iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dismantling Bridges

Started by Paul_H, August 07, 2005, 01:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

8) 8) 8)
So is it all out or just those first bays?
What are they doing with it all, scrap?
Anything you can put to use? ;D

Paul_H

It was layed down on the river bar and then Frank and I knocked the pins out of the middle of the bridge and split it into two 3 bay sections.The crane operator didn't want to lift more than that because he's out too far.

Pins knocked out and ready to lift

We did manage to dig and cut out the 3 sections that were buried in the gravel too .
Tomorrow morning we lift this mess out with the crane,tidy up a bit,then see what is left to do down at the log bridge.I'm guessing the 3800 Madill will have it pulled& piled.
It was a good day,had fun working with Frank and Kerry.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Paul_H

Furby,

Yes the whole bridge has been cut up now and only the first two sections appear to be undamaged and that's why we drove pins there instead of torching.The rest will probably end up as scrap.

I have been half thinking about putting aside 3 bays worth of straight parts for my freind Glen. He is just down the road and has no crossing over the slough behind his place.The slough is around 20 feet bank to bank.

Furby

Sounds like it would be a good use for it! No sense in scrapping it if there is a use.
I finally took that old pipe/water tank into the scrap yard last week and just loaded up another load a little while ago.
The pile of stuff that I might be able to use has gotten a bit smaller, but as long as there might be a better use then scrap........ ::)

Paul_H

I don't like to throw anything away either.Was wondering if the side rails from the bridge would make a good trusses for a building?

Buzz-sawyer

I was thinkin it would make a nice heavy duty Canuk Mobile Dimension,. :o :o 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Paul_H

:D maybe why I like the Bailey bridge so much eh? Reminds a person of the MD track.

Furby

smiley_headscratch Hard to say with out seeing them, but I would bet they would work.
Depends how big of a span ya talking and wether you could control snow load. ;) ;D
I've seen those trusses used as small bridges.
What the heck......haul it all home! :D

Any of the logs in the other bridge worth cutting?

Furby

Actually, a member made a BIG slabber out of some trusses and I can see one being made out of those side pieces.
Ain't that right Reid?
I think I have a pic someplace..........

Paul_H

Well it had a total of 9 sections each 10' long so a good 60'  freespan supported snow every Winter ;)

Furby

Yes, but were the side pieces tied to the rest of the bridge?
Maybe I need to do some reading on those bridges.

Kevin

Paul;
How many salmon did you catch?
I know how it works out there!  ;D

Paul_H

Frank said he only ate one.  :D

But just to be sure they can get up this far,we installed this fish ladder 8)

here is how they anchored the crib log onto the bare rock.Drill steel grouted in on both sides of the log and bent over.I believe that when the time comes to replace the crossing,they will have to head upstream 600 feet or more.Where the river is running now,was the far bank and logging road until the fall of 2003(same time we were flooded at our house in the valley)

Furby,

we stacked this raft kit here for you in case you can't get the funds together to float down the Yukon but have enough to come to BC.(some assembly required)

Furby

Gee thanks! ::)
Ya really wanna see me work don't ya! :D
Guess I better bring some glue as most of them don't look that long.

sprucebunny

Thanks for the pics, Paul. :)

Furby--- Think  screwgun :D 
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D
I was thinking screwed! :o :D

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Paul_H

These are the last of the pics.We finished up at the Bailey bridge at 11:30 this morning(Aug 11) after swinging the junk out of the river bed and  then helped button up the crane before heading down the hill.

We stopped and had a look at the site where the log bridge was.The Madill 3800 came in and had things pulled,chunked,and piled in 2 1/2 hours. Dave,the operator had pulled all the cribbing out and had it stacked up neatly too.

Before and after

Not much meat left on those stringers eh?

Here is the 3800 already parked and waiting for the lowbed.

Furby

Not bad at all! 8)
Nobody got hurt right?

Yup, they look a bit "well used". ;D

Paul_H

There was one injury,a fractured ankle  :-X

Ken,the super on the job is 57 years old and has had health problems. We climbed up on the bridge on Tuesday afternoon for a pre work inspection.As we were walking back up the deck,he was hanging on to the rail tightly.I asked if he was okay and he told me that the medication he was taking since his stroke screwed up his balance  :-X

When we got to the top of the bridge(right hand side in top pic) I jumped down and offered my arm to grab a hold of.He refused and I told his to stop being proud and take my arm.This went back and forth a few times and then he tumbled off of the bridge and smashed his legs pretty bad.I kept his head and shoulders from hitting the rocks but I can still hear the "thud" he made.
Helped him back to the truck and he was a little embarrassed and cut up.He had fallen around 6'.

Next day he was sporting a brand new cast and didn't get out of the truck.  :)

Furby

Bummer!
Glad it wasn't any worse though!

Paul_H

Pride comes before a great fall.

Furby

Kirk_Allen

So sorry to here about the injury.   Looks like the job went a whole lot faster than was anticipated. 

Thank You Sponsors!