iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detroit engine stand ??? any ideas

Started by Tramp Bushler, May 18, 2012, 01:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tramp Bushler

Well it seems there is a problem with the 353 that I got for the 330 TJ . I was baring it over and it made a clunking noise then fetched up and wouldn't turn over that way any further  :-[

So I need an engine stand for a 53 series Detroit .
Any one got any ideas what an engine stand for a Detroit looks like .????
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

treefarmer87

there was a homemade one of steel attached to the motor mounts on the motor i got put in the c6
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Tramp Bushler

I have some steel . I figure I'll have to weld something up .

Autocar

I made mine [ FRONT of detroit ] with a four foot buy six by ten I beam.and the rear I used a six by ten there also. To make everything level I used a four by four and drilled the I beam and the oak four by four and went though the front mount holes. And the back I welded quarter inch thick angle and welded them to the I beam and bolteded them to the rear mounts. PS mine was a 4/53 good luck Bill .
Bill

Tramp Bushler

Ok . Thanks . I have some steel , not alot . I think I'll use cutting edges from  graders for the feet .

dixmont

before you pull engine apart have you pulled the blower?lots of time the blower froze and splits a rotor good luck

Tramp Bushler

I gotta admit . I really don't know anything about them . Other than how to run them and how to work them . But I'm almost looking foreward to taking a Small Detroit apart , rebuilding it and running it . . Thats why I decided to stick with 2 stroke Jimmys . If I can learn them , so I understand them then I can do the work I need to do with them . Which is what its all about with me . . I have both a 353 and a 453 that needs rebuilding . And maybe the 371 thats in my loader . Tho it runs good now . .
Anyone know how much it is to rebuild a starter for a 71 series .??

Tramp Bushler

Anyone know if theres an idiots manuual for rebuilding Detroits ??

sandhills

Yes there is, but can't remember who published it, an old mechanic that is now retired let me borrow his a few years ago and I still wish I'd offer to buy it.  As someone else on this forum stated, "there are two types of diesel mechanics, those that work on Detroits and those that work on everything else".  they are actually a pretty simple and forgiving engine when it comes to rebuilding but I would have to have the book back for even coming close to setting the racks, if you run into trouble give me a pm and I'll see if I can track down a book for you.

shelbycharger400

whats wrong with the starter?  benex bad?  bring it in, they (big company greed) has made it so you cant get parts anymore on your own. most big motor starter bendexes are around 65, brushes and bushings combined i think were 12 to 15. 
90 percent of the time, you just need to clean up the contacts ,sometimes  you need a set of brushes, sometimes just a set of bushings.

Rooster

A couple of Forums that specialize in Detroit 2 Stroke:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php

http://pub40.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3407651264&frmid=150&msgid=0

I am learning as I go, so that I can build a Rat Rod with a 4-53 Detroit..."Screamin' Detroit"!!

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

kiko

I have never needed an engine stand for any engine I ever built. Remove head and stand engine on its end and build bottom end. Make it back horizontal and finish it up. You only need something to lift the engine and some wood blocks. If crank needs to be removed roll it one more time.

Tramp Bushler

Thanks Rooster . I signed up on the cummins site . They seem to have a pretty good Detroit forum ..  Kiko . The problem is . I don't know what I can and what I can't do or what I should or shouldn't .. Not being a mechanic I don't have a knack for understanding them . So I kindof need to learn them methodically . Read ( slow brain ) . Plus I don't have a shop to work in.

kiko

You certantly can,t build the engine in the dirt. If the oil pan is removable  you might consider an in-frame. As mentioned earlier I would check the blower. Also check the oil filter for metal contaminates.

Tramp Bushler

Ok . Thanks . I've been looking at the steel that I have and I've got an idea brewing in my head . Need to ruminate on it some more .

bushmechanic

I'm with kiko on the stand idea,I never use one I just have a table built about three feet high and three feet by five feet top on it.If you haven't worked on them before then you should really get a manual,I got a cd on ebay once for about 20 bucks.

Tramp Bushler

Yes . I have to get the manuals . A big , skookum table would prolly work . You guys must think I'm a real dunce ( probably am) . I counted up and I have 4 , 2 stroke Detroits . Only 1 that runs . Can't afford to take one in and get it rebuilt so I better learn how to do it myself .

This gypo loggin is sure different than being a west coast timber faller . .q

Thank You Sponsors!