iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

alligator clips for v-belt

Started by woody1, June 19, 2007, 09:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody1

Anyone ever use alligator clips to splice largr v-belt ? I need to make some bigger ones out of big ones.
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

arj

I never used a bought clip, but I`ve made my own. Needed to replace a belt
on my hay rake, worked well for two years untill i replaced the rake.
                                  arj

Fla._Deadheader

Old Timer that taught me to saw with a Circle mill, told me NEVER use Alligator. It wears out quicker, and could slip on the metal pulleys, causing even more wear.

Told me to always use Clipper lacers. Takes a special tool to install, but, I never wore them out ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Wenrich

There are two types of clips that I have run across.  One is a wide clip and is put onto the belt with a bolt.  Those are best used on conveyor belts.  They can skate on drive belts.

The other type are more like staples.  We always went to a farm dealership to have them put on.  You won't use them enough to justify buying any.  Some of the sawmill dealers carry the clip system.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Stan snider

Any farm equipment dealer that deals in big round hay balers will have the lacing tool you need and the cost is minimal. Stan

thecfarm

Stan sinder trying to slip in with his first post.Welcome to the forum Stan.Glad you could be of help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woody1

welcome Stan.... just to let you know, these are V-belts not flats.    Thanks

Fla._Deadheader

I was thinkin flat feed-reverse belts, ???  I never heard of a successful V-belt splice ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Wenrich

I missed the v-belt connection as well.  You won't be able to use alligators on a v-belt.  There's not enough room.  I'd think you would want new belts.  Are you using them on the belt from your motor to your arbor?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woody1

I found just what I was looking for. A company named Flexco makes a v-belt splice. They have a distributor in Altoona, who has the splices in stock. The belt is the 2 mile long son-of-a-gun from the power unit to the edger. I am going up tommorrow to pick a couple up. The company sent me some info. on them, we'll see what happens. I will let you know. Thanks, Woody.

woodman

I did not know a belt could be two miles long. :D
Jim Cripanuk

Thank You Sponsors!