iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any news on the MS 462?

Started by WoodBurner19, December 06, 2016, 09:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodBurner19

Hey Guys. I went to purchase a MS 461 last week & my dealer told me they were not getting any
more in. They said the new line ups were coming out soon. Did anyone hear of the the new MS 462
yet?
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

khntr85

I bet another dealer around you can get one.... they are *DanG nice saws!!!

Texas-Jim

ms 461 is available, no idea why your dealer said it wasnt. they run around $1040.00 depending on the bar/chain you want.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

ehp

just get the 461, my dealer has them in stock and has no trouble getting other 461's , I got 461 Arctic's and I like them, handle bars sure are nice and warm

WoodBurner19

Ok, so I went to my dealer today, he said he can order one for me. Don't get me wrong, it's a good dealership & the guys are nice.
I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow on the 461. I should get it within a week. BTW- its $950
Thanks for all the help
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

khntr85

You WILL love the saw!!!!!

Do not judge her until you you get 10-15 tanks ran threw her...

Verticaltrx

Not sure if you've already bought the saw or not, but right now Stihl is selling the Ms461 for the price of the Ms441, but I don't think they advertise this (you have to ask/have your dealer call stihl). This is due to the fact that the Ms441 is either out of production or unavailable at this time, so they are offering the 461 for the 441 price. Like I said, your dealer may or may not be aware of this. I just picked up a new 461 with 20" b/c for $865 on monday.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

WoodBurner19

I'm going tomorrow to my dealer. I will ask them about the price.
Thanks for the info!

joe_indi

Why dont you wait till 2017?
You might have a chance to choose a 382 or a 462.
(The 461 is a great saw)
You get more choice
Joe

Jeff

Quote from: WoodBurner19 on December 06, 2016, 09:35:58 PM
Hey Guys. I went to purchase a MS 461 last week & my dealer told me they were not getting any
more in. They said the new line ups were coming out soon. Did anyone hear of the the new MS 462
yet?

Stihl just sent me a new banner yesterday promoting the 461. It is in rotation at the top, or, here it is below.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

wetherby

We just demo'd the European version of the MS 462 for Stihl International.  It is an awesome saw.  But it will be probably another year out for U.S. market.

DelawhereJoe

Justed Googled Stihl ms 462 c-m and found what looks like a German company selliing the 462 c-m for 1248.00€.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Reddawg

I purchased the 461R last week with the 24 in b/c and it's a beast! It isn't broken in yet, but pulled through a 32" elm like butter. The 36RM chain, full comp, that it came with is a little choppy, hanging up a couple of times but the power of the saw will drag you right back into it when it's slightly moved.
This is a saw that will be difficult to match, both power and reliability. Great balance and quality engineering. The filtration system may be the only thing that I question, but if you are serious about cutting, this will not disappoint. I tried the Dolamar before the 461R and was glad I did. This is one that you will have forever if you treat it with respect. Once you realize the time you save with this saw, you will not regret the $$$. Mine tipped the scale at about 1200, but it already paid itself.

joe_indi

The MS462 maybe yet to come, but this fantastic saw derived from the old 038 would be a great buy as a companion for a MS461.
http://www.dmi.com.ph/stihl/products/stihl-products/chain-saws/professional-chain-saw/257

khntr85

Quote from: Reddawg on June 26, 2017, 05:50:27 PM
I purchased the 461R last week with the 24 in b/c and it's a beast! It isn't broken in yet, but pulled through a 32" elm like butter. The 36RM chain, full comp, that it came with is a little choppy, hanging up a couple of times but the power of the saw will drag you right back into it when it's slightly moved.
This is a saw that will be difficult to match, both power and reliability. Great balance and quality engineering. The filtration system may be the only thing that I question, but if you are serious about cutting, this will not disappoint. I tried the Dolamar before the 461R and was glad I did. This is one that you will have forever if you treat it with respect. Once you realize the time you save with this saw, you will not regret the $$$. Mine tipped the scale at about 1200, but it already paid itself.

I agree with it 100% man, the 461 is great...every time I use it I am more impressed and I have had it a 1-1/2 years....mine usually wears the 25" bar...I actually have a 32" with full skip chain, but I have never tried it yet....I also installed the HO oiler in mine...

I don't know about you buy my saw kept getting stronger til atleast 15-20 tanks of fuel....

A couple weeks ago I drilled holes in the baffle, enlarged the exghuast outlet some and re-tuned the carb....I didn't get to carried away with the exghuast hole size, the main thing is getting the baffle out of the muffler and enlarging the existing exghuast hole some....I will tell you I can feel power gain for sure....it helps the saw stay cooler and gets rid of exghuast faster...

After i did this modification I could tell excactly why people say the saw is "choked" down from the factory to meet EPA standards.....the saw ran great before these mods, but it now runs even better...I beieve these mods help the saw in every possible way...if you get some spare time I would HIGHLY recommend you do this to your saw!!!

