iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

High grade white oak logs price

Started by Luke_Eames, September 12, 2016, 11:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke_Eames

Anyone know the going rate for 20+ diameter 3-4 side clear white oak?  I have a potential customer looking for lumber and I'm looking to put in a reasonable offer for a tri-axle load of logs.  Thanks!!
Wood Mizer LT-70 Super Wide
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

paul case

The thing that drives the price on true white oak logs here  is the stave market. There is a stave mill not too far from here that will buy 3 side clear and 15'' and up for $1.50/ bdft. That keeps me from sawing any true white oak as it is worth more in the log to him than I can get for 4/4 fas wo($1.47/bdft).

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

Per the Hardwood Market Report, FAS white oak, 4/4, tractor trailer load quantity, FOB sawmill (loaded on truck at sawmill, not including haulng cost) $2300 per thousand BF, kiln dried, rough sawn. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Glenn1

I recently purchased 1400 feet of white oak, 4 sides clear and 16" and larger for $1800.  At the time, I thought that I was paying too much.

Quartersawn and Kiln Dried:

Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

killamplanes

X2 , and here the veneer market will open for w/o in next week or two. 3 sided veneer 16 up 1.80, has been runnin. Good grade mill here would pay 1.20-1.50 doyle. Gonna be another hot year for w/o I believe. But this is true w/o not post oak or a mix breed which is common here.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

4x4American

I tried posting before, internet wasn't working. 

I give for W.O. logs:

P: 650
S: 450
#1: 400
#2: 300
#3: 250
#4: 200

Our prices for northern hardwoods are going to be different than appalachian or southern w.o. because it grows slower and has tighter growth rings.  Alot of the white oak I saw, has a pinkish color to the lumber.  And that is fairly common I guess in my area because of the stressful terrain and weather.  I have cut a 150ish year old w.o. tree that was 15" dbh.  I still have a little firewood block I cut out of it.  That some buck is heavy.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Our White Oak also has a pinkish color, so it is not the "stressful terrain and weather".  It is the White Oak.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Same here.  It is a reaction to the wet wood being exposed to oxygen. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

alanh

I`ve just acquired a couple nice white oak butt logs, 32" diameter, 10`6' long, appear to be relatively clear. My first thought was trailer decking as I have a market for that.. what would be a good price for that, or should it be better for veneer? Not that I know how to sell or cut it for that... ???

Luke_Eames

Thanks for all the replies.  I was thinking $600-$800/ mBF would be a good offering range for the logs only. 
Wood Mizer LT-70 Super Wide
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

OneWithWood

Quote from: alanh on September 13, 2016, 08:40:47 AM
I`ve just acquired a couple nice white oak butt logs, 32" diameter, 10`6' long, appear to be relatively clear. My first thought was trailer decking as I have a market for that.. what would be a good price for that, or should it be better for veneer? Not that I know how to sell or cut it for that... ???

I don't think your log would qualify for veneer at 10'6".  Around here they want 14'.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

paul case

Quote from: 4x4American on September 12, 2016, 10:50:50 PM

Our prices for northern hardwoods are going to be different than appalachian or southern w.o. because it grows slower and has tighter growth rings. 

Good point. There is a price difference in the HMR.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

4x4American

Quote from: OneWithWood on September 13, 2016, 10:27:29 AM
Quote from: alanh on September 13, 2016, 08:40:47 AM

I don't think your log would qualify for veneer at 10'6".  Around here they want 14'.

Around here my veener buyer buys oak at 9'5" and 10'5"
Boy, back in my day..

killamplanes

Here it 8.6,9.6,10.6 min.. 8in extra better. I sell alot tree length 20ft 24ft etc clear. They will come out about the same if I split and separated grade. My veneer guy has a grade market that's strong to..
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Thank You Sponsors!