iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loving these lumber prices

Started by Lawg Dawg, December 18, 2017, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Why do they radius the corners . I produce sharp edge I like the look of it and I like working with it better than the round edge .

Quebecnewf

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Quebecnewf on January 10, 2018, 10:44:35 PM
Why do they radius the corners . I produce sharp edge I like the look of it and I like working with it better than the round edge .

Quebecnewf
Quote from: Crusarius on January 10, 2018, 12:38:43 PM
I keep wondering if they are putting larger radiuses on the edges so they can make more particle board? Last time I bought framing 2x's the had at least 3/8" radius on all 4 edges.

It's a mystery,  I also prefer square edge lumber over the radius....I feel it's more precise if it's cut right
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Kbeitz

I think the square edge is more acceptable to damage. With everyone
handling it all the time I think it would look in rough shape and be
hard to sell.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

I wish they would stop doing the radius. especially when trying to lay 2 pieces of drywall onto 1 stud. But for some reason they seem to think that it is important. Maybe its just what sells.

Jemclimber

Just FYI,   The reason for the radius has to do with fire prevention.  The round edge takes more heat to ignite than the sharp square edge.
lt15

Darrel

I go in Home Depot and nod my head. I like these prices. I saw mostly for myself and the higher the prices, the more $$$ I save.  :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

moodnacreek

You can't have a square edge if it was never there.

Magicman

I would be hesitant to think that the rounded corners are designed for any customer's benefit but rather the result of the manufacturing/processing operation.  Their only goal is high production.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Quebecnewf

Quote from: Jemclimber on January 11, 2018, 08:50:04 AM
Just FYI,   The reason for the radius has to do with fire prevention.  The round edge takes more heat to ignite than the sharp square edge.

So this is the only correct answer? Never knew that . Seems a little strange to me but then what do I know .?

Quebecnewf

alan gage

In addition to the other speculative ideas on rounded corners how about allowing some airflow through the stack?

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Darrel

Having been a planerman in a large production mill, I know the reason for the eased edges. S4S without eased edges is sharp and very hard on leather gloves, aprons, hands and clothes. 
1992 LT40HD

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Darrel on January 11, 2018, 07:28:03 PM
Having been a planerman in a large production mill, I know the reason for the eased edges. S4S without eased edges is sharp and very hard on leather gloves, aprons, hands and clothes.

I wonder why they leave the shelving board edges square and sharp? ::)

Hmmm....another lumber yard mystery... :D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

barbender

Construction lumber isn't likely to be edge joined like regular S4S.
Too many irons in the fire

Jemclimber

Quote from: Darrel on January 11, 2018, 07:28:03 PM

The cost of PPE is negligible compared to the cost of the equipment to produce a radius.  If anyone thinks a large lumber company cares at all about employee clothing costs enough to add an expensive step to production I have a bridge to sell you. (old saying)  :D     
Government mandates and NFPA have a big voice. 
lt15

Southside

A knife with a radius costs the same thing as a square edged knife.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

Quote from: Southside logger on January 12, 2018, 07:53:48 AM
A knife with a radius costs the same thing as a square edged knife.

Yup.

As far as the bridge is concerned, the check is in the mail. (old saying)
:D
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!