf

That is too funny.  Where to start.  I've walked and fished every mile of Topsail to Cape Fear, my stomping grounds as a child and young man (til Uncle Sam took me overseas).  Those southern NC beaches in September are a hidden gem of a vacation spot, as long as you don't get a hurricane.  Hope your weather was excellent, the shrimp fresh, and the honeymoon fun. 

Re the barn.  28 and you already need that much space ...you'll be challenging a few posters.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

lopet

Good catch btw, but I don't envy you about the bills you have coming in.   :)
Best wishes to you.
Yes, we would like to see 300 people fitting in this barn , otherwise it didn't happen. ;D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

thecfarm

To both of you,congratulations.
You put some hours in to make it happen.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shamusturbo

I couldn't get myself out of bed in time to make it to Paul Bunyon. Just glad I missed a sawmill year, not a processor year. (Even though my sights are set on an LT-15 WIDE) Anyway, I am glad we hired a very professional photographer for our wedding. They have a month to edit them and get them to us so all I have are peoples random pics of the reception.

Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

GRANITEstateMP

wedding looked great!!! But most important.... How'd ya do at the sprint car race???
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

shamusturbo

The races were awesome this past weekend! My brother had his first substantial wreck Friday night, another car cleaned the front of his car off. He had it fixed for Saturday night.

Sidetracking the thread a little--backstory: we decided we would "try" out dirt sprint racing this year at our local track, Lernerville. That was last April. Fast-forward 7 months, we have 3 cars between us and an older 40' gooseneck to store and haul it all in. We have been to a dozen local tracks and have raced more weekends this summer then not. We even have our baby (20 yr old) sister talked into trying it next year. We have raced all 305 class races this year and plan on doing mostly 410 racing next year. This is also with No (zero) experience racing anything on four wheels....

This weekend is the final race of the year in Western PA. My brother has a wild hare to go to Florida in February. In the mean time, we need to get our firewood company name plastered all over our cars and trailer  8)

Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

shamusturbo

Another side not--- a good friend of mine who owns a very very large tree company local to me, took one of the baby processors home this weekend from the PB Show in Cambridge ( which I missed totally  :( ) He approached me years ago wanting to sell me split, green wood. That was 80 or so cords go.

Anyways, he sold his TW-6 for a Powersplit. It is an awesome fit for the type of wood he is processing and he can keep his split wood quality at 100% since you handle everything. Now he wanted a machine to handle the smallest stuff. He typically sells me log trucks of 12-20" diameter. He cuts and "powersplits" the 20"+. And the <12" stuff he now runs through his Dyna SC-12.

I haven't been over to his place to get my hands dirty for a few hours with him yet. It's on the never ending to-do list. Very interested in getting some time on the powersplit and dyna-12.

Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

samandothers

Congratulations on the nuptials!  Sounds like a fantastic lady and you were smart to take the step!

The barn is fantastic,go big or go home.  Those are some big trusses and an amazing amount of work in a brief time.

We so enjoyed Topsail island the years we went there. 

GRANITEstateMP

Sidetracking the thread a little--backstory: we decided we would "try" out dirt sprint racing this year

shamusturbo,

You got to look out for racing.  One minute your in the stands interested, the next thing you know you've got 3 cars and a 40ft trailer!

I've been involved in racing for the better part of my life.  Turning wrenches and jack handles before I could drive, then turning the wheel, then getting paid to turn wrenches, and now just tinkering enough to keep me involved (mostly with the people) and having a bit of fun too.  I've never done dirt (unless you count spinning to the infield) mostly stock car stuff.  Couple years ago I got hooked up with a really good group of folks running a tour type modified.  They don't run full time, I get to go to the shop a night or 2 a week (wife likes that I'm gone sometimes but not always!) and help out, and I can't make all the races (I work almost every Sat) but get to go to some of them.  These open wheel cars are neat as heck.  I always thought a mod would be easier to work on (you can see everything, not too much body in the way) than a stock car, nope, just as bad (or maybe I'm getting fatter???)

sorry if I hijack the thread.  Sometimes racing does that to me...

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Thank You Sponsors!