iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIG elm, sister to walnut

Started by Ironwood, May 23, 2010, 10:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Here are a few pics, BIG BIG tree.

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ironwood

I dunno, really big for around here, perhaps 48"- 60", depends where you measure. It has issues, shake in the bottom, the area where it branches is HUGE. That area is 60+"
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

metalspinner

You've been busy!

I'm debating with myself about picking up a monster elm right now.  Are you ging to slab this one?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ironwood

Yes, I guess I need to get my 12' bar powered and supported.  Ironwood

WDH

That will make some great slabs!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Your description was correct about size.  Did you count rings on either trees?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ironwood

I think the Walnut was about 80 -100 years, same w/ the elm. Town has a great history, was started by Rosevelt's administration and his wife Nora came to the site, hence Noravelt. Was designed w/ 5 acres per house enough the have animals and small agriculture. Neat little two dormer 2 story houses spaced out. Cool story. I think the trees where planted around that time. Each house was focused on affordability and small agriculture (gardens, chickens, and small livestock). The thing that is neat even today is that htere are really no McMansions around and most are good middle class families who want some space.

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!