iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

banjo build...

Started by zopi, May 04, 2015, 09:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

An open back banjo I am working at...the rim is spalted maple over a steam bent maple core, and the neck is pecan laminated over a nice piece of q sawn white oak. The fret board is either red maple or norway maple...all the wood came off of my mill from hurricane Irene. Except the peghead veneer...it is some random piece of mahogany from the bargain bin at woodcraft.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Zopi,

Looks good.

Good to see you on the Forum again. Missed having you around.

Herb

Hilltop366

popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley can,t wate to hear it!

Dad2FourWI

Hey, looking good!!!!!!

I would not mind hearing that myself!!!!  ;D ;D

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

LaneC

That is very nice. Clawhammer or Scruggs?
Man makes plans and God smiles

mesquite buckeye

How cool is that? ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

This will be another interesting project to watch.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

zopi

I can't wait to hear it either..that is the problem..lol. I have a few more pictures I need to upload.
This is a steep learning curve..and I am never building another one like this..there are much easier methods.
I am doing a very simple inlay right now on the fretboard, then I will figure out what to do on the peghead laminate.
hopefully next week I will acquire the brass stock to make the tone ring, tension hoop and tension shoes. I am trying to make as much of the hardware as possible.
Go look as DOC's Banjos website..that is what I wanna be if I grow up...lol
I have my eye on a big beech tree that thinks it wants to be a mandolin...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Lane..Scruggs..I am not coordinated enough to play clawhammer..lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

LaneC

Gotcha, I think Scruggs is a lot more difficult. To me anyway. I bet it will sound nice when completed. good luck.
Man makes plans and God smiles

SwampDonkey

Following along to. What a hoot.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zopi

M ore pics...one of our little group playing a benefit, me playing my ODE C...same banjo Buck Trent played....

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

sandhills

Thanks for starting this, you folks always amaze me with your skills, building or playing, but you can do both  8).  My wife's family is very musically talented, me on the other hand couldn't carry a tune in a dump truck but love listening to those who can, doesn't much matter what type of music it is.

JohnM

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on May 04, 2015, 10:02:42 PM
Zopi,

Looks good.

Good to see you on the Forum again. Missed having you around.

Herb
x2  Goes missing for 2-3yrs and shows up with a banjo on his knee! :D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

zopi

the hat is deliberate terrorism...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Magicman

There are other "famous folks that wear hats too.   :)

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

dnalley

Is that banjo electrified?  Hope not ( just a personal preference).  Isn't that the way buck played it with porter waggoner, or am  I wrong?

zopi

Buck played an ODE C with a pickup. My sawmill...and my banjo are manual models...

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

rooster 58

That's a really great project Zopi! I've always wanted to learn to play the banjo.

zopi

Rooster...my reply to that is always...go get a decent one and start pickin'.

I beat my head against the guitar for years...I just cannot play a guitar. Been playing banjo now for
a few months. Love it.
There always seem to be five or six guys arou d with guitars...usually all of them doing something different. The banjo picker stands out. (Sometimes by himslef...lol)

Playedy usual jam last night...got hit on by a sixtyish year old lady. Lol 

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

RobSC

Great project zopi. I keep saying I'm going to build a banjo but life keeps getting in the way.  :D I really enjoyed building my mandolin and it turned out good. One of these days I'm going to learn how to play it.   :D  8)

zopi

If you have built a mandolin...the banjo is easy. Plus you get the added bonus of coming out the other end with a pretty decent wood bending setup.

End of this month we will play a church do a few miles away...middle of next month we play for the old folks home, then out 4th of july party, weekend after that is a pickin party at a buddy's house. Still trying to decide whether to go to Amelia Courthouse in August. Busy.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dad2FourWI

QuoteBeen playing banjo now for a few months. Love it.

Hmmmm, I have been playing for over a year and while I enjoy it.... no one is asking me to play!  :D :D :D :D

Last Spring, I was playing outside and black bear came right up to the house! (yes, we life in the woods!) I made some real noise with that banjo, trying to scare that bear away... but alas, it came back later and enjoyed some chicken!!! Well, I guess the bear enjoyed my playing.....

Great job on "picking" it up so quickly (pun intended!!!!!)  ;D ;D

-Dad2FourWI

zopi

When I started the cats would evacuate now they are just tired of Foggy Mountain Breakdown...

Just got the message yesterday, we have another engagement coming up. It is great for these kids to get up on stage.
I just enjoy the opportunity to inflict aural pain and torture people with my weird hats.

Channeling Leroy Troy and Uncle Dave Macon.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

pineywoods

Zopi, in another post, you mentioned a daughter playing a dulcimer. You need to build her one of these...

Called a hammered dulcimer, lineage goes back to bibical times. Not many people play them, it has a very distinctive sound..

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

zopi

I may eventually build a hammered dulcimer, but she plays a mountain dulcimer..I am going to build one of those soon.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

Quote from: beenthere on May 13, 2015, 10:55:57 AM
The hammered...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcRdeJ5kks

The mountain..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UurHbXwVo04

WOW, goosebumps.  8)  I built this thing and just gave up learning to play it...Maybe there's hope yet...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dad2FourWI

Hey great links!! - I enjoyed them both!

Thanks for sharing   ;D

-Dad2FourWI

zopi

I may just get hammered and build a dulcimer.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

What is the difference between a dead possum in the road and a banjo?  There are skid marks in front of the possum.

A Gentleman is someone who can play the banjo, but chooses not to.

;D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 13, 2015, 08:31:35 PM
What is the difference between a dead possum in the road and a banjo?  There are skid marks in front of the possum.

A Gentleman is someone who can play the banjo, but chooses not to.

;D

....and they'd be skid marks in my Goat drawers if a Banjo ran out in front of me. :o :o :o :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

zopi

Difference between a banjo and a trampoline...Take off your shoes before jumping on a trampoline. 

Know the difference between an F type mandolin and an A type?

F type burns longer.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

rasman57

Paddle FASTER......I hear BANJOs!        (Old Saying)  :-*

zopi

Told a prosecutor friend of mine  today that a local murderer should have been sentenced to be beaten to death with a cheap asian banjo...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dad2FourWI

My banjo "tutor" (a 30 army vet Col) gave me an article where a man beat his wife with a banjo (no joke) and the banjo broke and he had to grab another to finish the job....

There are some "interesting" folk out there....

I grew up with my grandpa playing banjo while my dad and I worked in the farm... it was great to hear that "twang" as you were working away..... and of course, Grandpa got out of a LOT of work too!!!!

... but it was hard to be angry when a banjo was being played.... it all just "felt" right! That is why I wanted to start playing last year... and now my daughter has passed me by like I was standing still....

So, again here I am.... while I work outside in the barn or yard, I am listing to banjo music.... but it's not me....

Still, hard to feel 'mad' when there is banjo music playing!!!!!  :D :D :D :D :D

-Dad2FourWI

zopi

I had heard that story.
Played the usual jam spot/show past night...I usually do not play too loud nor am I amplified...so only a few folks can really hear me. Last night  had a mandolin player I had never set with before, so rether than try to sort out one of the 15 thousand guitarists all doing their own thing I patched on to the lead guitar and mandolin and surfed along on them...dude turns to me.."that sounds AWESOME!"

That glow off to the east last night about ten oclock was me.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Glued up the fret board....

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dad2FourWI

QuoteThat glow off to the east last night about ten oclock was me

:D :D :D

Feels great when it is working!!!

Hey, your build is looking good!!! - great work and keep the pics coming!

-Dad2FourWI

Thank You Sponsors!