iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole barn for Lt-15

Started by mad dog, August 15, 2008, 08:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad dog

I just brough my My sawmill home,that i bought used in the spring (I finished the jobs that the guy I bought the mill from) Today I am going to saw my first log for myself 8) I want to build a pole barn  in my wood lot. I am goin to just have gravel ,the land is in tree groath.any sugestions?
mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

Burlkraft

Build it at least 4 times bigger than you think you'll need  :D  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

TexasTimbers

Just 4 times bigger? You really want him to run out of space fast eh? ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

thecfarm

A good over hang all around is what I like.I would go with some sort of rot resistence wood on the bottom.I used some PT boards for the bottom of the run in I made for the horses.Laid them down length wise and butted the BB to the edge of them.Kept me up about 5½ inches from the ground.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ARKANSAWYER

Make the door 4 ft wider then the longest log you can saw.  Make the heigth about 12 ft.   Build it where no one can see it or find it.  The harder they have the look for you the more they want the wood.   Tell no one what you are doing.
  Post photos.
ARKANSAWYER

timberfaller390

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on August 15, 2008, 01:42:48 PM
 Build it where no one can see it or find it.  The harder they have the look for you the more they want the wood.   Tell no one what you are doing.
  Post photos.
That almost sounds like instructions on hiding a still. I put my mill in the most out of the way, hard to get to, if your looking right at it you still can't see it spots on the whole farm and somehow folks still know I'm millin' :D
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

bandmiller2

Mad dog,good solid power poles are hard to beat.Enclose most of it with some south faceing windows if you can.A roof over your log brow is a real spoiler in the winter,nice clean dry logs to mill.A lockable storage area is a must for tools and bands.Leave room for expansion,and have an all weather road to it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

adrean louis

let us know how the still works, use the scrap wood to heat the still and stuff

Warren

MD,

As everyone else has said, always build bigger than you think you need, AND, build so you can expand in the future.  Especially in the length dimension. 

After 4 years, I finally had a 72 x 30 saw shed built on the side of my barn this summer.   Only two pieces of equipment under roof: an LT40 with 6 ft extension and an edger.  Even with the extension on the LT40 stuck out one end, we are stacking lumber beyond the shed on the other end when we saw 16 ft to 20 ft lumber...

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!