iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Time -How to make square cuts with hand saw

Started by Brad_bb, September 10, 2011, 11:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I made my first youtube video!  Filmed with my little digital camera, I now want a better video camera.  My friend Raquel edited the video, and being her first time as well, went wild with music, titles etc. She's the best!  I'm really happy how it came out given the raw footage.  The editing made all the difference.  Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfNHXdDUPeU
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

dukndog

Brad...two thumbs up!! That is a great video!!! I really liked the "schooling" explaining what you were doing. Only suggestion I would give is more lighting..but thats trivial to the great content you included!!
Thanks so much for sharing!!

DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

beenthere

Good explanation on the video. Now you should make one that shows how to sharpen the saw that will need it shortly after a few of those cutoffs. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Barebuttminer

Wood-Mizer LT15, John Deer 450C Dozer, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Stihl 009

TonyZ

Excellent.

My hat is off to Raquel. Just the right amount of details in the titles. Judicious use of words.

Brad_bb

@ Beenthere: Actually you cannot sharpen a Stanley Sharptooth saw.  The design of the teeth does not allow it.  Surprisingly, they last for awhile. 

@dunkndog:  I agree.  That's why I was so surprised at how well it did come out.  The light in that barn wasn't good, but it was windy outside and I knew with that camera all you would hear would be wind noise.  I really want to buy a good video camera now.

@everyone else: thanks a lot!

WDH

Good show!  Well explained and delivered.  I especially like the music.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

The music was all my friend doing the editing.  She knows little other than what I've told her, but she is a good student as she added all the words and added the music on her own.

Collin Beggs first showed me the square cutting technique.  Rooster (Craig Roost) recent showed me the parring trick that made it much easier.

mastiffluvins

You have to make more videos now because I enjoyed it and I just subscribed.

Rooster

Good Job Brad!   I guess we can take this one off the list of "things to do"..eh?

Is this the start of a series?  Need any "guest framers"? 

TIMBER TIME with Brad Baber...

Starring Brad Baber as himself...

Brad welcomes special guests,
Ted Benson 
Jack Sobon
Collin Beggs
jander3
dukndog
and a very special visit from everyones favorite FF Moderator, Mr. Jim_Rogers!!!
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Brad_bb

nebruks

Great stuff Brad. Very well explained. The trick with the chisel before using a saw was great. The whole "skill bundle" of the craftsmen in my opinion consists of many tricks, tips and nuances - or in one word - experience.

If you are willing to make series of those "teaching videos" - I suggest you to invest some money in good HD camera and some good microphone - so it would give more value to the video. Jacob

nebruks

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 10, 2011, 11:12:31 PM
The music was all my friend doing the editing.  She knows little other than what I've told her, but she is a good student as she added all the words and added the music on her own.

Collin Beggs first showed me the square cutting technique.  Rooster (Craig Roost) recent showed me the parring trick that made it much easier.

Oh I wish I will reach Collin at his workshop next summer. I wanted to go this year - but I had some stuff to do at my home. Collin's works, bio and philosophy very impressed me.

John S

Brad,
Thank you for posting.  Seeing a demo goes much further than reading a description of how to do something.  Keep up the good work.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

krusty

hey brad can you pls post what s/w she used to edit?

Brad_bb

I asked her last night.  She said it was Windows Movie Maker which came on her computer in 2006.  She didn't think it was that great to use though.  It took her quite awhile.  Of course a number of factors can play into that, features of software, computer speed and quality of video card etc.
   I'm about to buy a higher end computer/workstation because I'm going to be buying a top CAD program.  I'll have two monitors too.  It will have a top end video card.  This will be a far better platform for future video editing.  I'm reviewing consumer grade video editing programs now.  I don't need all kinds of special of high end special effects like Annoying orange on youtube, but I want to be able to produce quality vids for instruction purposes, family stuff, and to help out some local candidates for their races.

Thank You Sponsors!