iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mineral streak in wood..

Started by chain, August 15, 2011, 07:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

A couple of decades ago some timber buyers discounted sawtimber trees from certain areas known for 'mineral streaks' in sawed wood.

the questions are, what really is 'mineral streak'?  In cycles of higher grade-timber prices, are discounts such as MS, more likely to be overlooked?

beenthere

I suspect timber buyers are looking for anything to lower the price they offer, and mineral streak is real. MS could be bacterially infected wood causing a darkening that runs in streaks. In the higher grades of lumber, these streaks are likely not allowed in the clear cuttings that make up the lumber grades. Some purchases may qualify mineral streaks as no defect so are then allowed in the cuttings. Prices by grade will adjust to accomodate the streak if allowed.

Not sure this answers your question, but may hint at it. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I don't think the mineral stain will be overlooked in higher prices, because those prices demand a top notch product. In veneer the top prices are on hardwood you won't find very common around here, big and clear. If anything, they get a whole lot fussier as the price climbs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GeneH

We cut a few acre size patch of oak in a big cow pasture one time and the forester at the mill said the butt logs had an issue with staining from the cows being in it. Some of the butts did have stain I could see, was this from the cows or the soil? That was the only time I heard of this.

SwampDonkey

Cows in the woods injure tree roots and sometimes animals will eat the bark off trees to. I've seen horses remove the bark.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

What's commonly called mineral streak in oak is caused by a bacterial infection.  Black oak is real susceptible in my area. The wholesalers tell me it falls apart in the kiln.  You usually see it associated with shake.  Technically, its not a defect in lumber, but some buyers will specify no mineral.

Other streaks that are called mineral may be something to do with bugs.  Gum streak in cherry is caused by the peach borer, and usually can be controlled in the next crop by when you do the harvesting on the current crop.  It effects the residual trees.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

It's also been found that but rot in spruce and fir is from an infection when the tree was still a sapling and probably precipitated when stressed from suppression or injury.

WDH

Compaction from cattle hooves (perfectly designed packing devices) can seriously impact tree vigor which allows all sorts of less-than-desirable things to precipitate.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!