iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water heater exchanger

Started by Jack72, November 26, 2011, 03:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack72

Hello everyone

Has anyone ever gone in the hot side of the  water heater underneath the mixing valve (max height not over 4 inches which I'm at 3 inches)         instead of the anode port like they call for           is this be acceptable its still going in the top of the tank in the hot side       I have a 40 gal which I had shut off   after a couple loads of laundry seems to have wiped out my hot water (wife not happy) >:(   I know I have 180 degree water coming in because I have a temp gauge right there?   Has anyone else run out of hot water????  Thanks for anybodys input appreciated
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

brokentoe

Your water is taking the easy route of least resistance and going right to the faucets instead of back into your water heater.  Need to tie back into your water heater tank so you get thermocirculation and can keep a storage of hot water.  The water as it rises through the exchanger heats up and becomes less dense, therefore will naturally want to go up your hot water line instead of back into the tank.  Tee into your anode or other open port on your water heater.  Teeing into the pressure relief port also works.  Just don't go more than 4" above the port you choose. 

Jack72

Thanks  Brokentoe 
I went ahead and put it to the anode  anyway about 15 minutes after I wrote the post            I should have done that in the first place the reason I didnt it was just easier for me at the time and (my dealer said it would be fine he had done it before) and also I thought the anode is there for a reason to protect it so why not keep it in if you can          I had a tankless water heater prior to the stove which I love       that I will only use probably in the summer now that I have this         and now I have a tank again that I had put bypass valves in and alot of other copper Im sure you know Im kinda picky so I wanted all to look nice so I have alot piping valves unions etc. I have alot going on in that tiny furnace closet        I hope it works better for my sake       
gotta keep the wife happy if you know what I mean                                          now that its going to the anode (Im at 2 1/2 inches above water heater now) . I hope it gets better first its the lights on the boiler      which I still dont know whats wrong now this.      One more question  maybe a dumb question but,   is your water heater actually on if it is what do you keep it at ,low,med,or high?????I also have a recirculating line/pump that goes to the bottom of the water heater do you think thats okay too???   Thanks for your help.  Jack
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

martyinmi

Jack,
   I'm assuming you have a copper or stainless side arm water to water heat exchanger. If you do, you should almost never run out of hot water if you've incorporated a re-circulating pump into your system. I have an old Bradford White 52 gallon water heater with no circulating pump and we very seldom run out of hot water. My boiler is set to come on at 183* and off at 190*. My tempering valve makes my water at the faucet around 125*-130*, which makes my water heater think it's way bigger than it really is. My friend has a 40 gallon heater with a circulating pump and he has only ran out of hot water once that I know of(four grandkids stayed over night-nuff said). If it's just you and your bride, I wouldn't think you would ever run out of hot water. Are you running your boiler water to the hot water heater exchanger first?
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Jack72

Marty
  I do have it going to the water first does it matter where the exchanger is on the side of the heater (as far as the Height 6 inches below the top of water heater and 3 above the bottom port if that makes sense but when it breakes over the top of water heater Im at 2 1/2 inches)   Do you think the recirculating line makes a difference in my mind it should keep everything even hotter   and more constant.          Today will be true test   I switched last night before bed as far as anode so I have not truely tested it yet.       Do you have your actual water heater on (running?)  I will try to post a picture                Wife and two little  girls by the way      Im Outnumbered    Thanks for your help Jack
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

martyinmi

Jack,
   I just went down and measured mine. My side arm is about 44" long. My heater is so old that it did not come with the anode. I installed mine using the pressure relief port which is down about 6 inches on the side. I put a tee there and then put a new pressure relief valve after the sidearm. The bottom of my sidearm is slightly below the bottom of the water heater. I used the heater drain port and plumbed it down to hook up the sidearm. There's also a new valve there also so I can drain it if I choose. I leave my water heater on, as my wife does not like to run out of hot water- EVER. As soon as I fire up the OWB, my electric bill goes down between $65 and $80 a month. I'm sure it still kicks on a few times a month, but momma is happy, and that's priceless.
   If I remember right, when I installed mine, the procedure to do it was basically the same as you are describing. My friend did his at the same time as me on his newer home, and I believe he added a few valves in strategic locations to force circulation through the sidearm. It seems like his install was a bit more complicated than mine. He's up north hunting till Thursday, so I won't bug him.
   Sorry I can't be more help. It's been 5 or 6 years since I did mine, and I just don't remember all of the details for proper installation. If you are still having issues on Thursday, I'll ask my friend how he did his. He worked for a plumber for about 10 years, so he has a lot more experience than me.

Marty
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

sparky1

I put my tube through the cold water supply. Thats what my dealer told me to do, He recomended the anode port too, but it was covered by the exhaust fan for the heater.. I actually unpluged my water heater. Ive yet to run outa hot water yet.
Shaun J

Jack72

Sparky
I wish i knew what I was doing wrong with mine but I could probably shut mine off if  the wife didn't do a couple loads of wash and try to give the kids a bath right after but I know it will keep up and be off most of time if I just keep it on low or medium especially for showers and washing dishes but probably not a full tub I just wish I didn't have a standing pilot going all the time.   
Thanks foR your help         If I knew going in the side port would help I would switch it but I just don't know how much better I can make than I have it now.  I think The best system would be a water heater with the exchanger inside the tank but those are a little pricy
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

sparky1

did you remove the heat trap in the nipple that goes into the water heater?? Mine had a little plasitc/rubber thing that you need to take out (my dealer told me about it) or else it must not opperate properly.
Shaun J

Jack72

Yes those also  have been removed     
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

Holmes

Hi  Your first description sounds incorrect when you say "go in the hot water side". The in "side" should be at the bottom of the water tank or thru the cold water feed that has a dip tube on it to take the cold water to the bottom of the tank.  The out "side" should be thru the anode hole or outlet pipe of the water heater.   Do you have a circulator pump on the water heater to circulate the tank water thru the heat exchanger?  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Jack72

Yes Holmes
I guess I do make it sound like that but it doesnt its just like the pic on the central boiler site.  The supply does go to the bottom of the exchanger and the piping below the exchanger goes to the drain on the water heater where also my recirc line comes in also then the top of exchanger piping on top goes to the top of water heater at anode now.  When you look at central boilers site it shows the flow arrows to the bottom of the exchanger  and out the top to head to furnace thats why I probably said that
I stand corrected
I think now that I have my water heater on it seems like I have plently of hot water it may run when there is a big demand all at once
I just cant get away with leaving it completly off.  I hope this makes sense and thanks for everyones help     Thanks  Jack
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

thecfarm

Not that it really matters,but we do not use hot water to wash the clothes. I think the hot water is even turned off. My clothes gets some dirty too. From digging rocks,cutting wood,be it sawmill or chainsaw. Most times I undress in the garage and the clothes go right from there into the washer. I have my hot water tank turned off. Only takes about 20-30 minutes for hot water,if we do need it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!