iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cypress, Cherry, Grits and Graduation

Started by Ocklawahaboy, January 01, 2016, 09:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

Hi Everyone,
I haven't been on in a while but a text message from @petefrombearswamp prompted me to check in and see what everyone was up to. 
Since I was on here the last time I finished my master's degree...

Been doing a lot of fishing...

and basically keeping busy

While I was out on the lake the other day, Pete texted me and asked if I was doing any milling any time soon so I got motivated to go on another log gathering adventure. 

I saw an ad for 6 logs.  No size or species was stated.  I sent a text and was told they were "Cyprus."  When I asked about size they said they were 6' long.  No diameter given.  They were about 1.5hr away but they were right down the street where I was wanting to make a purchase that I would have to wait 3 days to take home so I figured it was a good 2-for-1 trip.  I hooked up the trailer and loading gear.  As I was loading, I kept trying to tell myself I wouldn't need the chainsaw for 6' logs but habit took over and I threw it in. 

I got to the location and saw a beautiful two story house with big white columns out front and a sea of cars all over the place.  When I summoned the owner to the front door and we walked around back I found out the 6' logs were 30' logs.  Turns out I was gonna need that saw.  I loaded some of the 8-12" diameter logs in the truck and some of the 12-14" longer ones on the trailer.

I only got about half the logs loaded but I plan to get the others after my 3-day waiting period and I can go pick up my purchase.

After I got done with that, I happened by one of my favorite restaurants.  I had a great lunch, with a great view...

and some great bacon-cheese grits...  The fried oysters didn't last long enough to get a picture.

I haven't run the mill in months so I started it up today and made some small adjustments and milled a hunk of cherry that I had pulled out of someone's trash pile.  Got some nice 12" boards

So, long story short... Pete, we have some logs to mill.  I'll be in touch in the next week or so and we can set up a date.  I think I need to order some blades.

Magicman

Thanks for checking in, and it looks like you have been busy and will be even busier.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Congratulations on the degree and the logs.  Nice looking specks too (crappie for those of you who do not appreciate grits).  Enjoy sawing the cypress.  The cypress sawdust will sure clog up the dust chute on the Wood-mizer.
Caveman

kelLOGg

That was a nice log surprise - I experienced just the opposite when someone told me he had a big basswood. I went to look at it and found it was 6" diameter.

Congrats on the degree! What field is it in?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fishfighter

Quote from: caveman on January 02, 2016, 07:28:36 AM
Congratulations on the degree and the logs.  Nice looking specks too (crappie for those of you who do not appreciate grits).  Enjoy sawing the cypress.  The cypress sawdust will sure clog up the dust chute on the Wood-mizer.

Those fish be Sac a lait.

nice Cherry.

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 02, 2016, 07:38:19 AM
That was a nice log surprise - I experienced just the opposite when someone told me he had a big basswood. I went to look at it and found it was 6" diameter.

Congrats on the degree! What field is it in?
Bob
Instructional technology

Sixacresand

Congratulations on completion of your  Degree, Ocklawahaboy.  I suspect you can Master most anything.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!