iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with Hummingbirds

Started by TexasTimbers, May 07, 2008, 08:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I have 8 skylights in my shop, and when the Hummingbirds fly into it, they fly themselves to death trying to go back out the skylights. They just keep ramming into them and get so tired eventually they land somewhere in my shop. Some of them fly back out, but I find dead ones way too often.

I found a dead one that had landed in one of those mouse sticky pads I had laid out along the shop wall. I keep the mice population under control with those. They work. Catch Hummingbirds too. One I found drowned in the puppy's water bowl. Obviously Chief hadn't noticed yet or else he would have munched it. I found one dead on my fulfilment table this morning. I suppose it just flapped itslef to death. i thought Hummingbirds were more intuitive than to get stuck inside a shop that has huge shop doors open but onbviously I have a problem.

I was going to hang one of those feeders today to give them a place to rest until they figure out how to get out, but I am afraid it will just attract even more of them. My wife has several pink shirts/blouses she used to wear but she doesn't anymore when she is going to be working in the shop as it makes a noticable difference in the number that come in.

I am now wondering if there is susch a thing as a hummingbird house. I goggled that term in an image search but nothing came up. I also wonder if I should hang two of those feeders not inside, but one each outside both ends of the shopto distract them to land out there before they come in. Open for suggestions. these little fellas/gals are beautiful, but obviously vulnerable, and I hate to watch them die so frequently. 
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Patty

We have had the same thing happen with hummingbirds in our garage. I would think a couple feeders hanging outside where they can see them, would entice the little fellows back out through the door they came in through.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Fla._Deadheader

Wire or fiberglass mesh over the skylight opening ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

metalspinner

I was thinking along the same lines, FDH.

At the Army surplus store, I purchased some netting that has about 1/2" square holes.  That may be small enough to keep them out of the skylight without injuring them when they fly into it.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

TexasTimbers

These are flat skylights in the cieling. Not those concave ones like in a residential application. the skylights are not the draw to them, they fly in out of curiosity i think, but when they see the diffused sun through the panels they try and get back out that way.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

leweee

make a silhouette of a soaring raptor and hang them in the skylights
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

ARKANSAWYER

When I was a wrench they used to fly into the shop to the red lights on the SUN machine I used to work on cars with.  Then they would fly up to the sky light panels and die like you say.  Then I hung a humming bird feeder in the door way hoping to keep them fueled up till they could get out.  It worked.  They would try the sky lights then come down to the feeder and then fly out the door.  You can just boil water and put some sugar in it then put it in a red feeder by the door.  I really like the little birds.  They buzz me all the time in my red shirts.  So far they have not tried to drill me.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!