iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pig nut hickory

Started by Polly, January 02, 2009, 07:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polly

:)    is hickory logs worth anything when selling to timber buyers ;D ;D ::) 8)

tyb525

Probably not, but it is sometimes used for cabinetry and flooring. I don't think it's bought in large amounts.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

woodtroll

It is an low end hardwood species. You will not likely get much for it.
That is not to say it is not in some high end uses. It makes great flooring and cabinetry, but it is still a low value tree.

Ron Wenrich

Well, I'll have to disagree with the above.  I say it all depends on how good the quality.  There are guys who buy it for veneer, but it has to have a pretty good quality.  The price isn't as good as some of the more favored species, but it can still fetch a good price.

Low grade logs are always low in price.  High grade logs vary in price, depending on market demands.  I've seen veneer buyers take tulip poplar, ash, white and red oaks, hickory, walnut, cherry, soft maple, and black birch. 

Grade mill buyers will also buy good quality logs. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

Down here it goes mainly for palletwood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

york

HI all,

Years ago,had a guy named Leon P. bring it to my mill and we cut it into planks-to be resaw later,some ware in pa. for spokes-wagon wheels-not sure where in pa-and he said,"that is what they want for there spokes"

Bert
Albert

woodtroll

High quality hickory logs can sometimes be sold at a higher price. But not usually. There are a lot of hickory of good quality that only bring pallet prices to the land owner. The buyers or the mills market them the best they can. I knew of one who sold hickory to a ski maker. Good money but the landowner did not see it.

cheyenne

I think Hickory cabinets & floors are beautiful....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Stephen_Wiley

Pics..............? Cabinets; Floors; etc. ;)

How about tool handles?
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Polly

i callled the local log veneer buyer his buyers want logs at least eight ft six inch long  at least 13 inch across little end no nots straight he said he would take pig nut hickory as well as walnut  no price was discussed i am still kind of leary about hauling them due to the status of the ecomy  you all think i should wate a month or so or haul them  ::) ::) 8)

WDH

The markets are about in their worst shape.  If you could wait, you will likely get a better price if things turn around.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodtroll

If you have not cut the logs already I would recommend waiting. If it is a veneer quality tree it will put on good growth and be worth more when the markets up swing.

Thank You Sponsors!