iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooked a deer today

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 09, 2018, 09:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I noticed a familiar and unwelcome odor the past couple of days so today I followed my sniffer, climbed over the pasture fence and walked the creek bed that runs along side our local county road. I circled a few times and finally found a dead yearling doe about 30' behind my old bee shed. That put her about 40 yards from my mill and even closer to a handy slab pile. It appears she got hit on the road, made it a cross the creek and died just short of my pasture fence. I piled plenty of assorted slabs on top and set them on fire. By the end of the day there was mostly a pile of ash and charred bone but in spite of the burning hair smell and popping wigglies the aroma is light years ahead of what it was before. 

I hate she got killed. I really expected to find a fawn and was surprised to find a grown doe. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

It's good, you took care of it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Nature was well on its way to getting rid of her but my nostrils were not willing to wait that much longer. I'm sorry she was so close to the mill but glad the slabs were that close and easy to light. The creek is too low this time of year to feed her to the crawfish and creek chubs. Not enough topsoil in the area and too rocky and too many roots to cover her with soil.

I have heard using an old road kill as a fish attractor works good. Hang the carcass over a relatively calm spot on the lake or stream and the flies will blow it and as the maggots fall in the water it attracts small fish which attract larger ones. Lots of folks in the south who live on lakes attach big fluorescent lights a couple feet above the water on their docks to attract bugs at night which does the same thing. It works real well. I can live with the bugs but hard to live with the smell of the road kill option. 

I had a dear friend on Lake Blackshear near Cordele Ga who had lights on his dock and pointed out a spot under the end of his dock and told me not to fish there because he had an old roll of fence wire sunk and tied on there. I asked him if he put it there as a fish attractor. He told me "No, its my lure catcher. People come along and pitch under my dock after my fish and get hung and every winter they lower the level of the power dam across the lake to work on the dam and their equipment then I go out while the water is down and collect hundreds of dollars worth of expensive fishing lures."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Al_Smith

Although it's a little gruesome to some I don't think the state of Ohio picks up deer clipped on the highways .They leave them for the coyotes ,crows and turkey vultures .After about two weeks they are all gone .
A few years ago while going to Chardon Ohio to compete in the saw races,about 4 hour trip I counted 16 road kills .

Chuck White

In this County, some of the deer along the roadsides are picked up, some are not!

The ones that are not, most times get covered with lime in order to expedite decay and limit the smell!  It mostly just depends on where the deer is located!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Many years ago I drove a truck OTR and did my semi-scientific survey to determine what was was the most common road kill throughout the USA. At first it began to look like it was a skunk then I realized my survey was skewed. Often people would pick up a deer or turkey or such when they hit it. We even caught a lot of flack from Jay Leno and company about our WV Roadkill law which established a simple reporting system and made it legal to do so. (Actually a good idea IMHO as it helps keep the roadways clean and I'd much rather see the meat used if possible - nobody who has ever had their car repaired is going to intentionally hit a deer.)

The reason I decided my survey was skewed was that while many animals would be picked up and salvaged - NOBODY picked up dead skunks. ::) ::)
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!