iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saw chain pitch

Started by OH logger, March 18, 2017, 08:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

do any loggers on here run .404 chain?? or mostly 3/8?? some other loggers ive talked to said they used to run .404 and loved it but just hard to get chains and bars everywhere. i think they say they stay sharp better too but is more expensive.  I was thinkin if it were that great I would order some ahead so I have some on hand. i run husky 395's with 50 guage, 3/8 pitch, 24 inch bars, full comp or semi skip chains in nice size timber. suggestions??
john

ohiowoodchuck

I run .404 on my 3120 with a 36" bar. I think it was 43.00 for a Stihl rsc chain.
Education is the best defense against the media.

longtime lurker

Only saw I've got that runs anything else is a 192T Stihl, and I'd change that over too if I thought I'd get away with it. Everything else runs 404/063. I will not buy a saw that cannot be fitted for it: I think that might become an issue at some point because it's going the way of the dinosaurs but while I can stay with it I will.

My main felling saws are 395's  The newer saw runs a 28" with semichisel. The spare runs either the same setup or I'll run it with a 36" bar and full chisel for the outsize rainforest stuff.

I don't think it stays any sharper then 3/8 in the same tooth style but I find it faster and easier to sharpen. I can see 404 without my glasses is probably part of it, but 3/8 seems fiddly to me after so many years of 404.
In a lot of the hard stuff we cut bar life is extended with 404: that little bit of extra daylight around the bar means it all runs that fraction cooler. Bit easier to start a wedge if a tree sits back, bit less inclined to pinch when crosscutting.
A lot of marginal advantages but they're there.

Options are a bit limited for chain compared with 3/8 but it's simple. Use Stihl 46RS chisel or 46RM semi-chisel for all except really dirty logs. For really dirty logs use Carlton B3S chipper.
Any other option would be a waste anyway.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!