iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mortise and Tenon sizing advice

Started by cdnwhaler, August 21, 2014, 09:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdnwhaler

This is a great forum. I've already learned tons from reading other peoples posts.
I've got a garage full of 6x6 Hemlock and I'm chomping at the bit to build the support system for my future deck. The deck will be attached to the house on one side and supported on the other side by four 6x6 posts with a 6x6 horizontal beam. I plan on cutting mortises into the underside of the beam to accept tenons from the posts. I will also fit knee braces for additional support.
Here's my stack of wood

I have several questions about general mortise and tenon layout.
Based on what I've read, it looks like my tenons should be ΒΌ of my timber thickness (1-1/2") but I'm unsure of the length required and whether there should be a shoulder on the tenon. Here's a photo of a tenon I cut as a sample. In this case there is no shoulder on the tenon.

I have also drilled my sample mortise and started to cut a 3/8" notch for the face of the post to sit into.

Are there any general rules about knee brace layout? Since my timbers are 6x6 I was thinking about going with a 3x5 brace. What about tenon length in this case?
Thank you

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

cdnwhaler

Thanks. I have read that article and it was very informative for knee braces and angles, shoulders, etc.

BCsaw

Jack Sobon's books are an excellent source of information! ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: cdnwhaler on August 21, 2014, 09:50:06 PMWhat about tenon length in this case?

Tenon length was posted in the other thread mentioned above.
Search for your answers most of them are here, you just need to find them.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!