iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Learning to write english right or rite ???

Started by isawlogs, December 31, 2007, 10:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Well I know that I can write a whole lot better now than back in 2003 . I have probable hurt more eyes and ears than I can ever imagine with my hacking of the English literature .  :-\  What I would like to learn is the sentence structure and the spelling .... A dictionary is only good if one already knows how the dang word is spelled ... It does not give the tense or how to use it ... and most important where to ( wear ) (ware ) (wair )     ::)  There are so many words that sound the same but are not spelled the same , one can get in trouble real quick ... I have been lucky to have had some on here that I could send a message to and ask some silly question 'bout how thisis spelled or what this means ....  Why is teen spelled teen and mean  ... mean .. why is mean not spelled meen .  :P   There must be a logical answer ...  ;D

What I would like is to have you guys show me how to write ... well some of you , I can already write like Chet .  ;D ;)
  Correct my post or send me IM .. then I will go back and edit my post for the better .

Edit  1 ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Furby

Sprucegum

Your writing is already better than many coledge students.(I think I spelt colledge wrong?)

Well, I know I can write a whole lot better now than back in 2003. I have probably hurt more eyes and ears than I could ever imagine with my hacking of the English language.  :-* What I would like is to learn sentence structure and the correct spelling of certain words.A dictionary is only good if one already knows how the Dang word is spelled,it does not give its tense nor how to use it-and most important - where(wear)(ware) to use it.  ::) There are so many words that sound the same but are not spelled the same, one can get in trouble real quick. I have been lucky to have had some on here that I could send a message to and some silly question like "How's this spelled or what's this mean?" or "Why is teen spelled teen and mean - mean, why is mean not spelled meen?"  :P There must be a logical answer.   ;D

If I was pretending to be literate that's how I would have written the piece. Not much different than yours, eh?

limbrat

I think there is a logical answer (i am no one to correct anyones grammer)
language is a liveing thing it grows and contracts and adjust to match its enviroment.
Just like culture when it is isolated it becomes very abstract from the norm and specialized.
It's hard to be isolated now days so new cultural abstract are not caused by geological as much as they are by social isoation like hip hop.
ben

Radar67

Quote from: Sprucegum on December 31, 2007, 10:40:18 PM
Your writing is already better than many coledge students.(I think I spelt colledge wrong?)

spelt should be spelled

colledge should be college

:) :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

I envy your bilingualness.  Je parle un peu de francais, and I would like to see you use a little more French on some posts so that I can practice figuring it out.

We will help you if you will help us :).  Savvy?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rebocardo

> It does not give the tense or how to use it

Websters Unabridged College Dictionary should do it. It would be the one that tips the scales at 15+ pounds.  :D

If you would like, I could find a cheap student dictionary and remedial English language book in my library to get you started on sentence structure and verb tense.

DanG

Marcel, your command of the English language is already much better than many people for whom it is the first and only language.  I admire your aspiration to improve, though.  I suggest that you take Rebocardo up on his generous offer.  Also, I'll be glad to send a note of correction if I see a big mistake, but I'm not going to nitpick your every word.

The use of the language, both written and spoken, is one of my few talents, but you would hardly know it from some of my posts here.  I typically use a lot of colloquialisms in my informal conversations, and I try to write the same way I speak.  I also enjoy playing with words in an attempt to appear clever.  I sometimes worry that these attempts may be confusing to those of you for whom English is not your native language.  I don't worry about it enough to prevent me from doing it, though. ;D

I also keep a Webster's New World Dictionary beside my computer. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

scsmith42

Marcel - ditto DanG's compliments on your prose.

The best way that I know for you to continue to learn, is to strive to read a good book a week (in english).  Doesn't matter if it's fiction (probably better) or nonfiction - just keep reading.  The proper grammer and syntax will be absorbed subconsciously.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LeeB

Marcel, the best advice I can give you for learning to write is to read everything you can get your hands on. The more you read the easyer it gets and the more you will learn how the words are spelled. As you said, your spelling has improved over the last few years. I think it is because you have been reading and posting here on the forum. Keep it up and it will only keep getting better.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DanG

I meant to respond to your question about words that sound the same but are spelled differently for the different meanings they have.  The English Language, particularly the American version, is made up of words from many languages.  If you look in your dictionary, the origin of most words is explained in abbreviated form.  Paying attention to that when you look a word up might explain why it is spelled that way.  The meanings of those abbreviations should be listed in the front of the book.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

You speak and write English very good, Marcel.  

English was a Bastardized language before the America's were discovered by Columbus in 1492.  Many languages went into its make-up.  After the discovery, the americas were again turned into a mixing bowl and many of the words that confuse you probably have their base in different languages.  Many English works are derived from French.  Many from Norman and Norman was actually a displaced language from England that jumped the channel and later returned.  

One of the most interesting ways to study English, I think, is to find a book on Etymology.  That is the Study of the creation of words and tells from where they came.

There are links to a lot of the information to be found in Google by searching for English Etymology.  We Americans call it English, but it is probably better defined as American.  Even the English laugh at us.  :D

Looks like Dang beat me to it. :D :D

Oh!  Many of the words you list, you might think sound the same, but they have small differences.

Right and Write sound the same.  Right is a direction or a confirmation.  Write is to put words on paper.

