iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

240C Timberjack

Started by David-L, December 17, 2014, 08:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Going to look at a 240C with a John Deere winch and a 4bt cummings, Cable machine. I am selling my hay equipment, and gonna log full time and need to put a little more behind a machine than the 225TJ can. The 225 pulls good but weighs considerably less. Anyone know about this winch setup and I don't know squat about a 4bt Cummings. Curious about fuel consumption compared to the 353 Detroit.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

BargeMonkey

Had a 4BT in a 405 Franklin, you would have to run it hard to use 50gal in 3 days. The deere 4000 winch will yank that skidder backwards,good winch. The parts are out there for a 240C, just 99% of the ones ive seen have been run to death, how many hours does this one have ?

Jhenderson

All I know is it's spelled Cummins and it won't wake the neighbors.

David-L

bargemonkey, 8k hrs , wrapped in ice chains 1 owner operator. 35k asking, maybe less, have to look. friend has seen it and says it's very straight and in excellent condition. Private sale.

TheDirt

I have one and I like it a lot. the winch is a beast.
With the 4bta I have to really be hogging wood to burn 10 gallons In day. Course I work alone so it idles a fair amount. Starts easy In the cold too.

barbender

Quote from: Jhenderson on December 17, 2014, 08:42:18 PM
All I know is it's spelled Cummins and it won't wake the neighbors.

X2,  it's Cummins and whenever I spend more than an hour on my ol' Pettibone I dream of a 4bt being under the hood rather than the 3-53.
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

The hours arent bad, and figure a small cable skidder has ran idle 1/3-1/2 its life anyway. Thats a 6-7 tree machine all day long on not much fuel. 23.1 rubber ? Price ? Ive seen guys asking 40-45K for a few that where dog tired, you start getting above that and your into a newer 540g3 price range.

David-L

? The dirt, is the reverser in the transfer, have brakes like the A series front and back transfer. I am setting up a time to look at it today. May pm you with some questions since you are familiar with it.

david l

timberlinetree

Goog luck and hope it works out! Hey no hay?
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

TheDirt

Reverser is in the transfer, brakes are on either end of the transfer. Pulling that transfer is a task with that huge winch above it.  Nice thing with the c and maybe other models too I'm not sure, is that you can winch in while in reverse.

deastman

The 4BT is a great little engine. I have one in my processor and it's awesome on fuel,  can cut all day on 20 gallons. Parts are easy to find and it's fairly simple to work on. I run synthetic oil in mine and it never fails to start no matter how cold it gets up here.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

loggah

There the best of the 200 series timberjacks,cummins motor and john deere winch, the way to go. Most who have those machines dont get rid of them,when they do its to go to a power shift.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

David-L

Looking on Sunday, made contact today and it sound good.

ehp

what you are looking at is pretty much the same as mine but the winch, I got the heavier rearends, cummins motor , yes you can winch in reverse, well at least I can , I burn close to 20 gallons a day working by myself , Not sure on yours but I can pull the transfer case without moving the winch, I got lots of room to get the transfer case out . Parts are very easy to get and cheap , I have had this machine now going into my 3rd year and it has broke very little stuff , back rearend yoke and u -joint , I put new brakes on mine once I bought it as the others had oil all the brakes , 1 of my friends has the same machine as mine with the john deere winch and the only thing I ever seen break on it was a spring inside the bottom I believe , Larry had to fit it twice now but machine has a ton of hours on it

TheDirt

I did my brakes too, for the same reason, gear oil had gotten in. Unfortunately with the jd winch there is nowhere near the room that you have with the gearmatic. Instead of pulling the winch I pulled the brakes off the transfer in the skidder then pulled it out in three pieces. Rebuilt the transfer and both brakes, then put it back together in the skidder, it wasn't as fun as doing it on a workbench but it worked. Mine is a 97 on its second motor (this motor has like 1000hrs now) I got a good deal on it, but it had been run hard, had to cut out around the old bushings on the walking beam and basically start over,by building up the frame to hold a new bushing. I did a lot of work on it the first spring I had it, but I look at it as an investment, I'm confident that these will hold their value. That said, if I had the choice between spending 45-50k on a real sweet 240c or a 540gII I would probably go with the GII, or a tj360.

ehp

I paid alot less than that for mine , I guess I was in the right place at the right time . Big thing for me as well is they are very easy to get in and out of compared to most skidders , those 740's we had were a bitch to get in and out of , both were cable and the 1 had a second winch on it

ga jones

If you find a 240c with a a Deere 4000 winch under 35000 your doing good.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

David-L

I am looking Sunday, I have done brakes in both my A series and also the walking beam bushings and had to do new weld mounts. That project was a burr. I am going to sell the 225 which is in excellent condition if this works out. Very straight 225D with heavy eatons under it. if it's mean't to be it will happen.

David l

ehp

a 1997 240 sold here about 6 months ago and I knew the skidder well and it very good shape , only problem was I didnot know the owner was going to sell it or I would of bought it in a heart beat  , it sold for $19,000 and it had the JD winch on it and a low hour machine as they only ran it about 2 months of the year in the winter time

ga jones

I've seen 2 in last year sell close to here for 45000
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

TheDirt

19k would be the deal of the century, I paid 27k for mine and it wasn't exactly mint.

ehp

so what your saying is mine is worth alot more than what I paid, I like those kind of numbers 8)

David-L

I am out the door in 30 minutes and heading north. Cant' wait to hear the cold start and shake the machine down. The rainy weather hasn't been good for the checkbook but willing to chance it if the machine is right. Anything I need to know about these winches.

BargeMonkey

Oil level is on the left side, couple plugs. Brake adjustment is on right side, very easy. I think they are near bullet proof. That winch will break cable and yank that 240 sideways.

ga jones

Huh. Must not have went well. No update😳

Thank You Sponsors!