iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New England Tree ID Book

Started by Piston, July 19, 2009, 03:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

Hey Everyone,
I have a few general books on tree ID and it seems they have either WAY too much information (every tree imaginable!) or just too little information (small field guide with only pics of leaves for ID) and I'm looking for a good 'field guide' type book to carry with me on my walks in the woods. 
I live in Central MA and have land in the Lakes Region of NH, so I'm looking for something that may be specific to New England or Central New England.  Does anyone know of a good guide that would show tree ID's with pics of bark as well as leaves?  Most of my 'woods time' is in the fall and winter when most leaves are gone! 
I would like a guide that shows the most popular trees and they're characteristics but that isn't a 5lb encyclopedia! 
Thanks for any recommendations! 

EDIT:
Oops....I thought I put this in "Tree and Plant ID" but apparently not....  :)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

tonich

Quote from: Piston on July 19, 2009, 03:25:49 AM
Oops....I thought I put this in "Tree and Plant ID" but apparently not....  :)

Hey, no worries!
Just kindly ask SwampDonkey to do that!  ;)  ;D

beenthere

"Trees of North America" by Brockman is good too (Golden Press).  280 pages and "pocket" size.

Similar in size to Petersons bird book.  With good illustrations, descriptions, and maps.

There are others too. Google it and Amazon.com has several to pick from. I'm most happy with Brockman's, but others may have suggestions for their pick.

Which ones are you referring to in your message?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Piston

The one I carry with me most of the time is called 'New England Trees and Wildflowers' It's a very small "pamphlet" type guide, the large one I was referring to is an older 'encyclopedia' of trees I found in my parents bookcase but I don't remember the name of it.  I have another field guide type book but it seems very general....
Sorry I don't know the names of them offhand, I'm away from home so I can't go check.

I just ordered:
Trees of New England-A Natural History, Fergus
Trees of North America, Brockman
Identifying Trees: An All-Season Guide To Eastern North America - Michael D. Williams
Master Tree Finder, Nature Study Guide
A Beginner's Guide-Trees and Shrubs of Northern New England, Steele

These should all keep me busy for quite a while.... :D 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

John Mc

I've got the "National Audubon Society Field Guide to Trees: Eastern Region". It covers a lot more than just New England, but I've found it helpful. It's not going to fit in your shirt pocket, but at about 7.5" x 4" x 1" it's not too big to lug around with you.

A much smaller, less complete book, but still fairly useful is "Important Forest Trees of the Eastern United States" put out by the USDA Forest Service. I'm sure you'll find trees that are not in this 110 page booklet, but it's handy, and the pictures of the grain of the wood mille fro some of the included tree species can be interesting as well.

For some small, pocket sized books, try the "Tree Finder" and the "Winter Tree Finder" at www.naturestudy.com Leads you through identifying a number of species by answering various questions (i.e. "are the leaves opposite or alternate?"). Not an exhaustive species list, but at $3.95 each, you can't go too far wrong.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!