iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forwarders 8 wheel VS 6 wheel

Started by RobertR., December 09, 2011, 07:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertR.

I've been looking at forwarders for quite a while now trying to learn the ins and outs and all that. Does anybody have any experience with 6 wheeled vs 8 wheeled? I know that the bogies provide a lot more maneuverability over obstacles and all but are there any pro's to going with a 6 wheeled machine?
Object to logging? Try using plastic toilet paper.

bushmechanic

The only difference I can see would be the extra cost of the replacement of the extra tires and tracks if equiped.The eight wheeled machine rides a lot smoother than the six and will travel on rougher terrain.

Jamie_C

The 8 wheel won't be quite as manueverable as the 6 wheel drive but it will also be a lot rougher. If you want to haul big payloads with minimal ground disturbance then go with the 8 wheel.

I have driven 8 wheel drive Rottne's, Ponsse's & John Deere's and there just isn't any comparison to a 6 wheel drive in 99% of the circumstances.

RobertR.

I'm used to running my fathers Clark rangers so I imagine I'll be used to the bumpier ride. Would you happen to know where I could find the spec sheet for a Valmet 860.1?
Object to logging? Try using plastic toilet paper.

Jamie_C

I would try the Komatsu Forest website.

snowstorm

never ran an 8 wheel mine is 6. like they say the 8 rides much better. also 2 more very expensive tires to buy and tracks.

Jamie_C

Most contractors up here run chains on the front and tracks on the rear. I have only once worked in ground bad enough that we needed tracks front and back to climb the hills. It takes quite a hill before an 8 wheel drive forwarder with chains on front won't climb it.

Gary_C

There are no big differences between a 6 wheel and an 8 wheel forwarder other than the obvious more manuverability for a 6 wheel machine and more flotation for an 8 wheel machine. I would consider ride as not being a major consideration as they both can be rough riding depending on terain. But the difference in ride is small and perhaps slanted slightly to the 8 wheel machine. So they both can do the job depending on your particular needs.

There are other things that are more significant than ride, manuverability, and flotation. Things like having an electronic automatic transmission for huge productivity gains and good loader controls too. The condition of the machine is also very important.

I have a Valmet 840 that is a six wheel machine. It is one of the earlier ones with the 4 cylinder Sisu engine and it is red painted so it may be an 840.1. I believe the 840.2 has a six cylinder engine. I don't think I have any spec sheets anymore and the 860's were just slightly larger and always came with the six cylinder engine.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

barbender

I know guys that went from 6 to 8 wheel machines and didn't like it, you get to run every stump over twice.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!