iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peavy suggestions??

Started by KjBarnwood, April 17, 2008, 09:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KjBarnwood

I'm looking to buy my first peavy, any suggestions??  Size, and where to buy it?  Hudson has a 42" wood handle on e-bay for $78.  No one local sells them.

What about a 30" Pickeroon - never saw one before?  Just need something to help me move logs around.

Keith

Dan_Shade

www.logrite.com  accept none other

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Anything other then a logrite peavey on this forum is sacrilege.   They sponsor the forum and there is no better tool regardless of that fact. Period. None better anywhere. Anyone that tells you different knows nothing about the subject.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Yup,  Logrite tools are the absolute best  8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

zopi

logrite. accept no substitute.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Tom Sawyer

Absolutely Logrite is the best bar none.

Bibbyman

Yep.  The only thing better than a LogRite tool is an Orange LogRite tool!  ;D

I visited with Dave Mann of Wood-Mizer last weekend at the Open House in Mt. Veron.  He said they just keep expanding the number of LogRite tools they carry. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

here's a "proof" testimonial:

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

brdmkr

I feel it only fair to offer a different opinion.  You should get a LogRite.  Did I say 'different opinion'?  I meant 'another opinion'.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Dave Shepard

Two 48"LogRite's where delivererd with the new Wood Mizer, and I've got a 60". I am going to get a peavey point for mine, as this mill has hydraulics, and I won't be turning any cants any more. :D

I usually like wooden handled tools, but I've snapped a couple of peavey handles. They aren't warrenteed like a LogRite, they cost about $40, and usually leave a nice spear that you fall on. A LogRite is a lifetime tool.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

shinnlinger

I will be honest boys, $105(for the 60"one I want) for a peavey seems like a lot.....

UNtill I recall my own peavy story...  

When I got my mill going I realized I needed a peavy very quickly as wrestlmania was kicking my butt in a bad way.  Sure enough I helped a neighbor move that next weekend and ended up not only with a vintage Partner f-55 chainsaw to keep at the mill, but a genuine made in Maine Peavy with a capital P.  It is still around and an adaquate tool, but not very good with the 26 foot 30"ers I was working up into my floor girts.  SO a quick survey of the junk pile yeilds a peavy head (from Oregon)sans handle so a quick jaunt into the woods turned up a nice peice of ash and it worked great....untill this winter, when I was trying to pry a frozen log out of a snowbank and it broke on me and sent me flyinginto the tractor.  Should have known that if the tractor couldnt free it, the peavy wasnt either, but you know how it is when your desperate for a log.  I was relatvley unscathed but it could have been worse and having no peavy stinks when you need one....trust me.

So I too will now have to get one.  

Now here is the thing, do I buy it through this site, to show FF rocks or one of their dealers near me?(the one closest to me does not rock so this is one case were I dont mind not supporting the local guy.

SOrry for the silly story.

DAn, your photo says it all
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Jeff

Buy it where ever you can get one the quickest.   :)

Captain

LogRite is the original and best.  Sold under the Woodmizer and Stihl brands as well.  Accept no substitutes.

Too bad, could have dropped one off in Cannan on Wednesday for ya.

Captain

SwampDonkey

I've purchased 3, and kept two. Gave one away as a door prize. I rarely use one, but had to move a big old wet spruce from my path in a trail that saved more than a few steps off a long hike to a thinning work site.  No, no special gymnastics or acrobatics story behind it really. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

Talk about a thumb on the scale,Logrite work good so do the origional peavys none seem to have a big enough bite.Oh you will also need a short canthook.Pickaroon get an old pick at the flea market or yard sale cut one pick end off the outher cut down and forge to a short point.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Lud

I heated  up an old mill bastard file that had been ground off,  bent  er in a loop,  and wedged a shovel handle.  The tang , curved a bit and hammered flat has worked  good for saving my back when picking up most anything.  Bit lighter than a pick but you work with what you got.

I almost ordered Logrite's hookeroon, have their canthook  and it's the BEST, but the Shipping  brought it up close to $70  and dollar sphincter locked up.  Can't help it.  Make it if you can.  Wife says I'm tight.

Works nice as a walking stick too, good for grabbin' blowdown branchs and whacking snakes, etc. ;) ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

KjBarnwood

So what your saying, if I understand ya all is Logrite's are bad??  ;D

Thanks for the help!!

Keith

crtreedude

Logrites are so good that I made sure to go through the trouble of getting them down here! And trust me, the guys don't want to use anything else.

Maybe it is me - but if I am going to throw all my weight on something to move something else, I sure don't want it to break!

Wood is nice, but it can break, and eventually will. (rot) With logrite - you always know your next push won't be your last.  :o
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jim_Wahl

Logrite tools are so good counterfeits are being made now. >:(
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

Jeff

Ya,  I saw a video of one of the counterfeits being demoed. The handle bent on the first try.  Only buy your hook from Logrite or an Authorized dealer.

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

rbarshaw

I got mine at the southern sawmill convention in Atlanta, GA. a few years back. It's the best thing around a mill.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Jeff

Tamiam just posted a little pictorial tour in the Logrite sponsor area.  :)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,31003.0.html

Bibbyman

Quote from: Bibbyman on April 17, 2008, 09:52:15 PM
Yep.  The only thing better than a LogRite tool is an Orange LogRite tool!  ;D

I visited with Dave Mann of Wood-Mizer last weekend at the Open House in Mt. Veron.  He said they just keep expanding the number of LogRite tools they carry. 

The only thing better than an Orange LogRite cant hook is .....

More than one LogRite cant hook.  We now have FOUR.  Two 30" mill specials (like pictured above).  One 36" mill special and one 60"er. 

First LogRite to ship from Wood-Mizer

Brooke with 30" and 36" mill special.

I like the 36"er the best.   ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

go back to post 2 picture 1 and get one

I broke a wooden one once landed flat on back missed mill with my head by inches

danG handle came down and hit me between the legs lika some kinda cartoon

wow   hurt
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!