Teen and Mean, Bean and been even confuse some americans when they spell them.  Where and wear and ware is easy.  Where has an "h" which makes it breathe.  It is pronounced with an exhalation of air.  Wear and ware are sharply gutteral  and are pronounced with a grunt from the throat.  :)

J_T

Marcel you got me beat by a long shot  8).Some time I just take a shot at spelling .Figure some these folks would figure it out .Never typed a thing till I joined the FF  ??? Need a large print spell checker I even got my print enlarged on this computer  ::)
Jim Holloway

beenthere

Marcel
As others have said well, your beginning post was quite well written, in my opinion.. ;D

The write and right words caused me to 'google' on write right and I came up with the write right guide

http://www.cdtl.nus.edu.sg/wrg/default.htm

It is quite interesting to browse, and comes up with many words that have mixed meanings and usages, as well as Singlish.  Some interesting reading.

Thanks for raising my curiosity   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

Quote from: isawlogs on December 31, 2007, 10:07:51 PM
What I would like is to have you guys show me how to write ... well some of you , I can already write like Chet .  ;D ;)

:-\  And........What's wrong wit dat.   :'(

Ya kinda talk like me too.  :D  :D  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

jjmk98k

good lord, what about yooper nights????

that will mess your mind big time.....

more worse than

drink drank drunk
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Ron Wenrich

Your English seems to be better than many others that I have seen over the Internet.  Here's a few words that sound the same that lots of people get confused.

Your and you're.  Your is a possessive of you.  You're is a contraction for you are.  When someone says "your right", that should mean to the right of you, not you are right. 

The other one that gets mixed up pretty readily is there, their, and they're.  There is an adjective that means at hand.  Their is a possessive of they, and they're is a contraction of they are.  Again, you might see "there right" and then have to figure out what is really meant.

Here's a dictionary of similar sounding words that may be helpful.
http://www.business-words.com/dictionary/index.html 

If you search similar sounding words, you'll come up with a few other sites.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Ron's right about mixing words up. I do it a lot and sometimes go back and edit after I read my post. Then sometimes I don't bother.  Sometimes your just thinking of stuff to write and don't pay much attention to the right word. ;D ;)

oh, rite pertains to a ceremonial ritual. Like a 'rite of passage.' The admins and Jeff have pretty much granted that to a lot of us on the forum. ;) :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cedarman

Bill Bryson has a book out and on tape  "The Mother Tongue,  English & How It Got That Way".  I have been listening to it as I haul logs from the woods.  It will tell you more than you ever want to know of why words are spelled the way they are and how they come about. 

Goes into pronunciation too.  Why do New Yorkers say moyder for murder etc?
Bunches of neat stuff.

I still have many tapes to go.  Maybe he will mention Yupper.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

sprucebunny

One of the things I really like about this forum is that many people add thier local accents ( for lack of a better word ) to thier comments.
Often, when I read your posts, Marcel, I can hear you talking. Same for DanG or Tom; i can hear thier voice.

If everyone wrote perfect English, it would be less fun  ;D

I agree that reading books in English will quickly help you understand usages.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

John Bartley

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on January 01, 2008, 07:35:25 AM

Your and you're.  Your is a possessive of you.  You're is a contraction for you are.  When someone says "your right", that should mean to the right of you, not you are right. 

And ... not to sound like a smarty pants, but context is as important as, and also influences the spelling and meaning of similar sounding words.

Ron's example of "your right" is a good one and here's a couple of examples ::

Your new sawmill is on your right. 
Your right to own a sawmill is undeniable.
You're right to own a sawmill because leasing is too expensive.
You're right to keep the blade guards to your right if you're right handed.

cheers eh?

john ... pot ... stir ... can't resist ... :)

PS ::: read, read, read, and then read some more .... and it doesn't matter what you read, all the same words are used in comic books and supposedly great novels ....
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Don K

Marcel, I have just read you post and I must say that you have come a long way. I have read some of your first posts and they have evolved very nicely. You have managed to get a grasp of the crazy thing that is the English language and make good use of it. That is a feat in itself considering how badly we as a people of different regions manage to twist it up so badly. Have you ever considered what it would be like to learn to speak english from a southern boy? :D :D We came up with some words that ain't very proper and most of ya'll don't use.  :D ;D See what I mean. :D 

All jokes aside, I agree with some of the others. Read all you can and it will come naturally. Check word questions in the dictionary. I find it to be true in most cases that a well read person usually spells the majority of words right and usually gets the word use correct also. It is like a baby learning to walk, the more he does it the better he gets.

You are a very interesting person and I would like very much to meet you. I would love to have the ability to speak French as it is a very interesting sounding language. My hat is off to you. You have done well.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

sawguy21

I agree with the others. You have done very well, your English skills have improved dramatically simply by reading and writing here. I took six years of French in high school and college and get a kick out of some of your expressions. I can no longer speak it due to lack of use although  I can read a bi-lingual label, mandatory here in Canuckistan, and get the general drift. Language must be used to stay alive.
There is an interesting history behind French. It was the language of culture and commerce in the western world for centuries but got left behind because the French people refused to let it change and evolve. There is still a government agency charged with ensuring language purity.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Captain

Marcel, you've met my 100% French Canadian Wife.  You know I'm from Vermont.  I could always understand you perfectly  ;D

Your command of the english language is remarkable.  I only wish that I was multilingual myself.

Captain

Cedarman

Bryson mentioned a bunch of words that have the opposite meaning now than they did 100 years ago.

Look at what we are doing to the word "cool".

Marcel, I always thought you communicated just fine.  When you asked me if I wanted a beer at the piggie roast, I understood you just fine. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!