iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Irma and then there is Jose!

Started by Magicman, September 05, 2017, 08:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savannahdan

Just after my last post a very large limb came down in the back.  It appears that it hit the ground first and then laid on the corner of the house.  Hope its the limb I spied yesterday that appeared to have a dead section of it but it was too late for me to take care of it.  Lots of other limbs, mainly small, have been hitting the roof.  Others around us have lost power.  Probably just a matter of time before we lose ours.  During Hurricane Matthew we were without power for 7 days.  Have plenty of gas/propane for the generator to get us through a day or 2.  We try not to have much to worry about due to loses during the past 2 storms.  My old Mosins are ready just in case we have looters who decide to prowl the neighborhood.  One shot and the flame/smoke will  scare most of them away.  If not, it holds a few more rounds. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

red

Just a stray thought but , Florida already had drinking water problems ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Woodcutter_Mo

I haven't kept up with the hurricane situation the last couple days but from what I've heared there are several right-of-way crews from my area headed towards Georgia to assist in cleanup.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

ellmoe

We survived. Power out. Poor cell service. Trees down , one self loaded on my flatbed trailer.  Tried to get to mill but road was blocked. Eye came close reports of 115 mph winds here. I can believe it. Up all night mostly on front stoop watching.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

bucknwfl

If it was easy everybody would be doing it

caveman

Mark, I tried to call you to check on your situation but I guess I only have your work number. Lots of trees and power lines down.  I will try to post pictures soon. Clearing roads, jockeying generator and checking on neighbors. I think the eye passed over us and it is still quite windy here.
Caveman

sandhills

Quote from: ellmoe on September 11, 2017, 11:39:36 AM
We survived. Power out. Poor cell service. Trees down , one self loaded on my flatbed trailer.  Tried to get to mill but road was blocked. Eye came close reports of 115 mph winds here. I can believe it. Up all night mostly on front stoop watching.
I haul grain to an elevator every fall that sits on top of a wide open hill, one fall day was particularly windy, they had it clocked at 70+ mph, I was there that day, I can't imagine what 115 would feel like!  Hope everyone is fairing well and doesn't have too much major damage.

Mooseherder

We have a lot of tree limbs down but no damage to the house.  It sheared two treetops off.  One of them is dangling precariously at the 20 foot level and will be a challenge.  Our mailbox is down along with a few others on the street.  Everybody is cleaning up already.  I did some but quit when it got over 90 degrees.  Took some storm panels off to allow some breeze in.  The wind is still whipping.  I uprighted a palm tree that was listing at my daughter's house with a tow strap and my Dodge.  My phone isn't accepting a charge so I lost my internet tether.  No power either so we came back to my daughter's place for now.
Hope everybody in it's way is okay.

Jeff

I had a text from Raider Bill early this morning saying they had made it through okay, but nothing since.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

Minor damage to the house,  soffit fascia. Lots of tree branches and fence panels down. No power.
My employee keli who is staying with us lost her roof.
Wild Bill good, downed tree took out a shed but missed his bee hives. He m lost fence panels too.
Small tornado went through abot 300 yards behind the H ouse uprooting trees in its path.
All in all except for out of power doing ok. Plenty of supplies and gen gas.
My rentals did ok too. Some minor damage but all good in da hood
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

red

Bill I can remember you saying , " the last person to leave NY turn out the lights ."  are you still glad you left NY ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Shotgun

Located NW of Tampa, Hernando Co.  No damage at all.  Only 12 hour loss of power overnight and a.m., Sept. 10/11. I thought it might be pretty bad.  All is well for us.

Shotgun
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

coxy

grouch

Find something to do that interests you.

Deese

Just windy and raining all day today. Pretty strong wind gusts but nothing alarming. It appears that all of our FF buddies made it through. I hope so. Love you guys.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

luvmexfood

Here in Southwest Virginia we are getting some wind and light rain off the storm. Hard to believe a storm centered hundreds of miles away is touching us.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

ellmoe

Still no power. Had no cell service till 2am. Woke up from all the text message alarms hitting the phone. Mobile home rentals unscathed but my old home that I have been updating had two large laurel oaks blow down. One crushed my aluminum structure over my back patio and punched at least one hole in the roof. Nothing structural at the mill but a lot of kd lumber got wet   Overall we were lucky   Now if we can just get power in the next couple of days.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Savannahdan

We lost power early yesterday morning and cable/internet shortly after that.  I used the generator for the refrigerators until the propane ran out.  Fill up with gas, fired it up and the power came on.  Had a large limb come down from the old live oak.  It appears to have landed on the ground and laid up against the roof the office/sun room.  I'll check that out today.  Need to keep an eye on what Jose is doing but for now it looks like its going further North than us.  Blew debris off my driveway and 2 other neighbor driveways yesterday evening.  Funny I was talking the my elderly neighbor when I saw his garage light come on, thought his wife was coming out and then it dawned on me that the power had just come on.  He had loaned his generator out to someone who had a medical need. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Mooseherder

We got power back at 5:30am.  It's going to be a long road back for some areas and folks.  One foot in front of the other.

Magicman

Please pray for the work safety for the thousands of Engineers, Linesmen and Service Technicians that will be traveling to the affected areas to restore power, telephone, and other services.  Convoys of workers are already headed South and into the damaged stricken areas.  They are now displaced from their homes and families and will be living and working under sometimes dangerous and adverse conditions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 12, 2017, 07:51:23 AM
We got power back at 5:30am.  It's going to be a long road back for some areas and folks.  One foot in front of the other.

That's the best news I've heard all day!   8)
Say when

sandhills

Amen Lynn.  It's amazing what those people accomplish in such a short time and that much devastation to work around.  Thanks everyone for checking in also, we've been praying for you all here.

samandothers

Agree MM.

We went up to Va. last Thursday up I77.  We met many convoys of tree and line crews heading south at that time.  They mobilize early to travel and get into position.

WV Sawmiller

Sam,

If you'd kept on coming up I-77 you'd have made it up to here. Some of the crews you saw may have been ours. I talked to a retired friend from the power company and he told me about another mutual friend still working there. Said he and his team had headed south. They were to get further destination instructions en route. He said they had spent a lot of time the last few years on the road responding to such events. I'm glad they are there. I worry about them especially with inexperienced people incorrectly hooking up gensets that backfeed into the power lines. Every year electricians get killed from such mistakes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ox

I've never understood the backfeeding thing.  One time, many years ago in another of our many power outages here in north Appalachia, I made a quick mistake and forgot to disconnect from the grid before sending power out from the generator.  The generator died immediately.  It was such a massive load it was impossible to describe.  In less than half a second there was silence.  With this experience I have a hard time understanding how anyone can backfeed into the grid.  Can somebody explain?  Is backfeeding into the grid a myth? 

This is my thought:  if I try to backfeed into the grid, I'm now trying to power every single home that's hooked into the power lines going up and down the road.  All of these homes are switched on waiting for the power to come on, begging for power.  I try to supply that power with a home sized generator and it simply can't.

Plus the transformer on the pole that brings the power down to 240 from whatever it is in the main lines.  Can I send power back through that transformer the other way?  Does it take my 240 I'm making with my generator and bump it up to whatever is in the main lines? 

This backfeeding don't make no sense.  ???
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!