iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Keep your muzzle outta my camera lens :D

Started by SwampDonkey, May 27, 2004, 02:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yesterday, when going to a job site I discovered this creature beside the road. There was a guard rail between me and it, so I desided to take a piccy. He was in no hury to leave his patch of spring morsels to browse on, but took time to smile at the camera.  ;D

I saw 7 moose yesterday, starting with a cow and a yearling 2 miles below home. Five others (including this bull) where all seen near my job site, along the highway. This one was a solitary bachelor. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

That's neat!  How big is a moose, anyway.   something like a quarter horse or a donkey or a Thoroughbred?  I wonder if anyone has tried to ride one?  How do they taste?  What's the difference between the taste of Moose and White Tail?  Is it real dark meat like horse, or red like beef?  

I have only seen them on TV and there is never anything to around to offer a relative size. :)

SwampDonkey

A moose like this one is about 7 feet from ground to top of shoulders. They are not broad across the rib cage like a cow, quite narrow to fit throught the thickets that they spend alot of time feeding in. There meet is dark and gamie in taste. The roasts are the best cut, but older animals can be tough. Meet is lean. Some older dominant bulls can get up to 1200 lbs in weight. You'll not get too close to a dominant male, he makes himself scarce fast. Younger animals are more curious and will often hang in small groups of young males. This bull is probably 3 years old. I saw an older one with much bigger antlers started, he was with a cow. Just about every one of them moose I saw I coulda hit with the truck. They are fairly docile animals, but they can turn on ya quick if they are rutting or have calves. I've seen photos from Alaska where they were used to plow fields. They were probably raised since they were calves. The annual harvest here is 2500 animals on a 3 day hunt.

Heres a calve being trained in Skagway for trail use.

Here are some newborns in the Yukon

:)

Yehaw, ride the swampdonkeys :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

David_c

tom the taste of moose is absolutly delicious. if you get a chance to try it trust me you'll love it. but then what do i know i love bear meat too :). both i find to be better than deer. as for riding one i'd like to see that ;D.

Kevin

I missed taking a picture of a bear the other day so today when I saw a cow and her calf swamp donkey I pulled over, got the camera ready and even turned it on.
Drove up to where the two were and they moosied off behind some tags before I could get the truck stopped. RATS ::)

SwampDonkey

Today, just 2 miles down the road, someone struck another swamp donkey. There was damage to the car and the wardens had to put the yearling moose down. It was following its mother, crossing the highway. I was waiting for this to happen sooner or later, since they both have been hanging around there and crossing the road indiscriminately. It was one of the moose I saw 2 weeks ago in my post above.  ::)

pappy

While having coffee on the back porch with the wife she looks over my shoulder and there's one of last summers twins tippy toeing up the road that heads "out back".  I was able to get a couple quick shots.  I'll most likely get more this summer as they frequent the back 40 quite often.  :)   :)

Swamp donkey we had four hit in Maine in one day this past week.   :o  It's to Dang bad,  but the black flies are driving em out into the roadways.
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

SwampDonkey

Yup, its just as tragic for the motorists too.

This last week, my uncle thought he saw a moose on a back road. And he thought he would surprise it. So, he hid just off the road in the bushes. This big black figure kept coming and coming , but in the bushes he couldn't see where it was at. So, he decides to step out onto the road to take a peek. And he said it was the biggest black bear he'de seen in awhile and it kept coming. He wasn't far from the pickup so he got outta there quick. :D :D. That'll teach ya to play peek a boo with the black bears, I told'm. :D :D He's been guiding bear hunters this week from Penn. He had two guys and they each got a bear, one monday night, one tuesday. Not the big one though, that's why he's big, he's too cagey for those fellas. ;)

pappy

Since this is the Moose thread -- well my brothers boss is heading to town from the office and he calls Dave on his cell to grab the company digital camera and get his butt on down to the Daigle flats ASAP.  So he does what he is told like a good employee and his pictures make the state news paper.

Boy you don't ever see this even in moose country at least I never did and I've worked and sported out in the north Maine woods for the last 50 years!!!

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

SwampDonkey

Those babies better scamper to the woods. :D

Two or three years ago a cow moose was having calves at the edge of a field and a local farmer watched her from a distance in his tractor. She had 3 babies, but one was still born. I see twins quite often but most times never have the camera. :D :D

This spring at the lower end of the field, out of view of the highway I witnessed 3 cub bears with their momma pickin through last fall's corn harvest. There was corn that didn't even turn black over winter. That must of been some hard corn to eat. ;D

pappy

SD,

They had scampered into the woods but Dave was patience and they came back out to get their picture taken.  :D

I had also seen many sets of twins and have heard of triplets but never saw any.  Now my brother has gotten the proof.   8)

Thank You Sponsors!