iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna warranty in regards to milling

Started by Upstatewoodchuc, April 09, 2018, 08:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upstatewoodchuc

Good evening guys, I've had my eyes on a new 395xp as of late and wanted to know a bit about the warranty. I've heard some mixed stuff, it appears to be a 2 year warranty or 4 years with fuel oil purchase, but no one has a straight answer on if milling makes the warranty null and void. I know stihl approves their ms661 for milling, but I want to stick to husky as I have a 394xp and they share alot. My dealer knows that I mill so I can't play innocent if anything happens lol.
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

starmac

I know the warranty is less if you are a commercial logger, be it husky or stihl, some dealers may let it slide. I am not sure about milling, but I would think if commercial milling it could be different too.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Upstatewoodchuc

Makes sense, I asked one of the two dealers I go to today and he said "I believe the warranty is still the same, never heard any different, but I also didn't tell them about milling". Sounds vauge, gonna ask the other guy tomorrow
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

AdkStihl

Who has to know what youre doing with it? Milling, bucking...whatever.
J.Miller Photography

wild262

I would not think it would matter.  Your using a professional quality grade saw made for full time everyday running.  (And the price you pay reflects that.)   Weather it would be milling or felling, bucking, & limbing trees all day 7-days a week, that pro saw "should" be expected to handle it, of course with proper maintance.  If not, than they need to designated it as such, and make a saw especially for such work like for instance a 090.  Not saying the 090 was made just for milling, but I believe it to be the most bulletproof for the job above everything else today.  Downside is there hard to find and expensive.   I know of some guys getting by just fine with 3120, 088, 395, 660, and 2094's, just to name a few.  I would not be afraid to run and use any of the above saws for milling.  But bigger "is" better. :)

Upstatewoodchuc

Alright guys, so I went to the dealer I frequent more today and here it is straight from the horses mouth. Guy said that normal saws are 2 year, all saws designated XP are considered for pro use at all times and have a 6 month warranty, and milling is a pro use he said so it would indeed be covered for 6 months. He seemed a little more informed lol

HolmenTree

Quote from: Upstatewoodchuc on April 10, 2018, 12:44:46 PM
Alright guys, so I went to the dealer I frequent more today and here it is straight from the horses mouth. Guy said that normal saws are 2 year, all saws designated XP are considered for pro use at all times and have a 6 month warranty, and milling is a pro use he said so it would indeed be covered for 6 months. He seemed a little more informed lol
Upstate, I'd  look into that again with your dealer. Someone who buys a XP but not for commercial use should still get the full 2 year warranty. 
Maybe Spike 60 can chime in here.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

starmac

I know for a fact a homeowner gets the full warranty on XP saws here, and it doubles or something like that if you buy 3 cans of canned gas, whether you ever use it or not from our dealer here.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Stoneyacrefarm

Starmac is correct. 
I recently purchased a 390xp and a 576AT. 
My local dealer said the saws come with a 2 year warranty. 
If you purchase 3 cans of mixed fuel they will double the warranty. 
Because I deal with them quite a bit, they didn't make me buy the fuel and still doubled the warranty. 
They know if you take care of your equipment like we do. 
They will probably never need to do any warranty work. 
It's just a technicality. 
I do have a friend that bought a 661 new. And because he is a logger he did only get 6 months of warranty on his saw. 
I think it depends a lot on the dealership. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Upstatewoodchuc

Well either way, it seems the milling aspect won't completely bar me from warranty which is what I was worried about. Honestly if it makes it through the first couple days after first start, it'll probably last 20 years, I just didn't want it to blow up and then find out that milling made it my problem even if the saw was just a lemon if that makes any sense.

HolmenTree

I milled with my 2008 395XP for a couple days at the end of my milling career. Ran my 066 and 090 on and off before that for close to 20 years with no problems. 
In those couple days at the end milling  the first thing that went wrong with the 395 was the carb bolts loosened off and luckily I caught it before it lean seized the engine....started to run real lean quick and I shut her down before it did any damage.

Grandedog

Howdy,

Unless they changed recently, look in the fine print. It'll mention "Approved Cutting Attachments" for the particular model. This was explained to me by Husqvarna as meaning the bars, and chains. So for instance, correct application Oregon products would be considered approved cutting attachments since they build OEM bars and chain for Husqvarna. As far as they're concerned there are no other cutting attachments besides the bar and chain. Even if you drag a saw up to the counter with a bar or chain outside the recommended length and or pitch looking for warranty, you could have an issue. Dealers work with customers but, a dealer wouldn't get a warranty by the manufacturer after mentioning milling. 

Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

wild262

Quote from: Grandedog on April 10, 2018, 06:00:20 PM
    Howdy,

Unless they changed recently, look in the fine print. It'll mention "Approved Cutting Attachments" for the particular model. This was explained to me by Husqvarna as meaning the bars, and chains. So for instance, correct application Oregon products would be considered approved cutting attachments since they build OEM bars and chain for Husqvarna. As far as they're concerned there are no other cutting attachments besides the bar and chain. Even if you drag a saw up to the counter with a bar or chain outside the recommended length and or pitch looking for warranty, you could have an issue. Dealers work with customers but, a dealer wouldn't get a warranty by the manufacturer after mentioning milling.

Regards
Gregg

That last sentence is why I would not buy a new saw for milling.  Too much of a chance of the warranty not being honored for a honest claim.  They "all" have there best interests covered really well by there wording and fine print.  The dealer can only do so much, but they have the final word.   I will shut up now, before I say something not appropriate.

