iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I can make you one of those....

Started by Ianab, April 21, 2011, 05:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Lil needed a new changing table for her Kindy. Guidelines suggest that they have stairs for the kids to climb up, save on the back strain etc.

Priced up what was available, heck I can build you one of those, and cheaper.

And Kid tested.

A bit of knotty ole Port Orford Cedar put to good use.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom

It does my heart good to see functional stuff built.  Good Job!

Just goes to show that everything doesn't have to be imported.  Contrary to popular belief, local folk can make stuff just as good, or better. :) 

WDH

That is nice!  Plus the kids probably enjoy getting to climb up on the table!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That is a very nice piece of work.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

It's like for changing diapers, right? 
Looks like a very nice job.  How do you end up with Port Orford Cedar in New Zealand?  I've seen it out west here in the states.  I've not seen any stock sold around where I live in the midwest(central region) of the US.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

SwampDonkey

....and it doesn't have to be plastic.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Good show Ian.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ely

Ianab

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 21, 2011, 11:55:29 AM
It's like for changing diapers, right? 
Looks like a very nice job.  How do you end up with Port Orford Cedar in New Zealand?  I've seen it out west here in the states.  I've not seen any stock sold around where I live in the midwest(central region) of the US.

Port Orford (we call is Lawson Cypress) isn't a common commercial species here either, but a lot was planted on local farms as hedges and shelter. So the log quality is a bit average, but a few knots makes for interesting panelling.

That was the wood that was left from this sawing job.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7873.0.html

We have some more on the ground, just need a free weekend to go and saw it.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,50026.0.html

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WildDog

Looks good Ian, a couple of ratchet straps on top to hold em still and a slide off the back, could help to speed things up. :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

D Hagens

Very nice work Ian, I really like the design :)

jamesamd

Quote from: WildDog on April 21, 2011, 05:16:40 PM
Looks good Ian, a couple of ratchet straps on top to hold em still and a slide off the back, could help to speed things up. :)

I Agree ;D

Nice work there,Ian 8)
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Lud

Fine job, Ian.  I assume a poly finish for easy wipedowns?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Brad_bb

I thought Port Orford Cedar only grew in one specific area in the state of Oregon in the US?  Port Orford Cedar has a very, Very unique scent.  I've only seen/smelled it once in a timberframe shop in Idaho, not too far from Oregon.  He had a little bit, was not timberframing with it I don't think.

Again, what you built is for changing diapers, correct?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jeff

My sister has a sequoia growing in her dining room.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bill Gaiche

WildDog, Funny,was thinking the same thing about a seat belt.
Tom your right about the build, to bad that the younger generation doesnt get more into this good stuff we ole f=rts do.
Ianab, good job, bg

Patty

Yes Brad, mostly they are used for diaper changing. However, I think this one can be used for putting on kids shoes & sock or whatever, without all the bending over. At least that is what I am assuming, correct me if I'm wrong!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Ianab

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 22, 2011, 01:56:05 PM
I thought Port Orford Cedar only grew in one specific area in the state of Oregon in the US?  Port Orford Cedar has a very, Very unique scent.  I've only seen/smelled it once in a timberframe shop in Idaho, not too far from Oregon.  He had a little bit, was not timberframing with it I don't think.

Again, what you built is for changing diapers, correct?

Yes, diaper changing. Not the most pleasant part of the job, so they may as well have a nice station to do it at  ;)

I think the local climate is very similar to Nth California / Oregon. The main commercial timber trees are Monterey (Radiata) Pine (90%) and Douglas fir (8%) with the occasional Monterey cypress, nootka cypress, redwood, Port Orford and some eucalyptus and native species.

The Port Orford has also been cultivated locally in all sorts of ornamental garden types, gold foliage, smaller varieties etc.

You remember the smell correctly, very distinctive

Ian

Patty

Rules in your country are different than here, apparently, Ianab. In the pre-schools our boys attended 25 years ago, the rules were that at three years old had to be potty trained in order to attend the school...........no diapers were allowed. Perhaps that is why Brad was confused, I think you said this was for the kindergarten class, which in the USA means 5 and 6 year old kids.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

LIL

Quote from: Patty on April 22, 2011, 05:37:57 PM
Yes Brad, mostly they are used for diaper changing. However, I think this one can be used for putting on kids shoes & sock or whatever, without all the bending over. At least that is what I am assuming, correct me if I'm wrong!

Yup, thats right, and for putting on plasters too :) We do have a changing table in the toilets, but its quite low to the ground, and I know what's on that floor, so not comfortable going near it ;)

LIL
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Quote from: Patty on April 22, 2011, 06:00:23 PM
Rules in your country are different than here, apparently, Ianab. In the pre-schools our boys attended 25 years ago, the rules were that at three years old had to be potty trained in order to attend the school...........no diapers were allowed. Perhaps that is why Brad was confused, I think you said this was for the kindergarten class, which in the USA means 5 and 6 year old kids.

Kindy here is 3 to 5, some kids have got the toilet idea by three, some don't, and even then, accidents happen at that age  ::)

Ian

thecfarm

Nice job. That looks great.
Probaly here in the states a wood one would not be allowed. Not sanitary for code.   ::)  And if a child fell off who would get sued.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

blaze83

Ian

nice job, I like the design a lot, mind if i build one too?  i'm in the process of building a baby crib right now for my wife and daughter to be, we talked about a changing table too. i, like yourself couldn't find anything i liked, all very poorly made and to pricy for what we would have got. my wood of choice is walnut, my wife likes it. ( guess this should say Kim's wood of choice is walnut)   :D any way, very nice job and Kindy is beautiful too

God bless,

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Ianab

Quotemind if i build one too?

Go for it, just don't ask me for the plans, there aren't any  :D

Our own baby chance table was also way over-engineered, like the top is 8x2 pine, but it was designed to be used a fish tank stand once Lara got bigger. It's worked fine for both jobs  :)

With fish tanks

Ian

SwampDonkey

I see the cat. :D

Some 35 years ago, we had just bought some goldfish and had them in a round deep bowl, globe shaped. Had a cat to. We were away for a day to help an uncle move. Came back and no goldfish. :D :D

I know your cat would probably have to swim a bit. But in our case I am convinced the fish jumped out and landed on the floor for the cat. Well not literally for the cat, but the cat took the opportunity it was presented with. :D

Thank You Sponsors!