iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Backwards driving tractor

Started by woodbowl, October 31, 2007, 09:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

Tractors could be much more versitile if only they could drive backwards as well as they could forwards. By that I mean, swivel the seat around and presto, your operating a conventional forklift, moving items with a grapple arm ect. Driving backwards also allows steering to cut sharper.

When the seat is turned around on a front end loader backhoe the controls are right there to let the outriggers down and start operating the hoe, but not driving backwards.

Surly some of you must have seen a homemade conversion.  I've only found a couple of things on the subject.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?p=324564

http://evolution.skf.com/zino.aspx?articleID=497
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

thecfarm

I have seen a Ford tractor around a 1950 that was made into a forklift.This looked like a kit to me.I have pictures of it somewheres,but have no idea where.Probaly in the old farm house somewheres.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bioman

Check out these links

http://www.acamerica.com/

http://www.antoniocarraro.com/dynamic/index.php?&idL=2

Carraro has been making and selling in Europe for years.  Lastec is distributing these reversable tractors here in the US.

solodan

They are supposed to be real good on steep terrain too. I have never seen a used one for sale though and I have never even bothered looking at the price of the new ones. :'(

Radar67

Don K and I looked at a couple of them at Moultrie. Never did find out a price.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Bioman

Surprisingly, they are not very good on hillsides.  They are actually pretty bad if you travel sideways, but pretty good if going straight up and down the hill.  I tested one in step mowing conditions earlier this year.

But as far as versitility and quality goes it is a great machine.  I don't know why the concept hasn't caught on here in the US yet.  They have sold 1000's of them in the UK.

ScottAR

McCormick is making a farm machine with reversible controls available in Europe.

It's basically a extending boom loader but with a regular 3pt and pto on the rear.
Trans is hydrostatic if I remember.  I want one but we'll all have to wait till
they decide it's a good idea in the USA too. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

woodbowl

Quote from: Radar67 on November 01, 2007, 12:23:00 AM
Don K and I looked at a couple of them at Moultrie. Never did find out a price.

I didn't see them Radar, but I did see an old Farmall from the 30's or 40's that was factory converted to attach a cotton picker and drive backwards. The brake peddles, clutch, throttle ect were linked with push rods to reposition them to another seat. I don't remember how the steering wheel worked.

This is more of what I had in mind in this topic. The steering is what would be the challenge  in converting the regular farm tractor to the configuration. I don't see why a cable wraped spool, simular to an outboard boat steering wouldn't work to mount another steering wheel.

I'd like to hear some good ideas from you all.  ;)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

thecfarm

woodbowl is looking to convert a tractor into one that he can drive backwards.I looked at a NH tractor like what some of you are talking about.I looked at thier website,but did not see it.The drawback on the way NH designed it,I feel,you had to buy their attachments to fit on it.Any regular 3 pt hinge would not hook up to it.I think all they had was a snowblower and a mower deck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Seems to me there are many brands in this country too...Deere model 110 TLB (tractor loader backhoe) has conventional 3pt if the hoe is removed. They've had the rear-facing models for years, as have other brands as being mentioned. 
How these are the same or different from the original request, is what I'm trying to understand here.  :)

Or does it need to be homemade conversion?   ::) ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I think he wants a tractor that he can drive backwards.Has a steering wheel that can be driven backwards,not like a back hoe that needs to have the seat turned to drive it backwards.He wants to sit in a seat and have the steering wheel and all the controls in front of him and drive backwards,I think.
I am surprized some of the old tractors site don't have some infro on it.I only really seen 2,one that I mentioned and one I saw at a lumber yard.This had a forklift attachement on it.All I remember it was yellow.

DanG

Converting a tractor to drive backwards shouldn't be too big of a challenge, if the original design lends itself to the conversion.  The real trick would be to make it convertible, which I think is what WB is asking here.  The steering wouldn't be the hard part, as you could just link 2 steering wheels to a common shaft.  The clutch and brakes would be tough nuts to crack on most tractors, though.  It could be done, but there would be a lot of rods and bellcranks to fabricate and locate.  A "shuttle-shift" arrangement would make it a lot easier.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

Or, work with a tractor that has hydrostatic tranny and power steering.... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

If the Hydro-tranny's selector was mounted on the side, it wouldn't be a problem at all.  All my stuff is old, so I don't know nut'n about hydrostatic. ::)  The steering on my IMT is pure hydraulic.  The steering wheel just actuates a valve and a regular hyd. cylinder does the work.  On the old MF I used to have, the steering was power assisted, like on most cars.  If the PS failed, you could still steer but it took some muscle.  On the IMT, if it fails the wheel turns easily, but doesn't do anything.  I'm not sure which system would be harder to convert, but I can think of ways to do either.

