iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American loggers show and storing timber in the woods for years

Started by akkamaan, March 23, 2017, 08:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akkamaan

Hello everyone.
Have been lurking around here for a few years. Great forum. Now I have a question.
One of my Swedish friends told me he was watching a couple of episodes of the American Loggers TV-show. He noticed that they were storing cut timber "in the woods" for a year or longer until they got an order from the sawmill. What is the reason for cutting and storing instead of storing alive "on the root" and then "cut and deliver"?
In Sweden this would be illegal due to stored timber will attract insects that later will attack live trees. Also, the timber will be affected fungi and start a rotting process.
Can someone lease give my some relevant input on the "Maine way" of doing this?!

schmalts

It's just a guess,  but I would say it's about contract lengths and fluctuations in log prices.

thecfarm

One of those reality show?  ::)
I saw 2 men pick up a 500 pound alligator and put it in a back of a pick up on one of those shows.  ::)  I would think it was a mistake.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodhauler

Quote from: akkamaan on March 23, 2017, 08:39:06 AM
Hello everyone.
Have been lurking around here for a few years. Great forum. Now I have a question.
One of my Swedish friends told me he was watching a couple of episodes of the American Loggers TV-show. He noticed that they were storing cut timber "in the woods" for a year or longer until they got an order from the sawmill. What is the reason for cutting and storing instead of storing alive "on the root" and then "cut and deliver"?
In Sweden this would be illegal due to stored timber will attract insects that later will attack live trees. Also, the timber will be affected fungi and start a rotting process.
Can someone lease give my some relevant input on the "Maine way" of doing this?!
Lots of your bigger contacters stock pile pulpwood, mostly hardwood. Never stockpile logs or softwood pulp. It don't set around for a year either. Maybe from late fall to mud season.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

akkamaan

Thanks all for answers. I want to clarify, this was supposed to be sawmill timber, not pulpwood that they stored....
I can see hardwood pulpwood being stored like that even though it might lower the quality with time

Onthesauk

Big mills in the NW do it all the time.  Sort it and stockpile it; have a backlog for fire season or snow season.  Doubt that it ever gets held longer then a year, they rotate through it.  May put it under sprlinkers during the summer.  But in a yard, not the woods,.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

akkamaan

Quote from: Onthesauk on March 26, 2017, 08:28:45 PM
Big mills in the NW do it all the time.  Sort it and stockpile it; have a backlog for fire season or snow season.  Doubt that it ever gets held longer then a year, they rotate through it.  May put it under sprinklers during the summer.  But in a yard, not the woods,.
Thanks Onthesauk,
I live here in PNW as well. Have a couple sawmills here in Port Angeles and of course they stock pile timber certain period but not for a year and espicially not without sprinkling water on it... But usually we have rain that provide most of that...LOL

Thank You Sponsors!