iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my self a 450c jd

Started by lynde37avery, December 24, 2014, 09:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynde37avery

1974 winch etc. 400 hrs on unit. Runs mint. I need help building limb risers tho.
Detroit WHAT?

Firewoodjoe

lynde37avery

Yep. Bunching and building skid roads etc. I got work for it right off I'm so excited.
Detroit WHAT?

David-L

Congratulations and Merry Christmas. Looks like a righteous machine. I have some time on them and they are excellent for alot of practical uses.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

redprospector

Nice looking dozer. Mine is a 450BC, looks just like yours.
Limb risers are pretty simple on them. I'll try to get a picture of the ones I put on mine.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

loggah

lynde,There a nice machine with a lot of power,make sure to check the bolts and frame rails right where they bolt to the drop boxes. They have a habit of cracking right at the weld ,and if there run with the frame cracked ,or bolts loose ,next thing you know you have a cracked transmission case!!!!! Dont ask how i know !!!!! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

lynde37avery

Ah loggah I will thank you. I'll have some pics of it pulling wood by the weekend I'm sure. And hopefully am idea for risers on it. but for right now I'm a go have some Christmas fun with the family.
Detroit WHAT?

snowstorm

i have a 450 just like that i bought in 86. like loggah says the side frames break where they bolt to the final drive housing. most of them broke. weld it and renforce it if it hasnt been done. a 74 would have the old style front cross beam that used the top hat bushings and bolts. they were trouble but i have a cure for it. could you get a better picture of the beam. the rear one will wear the round beam and the hole it goes thru in the track frame. if that is real loose you can take the track frame off and build it up with weld then grind it to fit. its quite a job.in cold weather push the clutch all the way down and it will start easier. half way dose the foward  reverence clutchs all the way dose the dry engine clutch.its a 2 sp power shift with a 4 sp manual.

ohiowoodchuck

Very nice machine. I must say I'm envious. I hope to buy one for myself next year along with a skidder to work on my farm.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Corley5

I like it  8) 8) 8)  A 450 sized machine is on my list  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lynde37avery

It's like my christmas present to myself. I been wanting one for a long time now.
Detroit WHAT?

timberlinetree

That dozer is sweet! It will come in handy. Congratulations 8)!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Mbunten

Check with PB&H equipment in Antrim NH... I bought a complete canopy with limb risers for my 350 from those guys...If they don't have it, they'll find it for you!

Matt
Carpenter, furniture and cabinet making. Maple sugaring, Christmas trees, seasonal firefighter and prescribed fire crew member, USDA Forest Service, NH-WMF

1970 JD350 with forestry package, JD 2038R with grapple and Igland 3501 winch. Stihl and Husky saws

g_man

I have a TD7 Dresser with limb risers. Only trouble is the exhaust stack sticks up above the risers. So watch out for that.
Those small dozers can be pretty useful.

FayettesFinest

We have a 450 dozer and highlift at work. They'll do anything you want them to as long as there's fuel in the tank.
A handful of junk saws and a junk F250

BargeMonkey

A 450 ran right will do everything you want. My dad said the same thing they said about the housings and track frames, we had a 450B-C in the 80's which had trouble. Limb risers are around for them, and undercarriage parts arent to bad in price. Soon you will become a master at messing with a 3315 winch, its an art to getting them right.

ohiowoodchuck

Would anybody have any pictures of where they crack at on these machines. I just would like to see some examples so I know what to look for when I go looking.

lynde37avery

Yea pics of that. I think mines been done I'll snap a pic of what I think your talking about asap.
Detroit WHAT?

BargeMonkey

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on December 28, 2014, 12:38:01 PM
Would anybody have any pictures of where they crack at on these machines. I just would like to see some examples so I know what to look for when I go looking.
Buy a G series dozer with the hoses out the front and you will never worry about anything.  ;)  got almost 11k hrs on mine, and she has had a hard  life.

loggah

The weld cracks where the frame is welded to the plate that bolts to the steering clutch housing.On the later B and C series John Deere gusseted the inside of the frame to that plate,and some still crack.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: loggah on December 30, 2014, 08:26:25 AM
The weld cracks where the frame is welded to the plate that bolts to the steering clutch housing.On the later B and C series John Deere gusseted the inside of the frame to that plate,and some still crack.
Is there a crossmember of some sorts in this area? My uncle told me to look around that area for cracks or new welds, I apologize for the questions. I want to make sure i'm getting a decent machine. I have a friend who has operated equipment for about 15 years now and I fell really confindent in him knowing that the dozer is in great operational shape, but I want to make sure it's a sound piece of equipment. Two sets of eyes looking at a piece of equipment are better than one set I hope.

mad murdock

Congrats on the 450C! Very nice machine. With the 6 way blade you will be a dirt sculptor in no time.  We had one with a loader configuration, we used it wih a morbark shear on it as our feller/buncher. In good wood was easy to snip 40+ cords of wood a day. Perfect suse machine, IMO, not too small, not too big.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ed_K

You have to look real close at the bolts on the cross beam.They tend to work loose then strip and fall out.Not a fun job to fix them either.
Ed K

snowstorm

Quote from: Ed_K on December 30, 2014, 07:26:25 PM
You have to look real close at the bolts on the cross beam.They tend to work loose then strip and fall out.Not a fun job to fix them either.
i told him i had a cure for that but he didnt seem interested

Thank You Sponsors!