iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pignut Hickory shallow bowl

Started by ScottInCabot, August 16, 2015, 05:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottInCabot

Had a little time after cleaning up the flowerbeds, and the wife was still painting the chair I had to pressure wash yesterday(and I hate painting).  So I snuck into the garage and grabbed one of the final pieces of Pignut Hickory I had milled on my WoodMizer LT10 last year.

Talk about hard stuff! Glad I had the sharpening station sitting next to the lathe(Nova 1624)!!!

Anyway, this chunk made for a nice little shallow bowl.  Start-to-finish: little less then 3hrs
I used a finish called 'shine juice' for now, but I may use a few coats from a rattle can lacquer?  Still thinking on that though.....maybe?

Thanks for looking!

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

Nice.  Hickory has beautiful grain.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

That devil-wood bowl has a warm personality.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den-Den

Nice looking bowl.  Turning wood can be as addictive as sawing.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Lud

Lot of yellow in that wood.  Is this pignut hickory a local name?  Haven't heard the term.The wood reminds me of Osage Orange/BoisD'arc/Bodark which I have turned the last two years and it is as hard as the hickory that grows here.

Is there a difference, Danny? ???
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Yes, it is one of about 10 native hickories, including the pecan hickories.  One of the more common hickories out there.  Nuts are small and not as meaty as mockernut and the shagbark hickories. 

Check out the range map on this link. 

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=19
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ScottInCabot

Yes, woodturning is the addiction that turned me into a hobby sawyer!  Now I have two addictions....go figure?  Like I needed something else, oh well, fly-fishing was too relaxing anyway!

Yes, Pignut Hickory is a common name, and as stated the tree has a very small fruit/nut.  The 'yellow-ish' timber is the sapwood on this one, the heart is generally a golden brown hue(at least when you apply an oil-based finish to it).  The piece also had some bar inclusion and worm trails(I find the best selling bowls 'for me' have defects...err, character).

Speaking of addiction....just sold my first mill, a WoodMizer LT10.  I'll be ordering an LT28 as soon as I can figure out the online issues with WM's website.  It'll mean less time turning wood and more onsite milling, but there is some pennies out there for me to get.

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

Magicman

Congrats on the sawmill upgrade.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!