iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New sawmill shed / pole barn

Started by crosscutlumber, March 23, 2015, 01:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crosscutlumber

I bought my Woodmizer sawmill new in 2008 and finally have a home for it.

My neighbor had a row of White Pine he wanted removed.  I hired a logger to cut down, trim and skid into the field. He cut about 5000 bdft. 

This was the fall of 2014.

My brother joined my sawmill operation about the same time and is seen helping me.
2008 woodmizer,  2014 Kubota 6060, logosol planer/molder ph260,  24" powermatic planer.

crosscutlumber

The barn is 30' by 52' (4 times bigger than my wife thinks it needs to be).  I did get the poles set before the frost set in.

4 posts per side spaced 16' then 20' then 16'. I built the beams by cutting 2" by 12" and putting thin sheets of rolled steel between each 2 by 12 . 4 total 2" by 12" sandwich together. Sorry forgot to take pictures of this. Once together I put beams back on mill and trimmed to 11 1/4" height, nice and straight. Set beams and now for the truss.

The top joist are 2" by 10" , bottom ties are 2" by 6" with center support of 2" by 6". I set the template on the floor in my shop and built on top of that. I would remove each truss as I made them. 27 in all.

2008 woodmizer,  2014 Kubota 6060, logosol planer/molder ph260,  24" powermatic planer.

fishfighter

Way over kill in those truss. Keep us updated.

crosscutlumber

I had a couple good days in December and got the trusses in place.

I had a good day in January and got half the steel on and then a week later got the other half on.

I have finish work to do and better bracing to install but now I can cut out of the elements. I'm so happy.

I'm going to leave it mostly open so I can remove wood / lumber from different angles.

Pa Pa Jack

Napoleon1

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

thecfarm

No posts in the way!!
Is that a fence post driver on the back of the tractor?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

Those forks are wild!I'm glad your spot is flat,I'd have a cursing fit trying that on my place.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

crosscutlumber

The back of the tractor has a 3 pt fork lift. I use it for added weight and have adapted a hitch receiver for moving trailers around.

Yes nice and flat. I put the shed in among the trees for summer shade.

downsouth

Looks good! Hard work pays off again.

red

Very Nice.  . . Now that roof is built for Snow Load
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Lawg Dawg

I love to see people accomplishing goals, with the help of a nice "orange" sawmill!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

bandmiller2

Crosscut, your no pilgrim when it comes to building, good job mate. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bhall

crosscutlumber that is a mighty fine looking building you put up. Just about the size of one I plan to put up, hope mine turns out as nice as yours. Good job on taking the photo's. Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

4x4American

Quote from: fishfighter on March 23, 2015, 04:47:13 PM

We have snow load to consider up here in the north
Boy, back in my day..

crosscutlumber

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

fishfighter

Quote from: 4x4American on March 23, 2015, 10:29:17 PM
Quote from: fishfighter on March 23, 2015, 04:47:13 PM

We have snow load to consider up here in the north

I see that. Guess I'm not used to having to build for that down here in the south. ;D

Nice building.

slider

Good job CC .I don't always listen to my wife either.Sometimes it can be painful.al
al glenn

Magicman

Wow on that sawmill shed.  :o  Fantastic job and very will planned.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lambee10

Quote from: 47sawdust on March 23, 2015, 06:37:50 PM
Those forks are wild!I'm glad your spot is flat,I'd have a cursing fit trying that on my place.

No kidding!  I was trying to see what he had hooked to the back for weight.  Me dont like tippy!!   :o
All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

crosscutlumber

The extra weight of the fork lift is all I need On the back. The hydraulics are about maxed before the rear tires come off the ground. I could put about 6 sheets of 18' steel on and had pretty good lift. Then the 2 of us could slide the steel in place easy. It went pretty fast  that way.

Thank You Sponsors!