iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

zeri turn mower accident

Started by easymoney, April 08, 2008, 11:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easymoney

this afternoon a cousin of mine was mowing near the edge of a steep gully at the edge of his yard with a new zero turn mower. one front wheel bumped a stump and him and the mower slid down into a gully with the mower landing on top of him. he might have laid there for hours except he had his cellphone with him and managed to call a neighbor who lifted it up enough for him to crawl out from under it. he escaped with a badly sprained ankle and a fat lip. his main concern was if his new mower was hurt. it escaped with very light damage concidering it had been upside down. plastic parts will bend a lot and spring back to shape with little or no damage.

sawguy21

This can happen with any ride on equipment, the operator needs to constantly assess the risks. Hopefully he has learned to stay away from the edge and do the trimming with hand tools.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

metalspinner

:o :o

On my first trip around the yard with my new rider I had it full out.  I guess the mower deck was too low for the hidden surface root of a maple tree.  When the front of the deck hit that root, the mower stopped dead and I was on my way over the steering wheel. air_plane

I hope your buddy feels OK this morning with only his pride suffering  a bit.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

johncinquo

That happened around here a couple years ago.  Unfortunately the mower pinned the guy in a lil crick with about 4" of water in it, and he drowned.  He was some well liked and known civic figure that had retired a couple weeks before.   Never know how your gonna go. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

easymoney

he will survive. he has a very sore foot and lip like he had met up with mike tyson. he is very lucky considering the distance he fell and the fact that it landed on top of him.zero turn mowers are great on level ground, but i do not want one. they are definetely for level ground.

little Bark

I see it all the time mowers that weigh 600 to 1000 lbs w/ the roll bar taken off or folded down.  I know the smaller mowers don't have them but sounds like a roll bar may have prevented the mower from rolling completly over.
Always use the rite tool for the job.

sawguy21

easymoney, I feel more confident on a z turn than a conventional lawn tractor. The roll centre is generally a bit lower making them more stable. Still, it is too easy to get complacent.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SPIKER

I found a steiner tractor (mower with very low ctr of gravity and 4 wheel drive/ articulating steering) in the ditch down the road, when I passed, it was upside down and had water flowing around it.   I stopped and turned around but luckily no-one was there under it.   It was stuck in the ditch 2+ days...   it was at the end of a long winding drive, which is fancy & nicely kept, I think they tried to mow along the ditch but it was steeper than they thought.   
:(

MarkM
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!