iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I tried something new....for me that is....

Started by CHARLIE, March 10, 2012, 01:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

In February Raider_Bill mentioned stuffing pork chops with sausage. That sounded so good that I fixed sausage stuffed chops one night for supper and it was good.  So I started thinking about how I could incorporate that idea into another dish. Well, tonight I did and it turned out well.  I took about a 6 inch long piece of pork tenderloin and with a sharp knive unrolled it. I started slicing around it lengthwise until I had a long slab of meat about 3/8 inch thick. I then took one pound of ground breakfast sausage and layered it on top and then rolled it up like a jelly roll. I used toothpicks to keep the thing from unrolling. I roasted it in a 350°F oven to 160°F internal temperature (took about 1½ hours) and then let it set awhile before slicing it. I fixed a side of potato chunks drizzled in olive oil, a little garlic powder and sprinkled with dried dill weed, which I baked in a 350°F oven. When Donna got home, she made some hot sweet and sour cabbage. I baked a loaf of bread to go along with it and Donna fixed some herbed olive oil to dip the bread into. It was an especially fine meal and rather simple to fix. I'm stuffed. It was a good meal and one I'd fix again.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

beenthere

Charlie
You even make it sound good, and would like to try that sometime.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

Wow Charlie not only are you a heck of a woodworker sounds like you're one heck of a cook!

So I'm intrigued what sweet and sour cabbage is?

Magicman

I had a friend that would run his filet knife through a deer loin and insert a smoked sausage link and won one of those wild game cookoffs with his recipe.  He is gone but his recipe lives on.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CHARLIE

I'm not much of a cook but do have my specialties. I do follow recipes to the letter when I have one.  If it says 1 teaspoon, then I get the teaspoon measure out and measure exactly 1 teaspoon.  It drives Donna nuts cause she guesstimates.....but she's one heck of a great cook.

Norm, I'll have to ask Donna how she makes sweet & sour cabbage.  All I know is she uses vinegar and probably sugar. She cooks it rather quickly in a cast iron skillet.  I'll let you know.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

dail_h

World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

CHARLIE

I'm working on it. :)  Two things have to happen.  First I have to remember to ask Donna, which I did tonight. She sorta described it to me and then said she'd get me the recipe. That's part two I'm waiting on. ;D
Charlie

zopi

I saw a recipe for a flayed pork loin awhile back...same deal but it was stuffed with cranberries amd walnuts....

I made a meat pie the other night...my kids went nuts for...rolled a batch of proofed bread dough out on a cookie sheet...layered on seasoned ground beef, carmelized onions and sharp cheddar, rolled it up amd let it rise the second time, and baked until the bread was done...served with brown gravy...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

CHARLIE

DONNA'S SWEET & SOUR CABBAGE

Ingredients
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 onion, cut in half and sliced
1 lb. cabbage, white and red mixed cut into large strips
1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar (or Brown Sugar Substitute)
1 Apple, cut into about 8 wedges
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preparation
Drizzle a large skillet with olive oil.
Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes at medium heat
Add cabbage, sugar, vinegar, salt/pepper
Cover and cook for 5 minutes
Add apple and mix in
Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes more until cabbage is just tender

Comments
Donna uses the cabbage we have on hand. She likes to use both white and red, but sometimes she'll use all white and sometimes all red depending on what she has.

We've been to German restaurants where they cook the cabbage almost to a mush. We don't like that.  We like this cabbage cooked until it is just tender.

Charlie

Norm

CHARLIE

Norm, Donna appreciated the thank you.  Give that cabbage recipe a try. It's easy enough and one of my favorite ways to eat cabbage.
Charlie

sandhills

WildDog

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Norm

I bought a head of cabbage at the grocery store yesterday Charlie so I'll be giving it a try this week sometime!

Raider Bill

I made this Saturday same recipe as Charlies but have been doing it like this for many many years. DELISH!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

CHARLIE

I tell Donna about all the thank you's for the recipe. She'll appreciate that.  :)
Charlie

Den Socling

I don't know why but it seems that I always end up at this board at just about supper time!  :D

CHARLIE

I know what you mean, but for me it doesn't even have to be time to eat and I'll find myself checking this Board out. ;D
Charlie

CHARLIE

Did anyone try the cabbage recipe? Good or bad?
Charlie

sandhills

Not yet Charlie, but trust me, it's coming  :).

Norm

I have a head of cabbage in the fridge for this recipe Charlie. We've been super busy with spring field work but it's supposed to rain and I'll try it as soon as we are rained in.

Raider Bill

I've had it twice since this post. I did realize that I had always used apple cider vinegar instead of red wine. I also use balsamic from time to time.
Another twist I do is throw a few pork chop pieces in and let them simmer while the cabbage is cooking.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!