iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

very large wrc timbers all ready cut, please help with info on storage

Started by biffripjock, July 07, 2010, 09:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biffripjock

hello all
i am in sooke bc canada

i had some beauty western red cedars and western maples on my property.

i took them down as they were too huge and a risk to the home.
one maple was really well figured and another had some nice quilt.
i sold the one log and milled the rest along with some typical maple for floors and casing.  they went to the kiln today via the saywer.

the wrc i had milled into very large timbers, 7x7, 8x8, 3x7, 7x12, 10x10 each 8 feet to 14 feet long.
i have the bulk of it under a covered deck but it is on dunage 4x4s off the concrete then not stickered and then dunaged again after 4-5 timbers etc to  aheight of 6 or 7 tall.

the other pile is dunaged on 4x4 outside but with plywood on itto cover from sun.
i have read and understand the sticker theory but the sawyer says that becasue the mass of the timbers and combined strength ther will be no warps etc

the pile is realtively flat i cant say dead level.

please provide input.  as well should i paint the ends ofthe fresh milled wood?

thanks

biff

james

you want airflow between each layer of lumber and you want the stickers or dunnage all lined up with each other vertically otherwise even logs or heavy beams can warp from trying to carry an unsupported load when still green its better to have more stickers than you need than to have the wood bend or warp 
james

kderby

I agree with James,  I am under the impression that western red cedar is quite forgiving to dry.  The air circulation is important to reduce mold/fungus activity. You will have to handle them all again but it is worth it.  I hope someone with more experience will chime in.

I milled a 14x14 pine timber last week.  My intent was to mill it over size and have it for when there is an order for a large dry timber (I had that order the week before last).  They wanted a dry 4x12 decorative timber.  I found one from a fellow sawmiller that fit the bill.  Next time I will have one on hand.  The standing dead trees have bluestain and I am aiming for non-stained pine timbers....I digress.

Enjoy your cedar and maple! welcome to the group. 

kderby

Thank You Sponsors!