iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's junkyard find.

Started by Kbeitz, January 09, 2017, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

When I was about 8 we lived near a local dumping spot on the river. Just full of good stuff a kid needed. Everyday I'd drag stuff home and everyday my mom would make me drag it back. You're what I would have been if it hadn't been for a woman holding me back!
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Kbeitz

Well it rained today so I got time to check out the chain saw. I put some gas in it
but it was almost full of what smelled like good gas. I should of dumped it out
because after about 5-10min of run time it locked up tight. I dumped out the gas and
put in a heavy mix and I backed out the H. screw one turn. I removed the spark plug
and squirted in some WD-40 and pulled the rope. It pulled hard but it came free.
So I fired it back up and ran it hard. I cut wood for about 30 min with no problems.
I had to put a chain on it . I have 100's of junkyard chains but I had a hard time finding
one the fit the narrow blade. I find lots of good bars and chains at the yard but not many
chainsaws. This looks to be a keeper. Like I said before this looks almost unused.
When was the last year homelite made a super XL ?

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

grouch

One of those "Kohler engine parts" appears to be an ice cream mixer, to me.
Find something to do that interests you.

Kbeitz

Quote from: grouch on August 22, 2017, 02:31:47 AM
One of those "Kohler engine parts" appears to be an ice cream mixer, to me.

Yep. White mountain . highly sought after in this area.

Thanks for looking...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

btulloh

That ice cream mixer would look good attached to one of your gear motors.  Then you can cut some staves and make a tub for it to fit in.  I guess you'll need the the container and lid and paddles too.  Maybe it's a bigger project than I thought.  Anyway, that mixer brings back memories.
HM126

paul case

Is that a thumb pump oiler on that chainsaw? I thought all the newer ones had auto oiler on them.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kbeitz

Quote from: paul case on August 22, 2017, 07:53:15 AM
Is that a thumb pump oiler on that chainsaw? I thought all the newer ones had auto oiler on them.

PC

I'm thinking that this saw is old.... It's heavy...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I just looked it up... It's 27 years old.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Yes, that is a thumb pump oiler.  I have one that is plastic/nylon like the one pictured and another that has a brass pump knob.  Better put your ear muffs on because those saws are LOUD, and slow.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gww

Those little (and big) homelites are all I used my whole life untill about 3 years ago when my last two gave out and are probly in the junk yard.  I remember my cousens using the Mcculloch.  We were all pretty loyal to our brand and more then willing to look down on the other brand.  I grew up thinking that Mcculloch were hard to start :).
Cheers
gww

Ox

I cut ALOT of wood with an old Homelite Super XL with the thumb oiler.  I mean a lot.  It's got enough torque that you can really undercut when sharpening and take the rakers right down to crazy depths and it'll still pull a 20" chain loop on a hard nose bar.  I could keep up with the Husqvarnas the other loggers and woodcutters were using.  It was funny to see their faces when I pulled it out and in some cases outperformed their expensive modern saws with an old "clunker". 

Yes, they're loud, heavy and vibrate horrible.  But they always start easy and run flawlessly.  At least mine did.  I'll always have a fondness for the old Homelites.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

I have no idea what I will ever do with mine except keep them for whatever reason.  They both still crank and run.  I quit using them because of the lack of a chain brake.

Yup, a piece of hidden fence wire caused a kickback.  Eighteen stitches.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gww

Magic
I wish I had them cause my huskavarna 350 is falling apart and I have stolen dads stihl 390 cause I am too cheep to buy more saws and too lazy to fix the two that dad still has laying around.  I find that the one with the gas leak runs good but I find gas leaks hard to fix.  I think the closest to hurting my self that I remember is I cut into my tennis shoe and the greatest avoidince of real dangerous stuff that happended more then once was turning around with the saw in my hand and somebody standing or working there.  Sooo lucky.  I like working by myself when cutting up stuff. I am sure there are tons of other times that I got lucky that I can't remember or did not even notice. My smallest homelite newer modle had a chain break (plus auto oiler) on it but it was a total piece of junk.
Cheers
gww

Magicman

Maybe someday we can make a rendezvous.   ;D

paul case

A local logger named Junior and his brother Max worked together all the time. Max relayed a story to me about his brother Junior's homelite xl super. If there was a bigger one it was probably that one. Junior left it at a saw shop and when he went back to pick it up a couple novice woodcutters were admiring Junior's saw and going on and on about how heavy it was. One said that he thought you would need a wheelbarrel to carry it in the woods. Junior shut them up when he said''If I couldnt take at least that big of a saw to the woods, I would just stay at home and play with mommie.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kbeitz

I worked it hard today for about an hour. I kinda like the pump oiler.
I also have an old super xl weed eater hanging in the shop.
My dad ran it for years. Talk about heavy.

You all might like to see this. It's also an xl
I never even tried to start it.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

coxy

we use to use them saws for cutting blue stone :o  what a pain it would be to use them again  the new cut off saws are wonderful

grouch

That's the first gasoline powered portable circular saw I've seen.
Find something to do that interests you.

Kbeitz

Quote from: grouch on August 23, 2017, 05:42:22 AM
That's the first gasoline powered portable circular saw I've seen.

This is the third one that I bought. They are a big collectors item.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I found this with some logging chains. Anyone have any idea what they are used for ?

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

coxy

they go on a chain to hook in a car/truck frame for holding them on a trailer   can you find me a good clutch fan for a 671 Detroit please

Crusarius

Those hooks are very useful. The fat end goes into the slots on a car frame so you actually have someplace to hook chains to. The are usually connected directly to the chains along with J hook and whatever else the towing companies use.

What coxy said :)

Kbeitz

Quote from: coxy on August 31, 2017, 05:44:12 PM
they go on a chain to hook in a car/truck frame for holding them on a trailer   can you find me a good clutch fan for a 671 Detroit please

That's funny.. Today i looked at a 671 Detroit in the junkyard that's for sale.
It's hooked up to a 540amp 3 phase generator all for sale for $1000.00
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Kbeitz,can you found me a millon dollars please   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

Thanks... With that information I googled it and found it to be called a R-hook.
Made for  Chevrolet.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!