Upstatewoodchuc

You guys bring up some good points for sure, but used is hard here. Where I'm at there are very few big saws in general, let alone for sale, not much milling and most of the trees are under 30", the loggers here all run around with 372xp's wearing 24-28" bars. The few used 395xp's I've found were asking 800-1000 which isn't much less than new, my dealer wanted $1199 before tax. With this train of thought I searched eBay and found brand new 3120xp's power head only for $1399 shipped, or $1699 with a 42" b/c.... Now I'm really thinking.. :P the only thing that makes me hesitant is the fact I would only want to use a 3120 as a mill saw lol, kind of impractical for firewood.

HolmenTree

Put a 20" .404 bar/chain on the 3120, it'll cut firewood just  fine. :D

Grandedog

Howdy,
   If you decide to go with the 3120, it has a fixed high speed jet. You'll want to switch out the jet that comes with it for the largest one. If I remember right, stock is a 104 and the large one is a 116. With the larger jet, the saw will run fat until you get it good and hooked up in the wood.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

JohnW

What are you planning to mill, Upstate?  Probably everything.  The difference between hardwood and pine is amazing.  I found that making a big cut through ash with my 395 is pretty tough with regular full comp chain, but white pine s no work at all.

Upstatewoodchuc

Bingo, pretty much everything, lots of white oak/maple/black locust/EWP, and cedar basically. I've already done 28"wide slabbing, 9.5' long in Eastern white pine and my Husqvarna 394xp was defenidefi feeling taxxed, not sure if the saw is tired or it's just too much to consistently do with under a 100cc saw... Maybe both lol

wild262

That hardwood your cutting will put a lot on any saw.  Be sure to set your oiler up, and let the saw cool down after each cut.  You might want to try a different bar/chain combo as Holman used when he was milling.  I remember he said he had a 3/8 LP chain and ring gear mounted on his ms 660 and got by good with it.  Took less power to  cut, and made a lot smoother cutting finish.  Maybe Holmen will chime in and give the details.  That might make it a lot easier for that 394 till you get a bigger saw.    If you do go with a 3120, change the main jet as GrandeDog said.   And I checked on the warranty at my Husky dealer, and they confirmed what everyone else has said; 6-months commercial with approved attachments for XP saws.  Take that what its worth.  :-\      I still have my old Jonny 2094 that I used to use.  It did a pretty good job.  Its retired now and only sees use "once in a great while" cutting big stuff.       Get with Holmen on that Lo Pro chain set-up.  He's a hands on professional, and can help you out on this. :)

Upstatewoodchuc

Awesome info wild, I'm currently running a 36" husky bar, .058 3/8 115DL, Oregon chisel chain, bar setup may be key to saw life lol. I do have an auxiliary oiler setup, the one granberg sells with the banjo boot that drills through the bar and tank up too top of the jig, the saws oiler is also maxxed out and I never see any evidence of bar bluing or chain smoke.

Upstatewoodchuc

Update, saw has 152 psi of compression when hot, tuned it more today, leaned the low speed transition and fattened the high speed slightly and it bogged less, but it was still having trouble in big pine this morning, which I imagine a 94cc saw shouldn't... Is 152 psi low? What is new, 170ish?

wild262

Quote from: Upstatewoodchuc on April 12, 2018, 09:40:19 AM
Update, saw has 152 psi of compression when hot, tuned it more today, leaned the low speed transition and fattened the high speed slightly and it bogged less, but it was still having trouble in big pine this morning, which I imagine a 94cc saw shouldn't... Is 152 psi low? What is new, 170ish?

That's actually pretty good compression.  A lot of new saws are 150 or so.  About the only way to improve on that is a head gasket delete.  There are other ways to gain more power but at a added expense, like pop-up, or woods porting.  I would invest in a bigger saw before doing that.  Just make sure your chain is razor sharp. 

Upstatewoodchuc

The last owner said he paid his friend who had a saw shop to rebuild it but I doubted it because he seemed shady, good to know that's not bad. It may be a big bore top end, he didn't know, it does have an open port muffler and it looks like they bought any parts that wore, even has new oil tank, but it still seems to lack the raw torque that I expect from a 94cc saw, perhaps my expectations are too great of it?

wild262

Is the cylinder OEM?  Raising compression will enhance torque.  But that alone may not be enough for any felt gains.

HolmenTree

Upstate, I never used a 394XP but it should definitely match my 395XP I had.
Your 36" b/c in .375 chisel is perfect. Just keep it sharp at 10° top plate angle. In softwood you'll need the depth gauges low at .030" - .040" even with new cutters. With my 395XP I used a square filed chisel  .375 chain and it really performs. But with round file or round stone dremel keep those cutters sharp. Bark cleanliness is everything,  I mill the best where the tree is felled, chain stays sharp much longer.

Leave the narrow kerf Picco chain for milling lumber off precut cants. Milling full width slabs with Picco chains is not the best I found. It stretches , goes off course when hitting knots, dulls faster especially with the bark.
With my 090AV I slabbed and squared up cants with .404 chisel. Used the 066 with logosol Picco sprocket drum and Picco 16"b/c to mill the lumber or beams off the cants.

Your  394XP- 36" .375 will do everything. When you get the cant making figured out. Stick a 16" - 20" bar on it with a .375 chisel chain filed down to witness marks for the narrow cut and mount that in your Alaskan mill.

Slab and square cants first. Then setup and mill your lumber later. No need for an edger.

Thank You Sponsors!