iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My large clamp storage solution (lets see yours also)

Started by 21incher, November 27, 2017, 04:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

A while back I re-did my clamp storage racks and made a video. I had the unused wall space and this has worked out well for me. Thought I would share my ideas.
https://youtu.be/1Mgr1oDrS7Q
This would be a good place to post your ideas for storing clamps also.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ljohnsaw

Wall space is at a premium in my shop so I opted for the ceiling.  I have an odd workshop.  It is 16x28 under my family room.  The house was built on a fairly steep lot so the "crawl space" was sloped.  I terraced it into 3 landings.  At the top, I have about 6' 6".  So I made this to hold my pipe clamps and some of the bar clamps:

This is actually the second iteration.  Initially, I had the coat hooks for each end but ran out and still had more clamps to hang.  Then I thought of using the pipe for the non-clamp end, saving the hooks for the clamp ends.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

chet

My solution was taking advantage of two rolling work stations.

The large drawers are for spring, band, "C", and other smaller clamps.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

AlaskaLes

I like the storage ideas.  That seems to be the ultimate goal, fitting as much cool crap in a shop as is
humanly possible...and still be able to find and use it all.
The last part of that sentence is the tricky part.
Nice shop indeed!  I'm planning the new shop that will be 20'x46'.
Exactly half of the area under the new timber frame house we're building.
Pictures like this give me an idea of the space we'll be enjoying.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

Grizzly

Chet, do you use that shop? Or is it for show?  :D :D   My dad was fussy about cleaning up but I don't remember having to do it quite like that!
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Larry

Some years ago I built a rolling cart to hold all my pipe and I-beam clamps.  I roll it to the assembly area and sure saves a lot of steps.  Also makes it easy to take the clamp off the work piece and put it right back where it belongs.

Fast forward and I have accumulated many K body clamps that I frequently use.  They are hanging on the wall, quite a few steps away from the assembly area.  I need to make a cart for those also.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

21incher

Wow, some great ideas. Chet how do you keep your shop so clean, it looks spotless.
We may need a thread with shop ideas and pictures for any kind of tool storage members are willing to share.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

submarinesailor

WOW!!!!

And my wife thinks I have "WAY TOO MANY CLAMPS."  Based on these pictures, I still don't have enough. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)

Bruce

P/S - Yes, I know you can never have too many.

chet

Quote from: Grizzly on November 28, 2017, 04:33:06 PM
Chet, do you use that shop? Or is it for show?  :D :D   My dad was fussy about cleaning up but I don't remember having to do it quite like that!

:D :D :D I use it ALOT
I may have to add on though. Since those pics were taken I've added another drill press and saw, a second larger shaper, a wide belt sander and an air filtration system.
And lots more clamps.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Downstream

Here is what I'm using.  I have double the number of clamps now.  This grey clamp rack is part of a modular mobile wood storage unit I developed for my previous company.  It never made it to market but I bought the two prototypes for my own shop and they work great.  I store long pipe clamps along top shelf of black base unit.  I will have to take some current photos showing all of the modules in use.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

21incher

Thank You Sponsors!