Reddawg

I'm hear ya and I'd like to see what you did to the muffler. I got to admit I don't feel right yet doing a muffler mod to a week old saw, but when I get a few more tanks through it I may just see what I'm able to get out of it.
I did similar on my old 034, where I basically took out the entire baffle inside, but kept the cover exhaust the same just to keep sparks and major heat deflected away from me. Not quite sure if I noticed a huge difference, and now with the 461, I guess I won't need to really find out.
If you have a pic or two of your muffler mod, it would be great to see what is possible.
I just might try on semi-skip, semi-chisel as this has been sweet on the 034. The 461 has so much power it may not be needed but snagging of the full comp chain is pain. I'm not complaing, just wanting to keep the saw dust pouring out the back. Man that think can throw some chips!

khntr85

Quote from: Reddawg on June 28, 2017, 09:52:09 AM
I'm hear ya and I'd like to see what you did to the muffler. I got to admit I don't feel right yet doing a muffler mod to a week old saw, but when I get a few more tanks through it I may just see what I'm able to get out of it.
I did similar on my old 034, where I basically took out the entire baffle inside, but kept the cover exhaust the same just to keep sparks and major heat deflected away from me. Not quite sure if I noticed a huge difference, and now with the 461, I guess I won't need to really find out.
If you have a pic or two of your muffler mod, it would be great to see what is possible.
I just might try on semi-skip, semi-chisel as this has been sweet on the 034. The 461 has so much power it may not be needed but snagging of the full comp chain is pain. I'm not complaing, just wanting to keep the saw dust pouring out the back. Man that think can throw some chips!

Yes, the mod is definitely not needed, I just have OCD..

No I dont have any pics...but if you look at pics of the inside of the 461 muffler, just imagine a bunch of 1/4"  holes in the baffle...it just helps rid the motor of heat/exghuast...like I said the saw is great as it is, this mod just helps her run cooler, and in turn gives a power/response bust...

I will get a pic of the exghuast opening thought...like I said I stuck to the conservative side and didnt get carried away with a huge exghuast opening.....yes theybthrow chips hard LOL!!

JJinAK

I was in the same boat.  I wanted to wait for the 462, but couldn't really get a straight answer on the delivery.  I went with the 461R w/ a 28" b/c.  I went with the full skip chain.  I love the saw.  I only have about 4 tanks through it at the moment, but I'm really impressed w/ it.  For a bigger saw it doesn't feel heavy.  Has great balance.  I'm still not sold on the wrap handle, but it was all they had so I took it.  Time will tell on that.  My local dealer gave me a great deal.  I picked up the saw, b/c, backup chain and a jug of oil for <$1000 usd.

I would still like to know about the availability of the 462.  I'm intrigued by that saw.  There's no way I could swing that now as I don't feel like sleeping in the garage.....

JaJ
MS461
MS362

khntr85

Quote from: JJinAK on July 06, 2017, 11:09:29 AM
I was in the same boat.  I wanted to wait for the 462, but couldn't really get a straight answer on the delivery.  I went with the 461R w/ a 28" b/c.  I went with the full skip chain.  I love the saw.  I only have about 4 tanks through it at the moment, but I'm really impressed w/ it.  For a bigger saw it doesn't feel heavy.  Has great balance.  I'm still not sold on the wrap handle, but it was all they had so I took it.  Time will tell on that.  My local dealer gave me a great deal.  I picked up the saw, b/c, backup chain and a jug of oil for <$1000 usd.

I would still like to know about the availability of the 462.  I'm intrigued by that saw.  There's no way I could swing that now as I don't feel like sleeping in the garage.....

JaJ
Just wait til you run 10-more tanks threw that saw, she will really wake up then...

The more I have seen the 462, (and I know most may disagree), I think I like the look of the 461 a little more....yes it will be interesting to see the mtronic and spring AV on the 462, and it better have a pre-filter airfilter system too...

I am glad I got my 461 last year, I like to be able to adjust my carb, it may not be as "perfect" as a system as mtronic, but not near as much can go wrong with it either....when I pick up my 461, I know she will start, will cut, and will make me happy....

Oh I don't like those wrap handles, I stilymp to much with my saw to have one....I did put the HO oil pump in mine, which ours should have....you can always by the regular handle bar if need be!!

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

teakwood

it says: in summer 2017, which is now in Europe so should be already available or be within 1-2 month.
Wow!!  6 hp with 6 kilos weight!! that's impressive
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

I like how the 462 has a low profile 1 piece top cover from using a HD canister air filter mounted behind the carb not on top.
Looks like a large version of a MS261C.

This 72.2cc 13.2 lb. MS462C doesn't look to be a saw that's replacing the MS461, more for replacing the MS441C. As the 70.7 cc 441 is the exact same 14.6 lb weight of the 76.5cc 461 with less power.

This is exciting times in the industry as in a few weeks this August Husqvarna will be introducing their new 70cc 572XP in Europe. But from pictures I seen the 572 has a bloated high top cover and retains a primer bulb.

Just like the excitement back in 1988 when the Stihl 044AV was introduced to challenge the market leading Husqvarna 268XP ;D

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

PNWRusty

I want one!

Not because of that video though. I'll admit I don't recognize the wood he cut but it  didn't look very hard except for the non-impressive cutting speed. I think a more effective chain might have made for a more impressive demo!

Texas-Jim

Talked to technical advisor at Stihl today and he knows nothing of a ms 462 being released in the USA.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

Thank You Sponsors!