iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A tree ate my cable

Started by Kevin, April 10, 2008, 08:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

If you don't clear the trees from your lines they'll eat your cables.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfGww_sfoT4

Tom

Well, I'm in suspense.  Did you cut below the cable and leave a 5 or 6 inch piece on the cable to rot away, while you took the rest of the tree down?

Kevin

Tom;
I use a splitting wedge and attempt to split the wood down to the strand and cable while it's still attached to the tree.
If you cut it off then it bounces all over the place and takes forever to work it loose.
Once it's split with the wedge I cut it off below the cable and break it apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN9G7AapfjM#

Tom

Ah-h-h  I see.  I would have just left that little bit hanging on the cable. it would rot off soon.  ;D

Using the wedge was pretty smart.  You're a pretty smart feller.  :D

Why do you keep taking your gloves off of your hands.  Can't you see that snow on the ground?   It's Dang cold up there.  :D

Kevin

You have to take the gloves off to rub your hands together. ;D

The tricky thing about this type of take down is the problem with the branch tips hanging up in other trees.
If the top comes free and then stalls because it's caught in other branches it can end up coming straight down on me so prior to climbing the tree a line was set in the tip and back through a pulley on the back of the truck, by leaving a little bit of hinge wood and cutting the hinge free on the side that's hung up at the top then pulling the rope to bring it over keeps me from wearing the tree.
That's what that yellow rope is in my left hand.

Furby

They don't rot off real fast around here Tom. :-\
There is a Boxelder one hanging on the lines just up the road from me.
Thinking it was 5 or 6 years ago they cut it.
I know of few others that have been there longer yet. ::)

Tom

A little block of wood wouldn't last 6 months here in summer.

That is a neat trick, rigging back to the truck and then back to you in the tree.  I would like it better, if it were me, if there was another fellow on the ground pulling on the rope.  ;D

Kevin

I'd like a hand on the ground too but everyones too busy  eh ?  ::)

Paul_H

I'll help you,Pick me up Saturday morning.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DanG

Kevin, I take it you still work for the Phone Co., eh? :D

I watched a power crew fix a little problem up in Alabama last week.  One guy went up and did all the work, but they had two more bucket trucks and 5 more guys on the ground watching.  A'course, they were dealing with a bit more than 48 volts there.  Musta been at least 115kv. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

farmerdoug

Those blocks can last a long time around here too.

I have been watching a couple of elm blocks left on a phone line five years ago.  I think they are probably 20 year blocks at least. ;)  The sad thing is it was the phone company guys that left them. ::)
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Don K

DanG, I think you hit the nail on the head why elec. is so much. I had a yard light put up and was home when they came to do the job. First pulled up the boss in his Chevy 2500  PU. He had the yard lights and bulbs in his truck. I guess they were worried the workers would steal something. Then comes the truck with the pole trailer, he had the drill on his rig. Then comes a bucket truck. Each truck has two workers in it. Then another bucket truck comes from down the road. It stops on the right of way. It has two workers. One looks kinda young. One guy puts the copper ground wire and the light on the pole while the other guy drills the hole. The boss and other four stand around and watch. Nobody is moving fast. They set the pole and move the drill truck. Then bucket truck man gets the wire and taps into the feed line on the other side of the yard. Light comes on during test. Then somebody notices a small red oak limb hanging close to the wire. Out comes a manual pole saw at full extension. Boss motions over young guy, yep he is new. All the others stand and watch him cut the small limb will giving advice. Time to put tools up. Everybody moves in slow motion till tools are stowed away. Then they stand around and wipe their brows. It has been hard work watching this installation. They all get in the trucks and something amazing happens. It sounds like the start of the Talledega 500 race when they leave. Trucks are belching black smoke.Must be break time. I just shake my head and admire my new light.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Kevin

Paul, I'll send the Forestry Forum limo for you. ;D

DanG, three more years if I don't eat a tree.  ;D

70k winds today, stay tuned I may have another video soon!

Thank You Sponsors!