By far, the easiest way to do all this stuff is to have 2 machines.  Old forklifts can be had for a pretty reasonable price. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Boat steering hydraulics for upper and lower station would be real easy for steering. Convert pushrods to small cylinders and use hydraulics similar to brakes and clutch slaves for the rest. Wouldn't be all that difficult  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

stonebroke

Go buy a new holland TV 140.

Stonebroke

DanG

I'm sure that would be nice, Stonebroke.  But, anything old enough for me to afford would say "Ford" and not "New Holland."  Not all that long ago, the NH name was just for the implements.  I don't know what happened to the Ford name.  Maybe FMC sold off their interest in it?

ely

yes we have a 9030E new holland at work and it has a seat in it that the whole driving station swivels around in and drives the other direction.  it has a brush cutter on the front end loader arms instead of forks/bale spikes.
i have always wanted it at home with forks and grapple on the loader arms, and a big farmi winch on the other end. it has the big skidder tires already installed. i think it was 80k all total, and that included the big brush cutter on the front from italy, a seppi is the name on it. i am certain they just give those away. :D

stonebroke

I have a ford 276.  It cost me 19,000$ but it is a 1989 model. It just depends on how much money you have. Ford sold its tractor division to fiat. Who merged it with Case IH. It is now CNH.

Stonebroke

woodbowl

If only I could afford the toys I wanted, I wouldn't have a sore neck from looking backwards at the lift pole and box blade. It just seems to me that someone would have done this a long time ago. Every farmer has a tractor and a lot of other folks have or want one. Maybe it is not practical with all the other implements availible. A front end loader with a bucket or forks can do a lot of things.

What I'm really getting at is the ability for a small tractor to be more efficient and able to do more work than expected. The counter weight is already in the front and the 3 point hitch hydraulics are in the back. Not everyone wants to have a log grapple on the back of a tractor, but I could really use it. It would be very quick. I do alright with a lift pole and tongs, I can hook and unhook without getting off the tractor. When I get off though, I've got a crick in my neck that bothers me for several days.

I think it's doable and wouldn't have to be fancy, expensive or danGerous.  ;D

Mooseherder

We need to get you a Bus Mirror. ;D

woodbowl

Furthermore ...  ::)  imagine a situation where the small guy has a lot of logs to move around. Some go to the mill, some go to the firewood pile, some to another pile because we're not cutting that today ect.

I did this today on a customers tractor with a front end loader and forks. What a pain! I had to undo the pile, spread everything out, then get the log I needed and sometimes had to turn it around before putting it on the mill. It's a mess that consumes a big part of the day away.

Now, if a grapple arm was mounted onto a rough terrain fork lift without forks ... how handy is that? The only thing I can think of that would be faster for single log placement would be a skid steer with a grapple arm. That would be awsome.

Woodcarver

Back in the last century in my teen-age years I spent a couple of summers working for a canning company harvesting peas.  The peas were cut and winrowed with a device somewhat resembling a haybine that was mounted on the rear of Allis Chalmers tractors that had been converted to run backward.

Gear shift, throttle, and steering wheel were in the normal position.  The seat was reversed.  The operator sat beside the steering wheel.  I never looked closely to see how the clutch and and brake linkage were modified so they could be operated while facing the rear of the tractor.   
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

saddletramp

Howdy Woodbowl. Think IHC W9 or W6 tractor. Find one that the motor is locked up. Remove motor. Modify frame and radiator to drop in chevy 350 with 400 auto tranny. Bolt up to frame, custom make short shaft to auto to tractor tranny. There is your extra gearing and shuttle shift. Find old combine like IHC 403 or 715 or such. Remove steering wheel and linkages off axel. Mount your new steering wheel and cylinders and linkage to old tractor. As to clutch, make a manual over center with just a hand lever, with auto tranny you wont need clutch much at all. As for brakes, with this arrangement move seat back make over center cam for each pedal and your done. In the Nebraska sandhills alot of old trucks were converted to set ups like this for hay bucks. With two trannys they were FAST. Hope I havent scared you too bad, its not really as bad as it sounds. Oh ps you have to make new loader mounts to reverse the loader to go off the front which was the back ;D Sorry no pics till I figgure out this Dang new camera.
Horses dont git broke.Cowboys do.

jpgreen

Whatcha'll are describing is what i just bought:

http://www.asvi.com/2800_main.cfm

http://www.asvi.com/2800_standard_equipment.cfm

http://www.asvi.com/2800_specifications.cfm

Loader with by-driectional controls and seat. PTO, high low hydraulics front and rear.  Runs all the new Bobcat quick change attachements and all tractor 3 point. Puts the weight where you need it with a 20 second seat position change, and is track stable for inclines.

Mine has the Isuzu turbo with 6 in 1 bucket. I paid $17,500 for a 2001 with a tic over 700 hours on it.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Thank You Sponsors!