iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too nice to burn

Started by TreeWinder, November 28, 2011, 04:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeWinder

Cleaned up some sections of a church maple that had blown over and too large for the parishioners to handle.  Towed the splitter and and loaded the truck; all the pieces had curl and quilt but saved some for an unknown future project instead of the woodpile

Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

beenthere

Ed
That indeed is some nice figure in that wood.
Look forward to what you make of it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

DanG!

Why can't I get wood like that here  ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Meadows Miller

Quote from: WDH on November 28, 2011, 10:00:57 PM
DanG!

Why can't I get wood like that here  ???.

Might be to warm for it down there hey Danny  ;) :D :D :D ;D

Treewinder they will make some awesome turning blanks and Welcome to The Forum Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

SwampDonkey

That's like a gold mine, $8/bf kilned.  Nice.  8) Why did you make firewood? :(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TreeWinder

"That's like a gold mine, $8/bf kilned.  Nice.  Why did you make firewood?"

It was already cut in length to 16 to 30",  the church goers would have cleaned it all up except they could not handle or have equipment to pick up the pieces.

Good news is the 10 feet of butt section is still there on the stump,  close to 5 feet diameter.  I just need to figure how load it up.
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

QuoteGood news is the 10 feet of butt section is still there on the stump,  close to 5 feet diameter.  I just need to figure how load it up.

Nothing's ever too big!

Several options can be used to remove your big log.  Search "Parbuckling" here on the forum and you will find many good posts on moving big logs.  Of course breaking it down by ripping is one way to lighten the load and keep it in nice lumber lengths.  A swing mill  can come in and make quick easy work of that log where it lays.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

thecfarm

scsmith42 would like to get his hands on that big one.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

That is amazing and you are right,  "Too nice to burn".   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TreeWinder

Nothing's ever too big!

QuoteSeveral options can be used to remove your big log.  Search "Parbuckling" here on the forum and you will find many good posts on moving big logs.  Of course breaking it down by ripping is one way to lighten the load and keep it in nice lumber lengths.  A swing mill  can come in and make quick easy work of that log where it lays.

Familar with parbuckling, just don't have a trailer to handle the load, so your right on the ripping; going to quarter it by chainsaw and handle it that way. I do have the Baker 18M and will see what it looks like but will at least get some decent length out of it.
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

CHARLIE

That maple is unbelievably beautiful.  I'd call it Tiger maple. Those small chunks of wood can still be sawn into small boards and used for things like high end jewelry boxes.  I'm drooling. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

TreeWinder

I'm originally from Maine and during the 50's and 60's saw lots of figured maple. Didn't think much about it then. Curly is also known as tiger, ripple, flame, and fiddleback was the name used in the Appalachian area. 
From my background, area and knowledge we used the description interchangable with a couple of local variations. Such as:

My own definition is: Curly = normal repetative figure, similar in coloration
                              Ripple = same as above
                              Tiger =  tighter curls with a bolder color pattern
                              Flame = wider pattern with a haze around the curls
My grandfather's definition: bolt wood or fire wood.   LOL

Then of course there is the quilted and birdseye figured maple.  No matter what you call it, it is nature's hidden art. 
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

SwampDonkey

When you finish hard maple with the tiger figure, and the light hits it just right, the strips pop out at you like one of those holographic images. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TreeWinder

Finally got a trailer that will haul the butt section, plan on Saturday as the work day.

My bandsaw mill will cut 30" width.  I'll have to split it to get it on the mill, should I cut it flatsawn or quarter to show the best figure?  Any suggestions

thanks
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

SwampDonkey

Yes flat for figured maple.  :)

T Welsh

TreeWinder,Great find! get your cut list in order and start sawing. if it was my log I would cut the log apart getting different thickness,s where I could for different use,s say for example 4/4,8/4 and maybe 10 or 12/4. you can use it for furniture,gun stocks,turning blanks ect. and yes study the outside and see where the best figure is and orient it and start opening it up,if the figure goes away,reorient it and start again. good luck with it and take plenty of pictures :) Tim

TreeWinder

Thanks for the tips,heading out in morning to get it done.  Will post up some pics when I get back.
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

TreeWinder

Got it on the trailer, split my 4x6s, bent some pipe, but got it done.

Next getting it off the trailer... tough working solo.. got to get a bigger mill

Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

T Welsh

TreeWinder, Sharpen your saw and start to whittle that big thing down 8)
it has two crotches coming out of the stem and the stem looks like 30" or so. If I had to saw it,i would flush cut all wood off till I got a round log,get it on the mill and whittle it down on the sides until you can make it through the big boy with the mill or 2nd choice woul be to cut straight through the pith down the center and then cut the halves on the mill and take what you can get out of it. playing with big wood is not fun,but it can be rewarding! take pictures! Tim

WDH

If that log has as much curl as what you posted before, that is a one of a kind log!

TreeWinder

Quote from: WDH on December 03, 2011, 08:56:51 PM
If that log has as much curl as what you posted before, that is a one of a kind log!

Butt cut show lots of curl same as the rest plus some spalting in one corner
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

T Welsh

Quote from: WDH on December 03, 2011, 08:56:51 PM
WDH,I forgot that was the wood from the curled maple! Your right,I take back what I said.study that big boy for a week before you saw,look at the cambium layer and you will see the waves :D chase them and see where they stop and start,grade it in your mind.I just looked back at your log.if the log shows potential and I mean great ripple all the way through top to bottom.I would take it to someone who has a big thin kerf mill and get it sawed up.YOU could potentially have a gold mine on your hands 8) I mean,take a look at specialty hardwood suppliers(Hearne Hardwoods) and see what they get for slabs,lumber. good luck and keep us posted,Tim

SwampDonkey

Birdseye in hard maple sells for $8/bf kilned, rough 8/4 at the warehouse.

That's still less then Irving's planed 8" x 1" yellow birch 8' at $129 a piece. :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!